Sound Quality

Guest Med Transcriptionist

Guest Med Transcriptionist

I receive dictation files from my office, where the dictation sounds fine. When I download the files to my computer something happens and causes the dictation to sound like a robot. How do I adjust it so it sounds normal again? Please help!!

You may want to make sure that your speed setting is correct, i.e. at 20 – 50% it won’t sound very good at all. This may also have something to do with your sound control setting. In the Express Scribe Setting (Playback) there is a drop-down control. The “Default Sound Out” setting works well at normal speed but will sound like Mr. Roboto at slower speeds. This may improve if you have a sound card installed and select that rather than the “Default Sound Out”.

Good luck

it could also be a sample rate problem with your soundcard. I have seen some soundcards that are very unhappy playing back 8khz sample rate. If you have a cheapo sound card, that could be the problem. Most of the old or new soundblaster cards work well, and are recognized by windows without installing drivers. A workaround is to convert the samplerate with a sound editing program. Audacity would probably do it, but I haven't tried it to be sure. Cool Edit would certainly do it, but many people don't have that, and it costs.