Jerkiness in video during recording

KLRadcliffe

I recently purchased and installed the Debut Professional program. When I attempt to do a recording, the audio works well but the video is jerky. This happens whether I am using an Internet video or a video that I have saved on my hard drive. I have made the settings as recommended in the Debut Help section as follows:

File Type: avi

Video Compressor: MPEG4 (native)

Video Compression Settings: 8192 (4096 is the highest setting shown in the drop down box so I had to enter 8192 manually)

Sound Compressor: MP3 (native)

Sound Format: 44100 Hz, 128 kbps, stereo

I am using Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3, Pentium 4 CPU 3 GHz, 2.49 GB RAM.

Can someone assist me in resolving this problem? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the "jerky"ness occurring; when you capture the video in the debut window, or when you are playing back? What program do you use for playback? Where are you capturing from: screen, webcam, netwrok camera?

Where is the "jerky"ness occurring; when you capture the video in the debut window, or when you are playing back? What program do you use for playback? Where are you capturing from: screen, webcam, netwrok camera?

Thanks for the response concerning the "jerkiness" with the Debut program. The jerkiness begins as soon as I begin the Debut recording process and also is present during the playback process. There is no jerkiness when viewing the video prior to recording with Debut and the jerkiness stops as soon as Debut is stopped. I was using Windows Media Player to view the recorded program. I have tried recording from both a video saved on my hard drive as well as from Internet streaming video. I am using Debut for screen capturing. Thanks for whatever assistance you can provide to help me with this issue. Ken. kenmarco@juno.com

Thanks for the response concerning the "jerkiness" with the Debut program. The jerkiness begins as soon as I begin the Debut recording process and also is present during the playback process. There is no jerkiness when viewing the video prior to recording with Debut and the jerkiness stops as soon as Debut is stopped. I was using Windows Media Player to view the recorded program. I have tried recording from both a video saved on my hard drive as well as from Internet streaming video. I am using Debut for screen capturing. Thanks for whatever assistance you can provide to help me with this issue. Ken. kenmarco@juno.com

Has anyone figured out this issue? I am having the same problem. I have tried the same settings as described above and my recordings are still jerky (quick pauses during recording). I am trying to record streaming video and watching the video in my browser does not show any jerkiness. However, in the Debut window, I can see the pauses as they happen and during playback of the recorded video the jerkiness is still there. As my browser plays the videos without any issue, I have to assume it is a setting in Debut.

I am running on AC power with an Intel Cor i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz and 8GB RAM

Please help!

KLR,

It sounds like your PC is lagging when the video capture begins. Remember that capturing video from your screen requires SIGNIFICANT system resources. You might try taking a look at your task manager to see how much of your system resources is available to debut. Also, its writing this information to your hardrive... If the video is coming from your harddrive too, that could point to some trobule with your disk's access rate. your might try upgrading to a more high performance disk.

• 1 year later...

• THANKS FOR THIS POST!! I have had this same problem on occasion. A favorite (rented) Windows XP PC that I'd used for 2 years suddenly developed this "jerkiness" after it had been re-formatted (due to a virus attack).

I thought it was because a competing video program (such as Graboid) had been installed.

Think the capacity of the computer is 500 Gb.

Yes,MPEG is the "right" setting. Huffnayev itself produces jerkiness.....Also,sometimes I deliberately record the minimized (small screen) versions of videos. That works better. Sometimes I have to use a jumper audio cable (from speaker output to microphone input) to achieve audio....but that apparently has been fixed.

Note that sometimes,the file has to be re-processed via NCH VideoPad VideoEditor. Use the "smoothness" panel to add detail to the video. (Setting can be +5 or +10 - with original scale of "50")

DEBUT is a lifesaver and it was worth the $40 license fee. It's quite unique. I also use it to record images of files (as a record of what I have on cruzer USB's,etc.) Allows mixed media recording as a video! :mellow:

What about my situation,then? DEBUT does reach 30 fps on another computer...but,that's a Windows Vista one.I don't know how to re-assign the percentage of computer power sent to the DEBUT software.

In any event,when using .avi I always have to direct the output to Desktop (or My Videos) and then move that file to my USB.

When I use a high-quality Hewlett-Packard computer (such as at FedEx) I can output directly to that USB

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have windows 8, i7,16 Gb ram, 2 GB dedicated Graphics card, High speed net. I use Debut exclusively for Game capture and I'm not happy with the lag I get uppon playback,. I capture in AVI high quality 30 FPS,. The quality is great, The Lag and scratchy audio is pissing me off!, Not to metion I am unable to record my own vioce when using Team speak,. To add insult to injury, Premeir Pro doesnt accept any format I record using Debut. I do love NCH Vidio Pad editer but having adobe creative cloud and not being able to use it with Debut recorded content is a fracking greek tragedy! Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also have a problem with jerky playback in Windows Media Player. I am recording streaming internet video, but I am not previewing the video as I record. I am using a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7, a T4200 Dual Core 2GHz Pentium, 4GBytes of Ram and a 250GByte Hard Drive.

• 1 month later...

Very unsatisfied with this product.. Using the free version, but if it doesn't work, I will NOT buy the commercial one. Video is choppy, and from reading about it a LOT of prople have the same problem. My computer is plenty good enough to use this product, as I have done a lot of video work with no probelems usung usb live 2 Hardware..

• 1 month later...

I've been having this problem lately too, after more than 2 years of using various versions of Debut. I screen-capture webcams on two i7 laptops, the playback is terrible and editing (cutting and joining) therefore difficult.

I changed from recording in avi to mp4, which eased the problems a little.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have exactly the same problem try to record any stream ,and soon as you press record the stream starts to stutter ,as for the play back of the recording it is worse

I have paid for this product I am very unhappy to say the least ,I had been using bsr screen recorder with no problems ,stupidly thought this product would be ok or better ,it is not ....I have brand new lap top with windows 8 loaded there is nothing worong with my hardware there is obviously a problem with this product ...

• 5 years later...
  1. You must do this right to avoid jerkiness! I always REDUCE the size of the image (if possible) by using the "...." controls and right-clicking to 50% or even 25% of the screen;.

Paradoxically,sometimes ENLARGING the text REDUCES the size of the video (use 400 % for example.)

2. With NETFLIX basically you cannot change the size. BUT you CAN record at 60 FPS instead of the usual 30.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using this software a long time for my work and lately the last week  or so, it started stalling while recording and really messing up the synced audio  .. I even bought a new computer because I thought my old one finally was biting it after 14 years even though it was still an i7.  it's doing the same thing on the brand new computer on steroids.  this is really a huge problem.  I have to use another software now.  but I love this software and want it fixed! :D if someone knows how to fix it I would love to know how please.

• 11 months later...

I am having the same issues. Worked great for nearly 1 year v5.33. Then starting with the jerky playback about 1 month ago. Asked company and was sent update 6.22. Just the same then 6.30. All the same. Have tried AVI, MP4 etc and no change. The company pass me about and I get knowhere. Very dissapointed after an early good start.

Im using a Lenova Cove i7 with 16GB Ram

Any help would be appreciated