Help with Background Noise

kaz

Hello All :)

I'm new to this forum, and am hoping somebody can help me out. I've got about a 4 minute recording that I'm trying to edit so that I can hear the conversation that was taped. It was recorded via recorder, but there's so much hum and hiss - at the time, I think the furnace came on. I've tried using WavePad(have never used a sound editor before), but it's all still very muffled.

Is there anybody out there with more knowledge than I, that would consider helping me out if I sent them the recording. I'm stumped as to how to favorably edit it. I know I'm asking for some of your time, but am hoping the challenge may be intriguing???, not to mention my appreciation.

Thanks in advance for any consideration to this matter!!!

Kaz

• 1 month later...

Hello All :)

I'm new to this forum, and am hoping somebody can help me out. I've got about a 4 minute recording that I'm trying to edit so that I can hear the conversation that was taped. It was recorded via recorder, but there's so much hum and hiss - at the time, I think the furnace came on. I've tried using WavePad(have never used a sound editor before), but it's all still very muffled.

Is there anybody out there with more knowledge than I, that would consider helping me out if I sent them the recording. I'm stumped as to how to favorably edit it. I know I'm asking for some of your time, but am hoping the challenge may be intriguing???, not to mention my appreciation.

Thanks in advance for any consideration to this matter!!!

Kaz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. Here is a little info to help you get started or finished. God bless!

Shut down all unnecessary programs running. (each creates noise)

1. Record the tape to cp at the lowest volume possible , yet still hear the conversation.

This will eliminate some of the hum & recorder noise. It may take several tries & is not a bad idea to do a couple takes.

2 make a back up copy of what you just did. Then backup the backup…lol crazy.. u may understand this later, if you never need it.. you DID have a backup though. Lots of mistakes are made between “here & there”

3. Now in the Wavepad program on the command bar there is an effects go there effects/ DC Offset correction

Highlight the piece your working on & run that, always listening to the data before & after you edit. Your ear is usually the best instrument. USA is 60 htz other is 50 htz. U can run somne of these fixs several times if your ear does not like what it hears. You can always backup I think 10 times in wavepad.

Note; I believe in lots of backups I run a file say file; DB112210_1 the DB is what it is. the 122210 is the date & the _1 is the take. _2 , _3,_4…ect.. backup takes 2 seconds a “redo” ?? minutes – hours ?

Trial & error is the name of the game.

4. Now your ready to edit;

Go to Effects click on “High Pass filter” set that to about “250” / highlight your piece & run. This cuts out lows

THen Go to commands then click on; Effects then Noise reduction, then to grab a piece of.

1. You only want to grab a small piece like about .180 or .300 of a second much more the program will create its own “artifact” Highlight that portion then click the ; “Grab noise sample” in the noise reduction dropbox. DONE.

2. Highlight the whole file or just the noisy section you want to clean. Then open the noise Reduction & click on “APPLY” Then listen to the section that you applied it to, IF you hear what sounds like a bunch of “Squirrels”, Your SAMPLE was too large. Use the undo feature & go back to the point of grabbing sample & redo it.

It is trial & error till you learn to “Ride the pony” ..lol

How many times can you do this? There is almost an infinite amount of tonalities, focus on the noisy sections

And repeat the above.

Note; on the furnace section you can use the Freq analysis to

find it then use the filters in effects/ equalizer to lesson it.

I battle "Abuse of police Powers" There is only one God.