Problem with width of video display

newbie101

Hi

I have just started using Video Pad and find it an excellent tool. I do have one problem though. I am compiling clips from DVDs of a TV show and have three seperate DVDs representing three series of the show.

I use VLC media player to record the clips that I want, which are saved in mpg files. If I replay the mpg files in VLC the result is perfect, with the clip filling the VLC display window. When I add the files to Video Pad I find that clips from the Series 2 and 3 DVDs are perfect, with the clip preview, sequence preview and timeline all displaying the clip fully (and filling the clip priview and sequence preview display).

When I edit and export the clips, all is still perfect and the exported file plays without fault. HOWEVER, whenever I add mpg files from the Series 1 DVD they have black bands at either side of the display in the clip preview, sequence preview and timeline. If I edit the clips together and export the file, the black bands are still there.

It's almost as if the source DVD was filmed in non-widescreen but it wasn't and has Aspect Ratio 16.9 written on the back of the DVD case.

My settings for VLC player are exactly the same for my copying of each DVD so I really am at a loss as to why Video Pad seems to display files from just one DVD in a narrow display but the files are displayed normally when played in VLC player.

Any help would be appreciated as I am a novice.