Annoying distortion with conversion

Tim Z

My wife has a Mac and I have a PC. I have been looking for a way to convert her iTune M4a files to standard MP3 files and recently found this program Switch. I downloaded it today and it was very easy to do the conversion, and I thought all was well. However, the sound quality of the conversion is not good at all. I did the conversion to 192 kbps, which should definitely be a decent quality. I run a small home recording studio and have top quality studio speakers and AD/DA converters. Unless I can get the conversion sound quality to be better, the program will be useless for me. The output files have an annoying distortion to them, which I cannot understand why it should be there. All other MP3 conversions that I do myself from wav files are perfect, but they were not converted with Switch.

Antything you can suggest that might be the root of this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Must be something to do with the M4a files. I tried the conversion with two other applications, and in every case the resulting MP3's have an annoying distortion in them. Must be something iTunes are doing with the M4a files to make it unacceptable to turn them into MP3's.

Uncle :(

Must be something to do with the M4a files. I tried the conversion with two other applications, and in every case the resulting MP3's have an annoying distortion in them. Must be something iTunes are doing with the M4a files to make it unacceptable to turn them into MP3's.

Uncle :(

What distortion are you referring to? I convert from m4a to mp3 all the time and never hear any distortion. You have to remember tracks from itunes, though lossly, are cd quality. Downgrading the sound file to mp3 192kbps for example will only reduce the sound quality. the m4a (from itunes) is optimum sound quality so to preserve that you will need to convert using the optimum quality no matter which format you use. in the mp3 case you should choose 320kbps and there will be no distortion or reduced quality.

when i say "cd quality" i'm not referring to the mathematical signal i'm referring to the sound perceived by the human ear.