cannot locate media files and overlay problems after changing computer

coppermouse

OK I changed to a new computer and the user name etc... is different. I had a location on desktop for all the files but now the name of the computer is different so I understand why I get the error, but is there some global way to change the location of all of the files instead of clicking on each one, because there are like 50 different clips.

Also it has done something strange, in between clips I had like 10 -15 seconds of black space and overlay text in each one explaining the clip, but now all the overlay text is squished together to the leftside on the timeline below the beginning of the clips and not allingned with the proper clips (black space clips) the way they were previously so the text is like jumbled together. How can I easily fix this?? Thanks

Great, I will do it, thanks

Hi Coppermouse

There is a way to do this en masse but it's a bit phaffy. See below.

If you have a different name on the new PC then VP won't find the files for your project (assuming tat you saved a project file). The first way is for you to put all the missing files in one folder on, say, the desk top, (or wherever you can find them) and then load the project. All the missing files will show up in red in the media list window. Click the first one on the list then select "File details". Locate the place where you have put your files and load it to the list. Now you can copy the location. (Not the file name though...

e.g. C:\USERS\Nat\Desktop\......

For all the other files in red, just click - select "File details" and paste the new location into the window in place of the old one.Followed by OK. This is slow but sure but there is a quicker way. (I think it should work)

First of all copy your project data file (.vpj file)to another safe place and pull ALL your project files (clips and images etc)to a single folder placed where you can use it.

Now open Notepad and pull the original project data file (the .vpj file) and drop it into notepad. It will open as a text file. ..... a bit like this.....

version=3

hindex=1459

folders=0

files=9&relativepath=0

h=1&type=1&path=C%3A%5CUsers%5CNat%5CDesktop%5CWMVs%20to%20BURN%20to%20DVD%5Ceclipse.wmv&duration=247160

h=2&type=0&path=C%3A%5CUsers%5CNat%5CDesktop%5CWMVs%20to%20BURN%20to%20DVD%5Ceclipse.wmv&duration=247160...........

It looks a bit complicated especially as it may appear as a single block of text but if you look at the section after the word "path=" you can see it is in fact the address of one of the files in your project from your old computer. Here it is below...

C%3A%5CUsers%5CNat%5CDesktop%5CWMVs%20to%20BURN%20to%20DVD%5Ceclipse.wmv

In fact what it reads is.. C:\Users\Nat\Desktop\WMVs to BURN to DVD\eclipse.wmv

("eclipse.wmv" is the filename. This of course is an example from my PC the address from your pc file will be slightly different.

Now, you will need to change every instance of the bit I have made Bold text into the address of your new location..(but NOT including the file name!)

The characters : \ space etc. are entered as %3A% %5C %20 etc. (In practice however you can simply change the relevant words in the first occurance of the address line in your text to get the correct string) Once it is correct copy it again (without the file name!)because you are going to paste it back elsewhere in a minute.

So the original line might read....

C%3A%5CUsers%5CNat%5CDesktop%5CWMVs%20to%20BURN%20to%20DVD%5Ceclipse.wmv

and you have changed it to for example....

C%3A%5CUsers%5CCoppermouse%5CMy%20Files%5Project%20Clips%5Ceclipse.wmv

Note that if your new folder names include spaces (eg "My Files" or "Project Clips" you have to enter %20 in place of the space.

In notepad now, you can simply find and replace all the occurences of the old text string with the new one in one step.

Click on "Edit" and then "Replace"

In the Search box enter the text line to be replaced (the bit in bold shown earlier...Your bit obviously! :P )

In the "Replaced by" box paste your corrected text that you just copied and then click the "Replace all" button. This will change all the old addresses in the text to your new one. (Obviously all the relevant files should be at this address.)

Now Save the notepad file back (with the same name) It should save back as a .vpj file overwriting the old one. If it doesn't overwrite and saves as a .txt file, simply rename it with the .vpj extension. If it cocks up no problem as you still have your original project file saved elsewhere and you can try again.

Double click your new project file to see whether it will open in VP.

I don't know about your overlay frames but I suspect that that data will also load back properly.

Hope this works. If it's not clear come back.

Nat