CPU Usage

Guest HMR

Dear Sir/Madam

I'm an Electronic engineer and I'm interested in using your software product (VRS v 5.31). In my project, I want to implement a multi-channel voice recorder which receives the audio signals from 12 input channels. I downloaded VRS v5.31 trial version from your web site and used 12 USB sound card with USB hub for voice recording. When I use 12 audio channels simultaneously, the CPU usage reaches 100%. In this situation how can I add more Audio cards to the system? It must be noted that my computer has Pentium 4 (Core 2 duo E7400 2.80GHZ) processor and 2GB DDR RAM.

Can I decrease the CPU usage and add more than 12 audio cards to my system?

In your site, it has been pointed out that up to 96 audio channel can be used with your software (VRS V 5.31). How can I do it?

Please guide me.

Regards

In my experience, the limitations have to do with hardware and bus speeds not the software. For example, take your USB hub and divide it's bandwidth by 12, do you now have enough bandwidth per USB card for Audio? If you are only operating with a 400MHz bus, then a USB hub at or below this bandwidth, you only have 33.3MHz of the bus available per card at best. The fact that the software is capable of operating up to 96 audio channels does not mean the hardware you have purchased is capable of this.

However, a couple of things you can try to maximize the bandwidth you do have is:

• Minimize the number of filters/compression/features that you are using that adds to bandwidth and CPU cycles.
  • Choose a lower bit rate for the recording of audio streams.
  • The more audio cards you can place directly on the buss the better.
  • A 64 bit buss will be better than a 32 bit bus.

To me, it sounds like you will need to spend more money in hardware or sacrifice audio quality.

-GW