Video Formats ...?

Guest gdwarner

Guest gdwarner

Hello ...!

I have to transcribe a video I have downloaded off of YouTube (.flv format). I hear Express Scribe supports video, but I can't seem to find exactly what formats those are. Does anyone know? I need to convert the .flv file to ... well, whatever format is supported.

Thanks ....

--gdw

Wow, 37 views and no answers!

Fortunately, I did some spelunking through the various forum topics, and found mention of the .mp4 format. Taking that as a big hint, I tried to use Visual Hub for the conversion, but discovered two things: One, there's an update available that I couldn't download; two, the developer no longer supports this product, and three, it would have only worked on a video that was less than five minutes in length in demo mode (the one I needed to convert was about 20 minutes).

I then used Handbrake to convert the .flv file to .mp4, and was able to load and play the video through Express Scribe.

As I didn't need the video to be full screen, I'll have to be a bit more selective with the conversion process; it went from a ~1.5MB .flv file to an ~80MB .mp4 file(!!) So, probably further processing with iSquint might have helped.

Hopefully this will help someone else who is curious about how Express Scribe handles video on a Mac!

--gdw