what does rip mean?

Guest Belinda Blease

Guest Belinda Blease

ignorant to this...what does rip from CD mean? Does it remove what I have on the CD? Or is it just another word for "copy from"

thanks

ignorant to this...what does rip from CD mean?  Does it remove what I have on the CD?  Or is it just another word for "copy from"

thanks

Pretty much yes,it really just means taking audio from a disc and copying it into data on your PC,like when you hear kids say "I just ripped the new Kayne West Cd onto my computer",they just copied it onto their comp,it's simple really.

And no it does not remove what you have on the CD,the music from an audio Cd can never be removed,just copied,now if you have a CD-RW,those can be erased,but that won't happen unless you chose to erase it to use it for different music or data,that's what they are made for,while CD-R's are made for one time use,hope that helps.

• 3 months later...
Pretty much yes,it really just means taking audio from a disc and copying it into data on your PC,like when you hear kids say "I just ripped the new Kayne West Cd onto my computer",they just copied it onto their comp,it's simple really.

And no it does not remove what you have on the CD,the music from an audio Cd can never be removed,just copied,now if you have a CD-RW,those can be erased,but that won't happen unless you chose to erase it to use it for different music or data,that's what they are made for,while CD-R's are made for one time use,hope that helps.

:unsure: How do you rip music from cds to mp3s?

• 5 months later...

• 4 months later...

Ripping makes a copy of the tracks, often with loss of information.

What is meant by ripping is that you are stealing the copyrights.

In Belgium you are allowed to posses one copy of a copyrighted work

like a audio CD. E.g. 1:you buy a audio CD. you are allowed to make

one verbatim copy on a writable CD (for example for your weekend

home). You are also allowed to rip

the cda tracks to for example mp3, download them on your mp3

player, and listen to them. E.g. 2: you rent an audio CD from a

media library. You are not allowed to make a verbatim copy

because the original belongs to the library. You are also not allowed

to rip to mp3 because then you rip, steal the cost of the audio CD

from the author of the CD. You are not allowed to make a copy because it is

not you who have bought the audio CD. If you want to listen to

the CD or near equivalent mp3 tracks you must buy the audio CD.

By copying, you rip or steal revenues from the author/singer.

• 3 months later...