Splitting files

spacker

Hi GR People

1. What are the best settings for getting GR to split files, specifically the noise floor and the recording level? My attempts so far have failed to have individual tracks created.

2. I have recorded whole sides of LP's but when I put cursor points in to split the file, the files do not split at the breaks I select, either by volume, or by the actual length of the track from the LP. So is this a problem on the trial version or generally.

3. If I "fast forward" the play function to save time the sound and the time stamp do not match at all, so cursor points become a waste of time.

Looking forward to some help.

Cheers

Woody

Hi GR People

1. What are the best settings for getting GR to split files, specifically the noise floor and the recording level? My attempts so far have failed to have individual tracks created.

2. I have recorded whole sides of LP's but when I put cursor points in to split the file, the files do not split at the breaks I select, either by volume, or by the actual length of the track from the LP. So is this a problem on the trial version or generally.

3. If I "fast forward" the play function to save time the sound and the time stamp do not match at all, so cursor points become a waste of time.

Looking forward to some help.

Cheers

Woody

It's been a few months since I used GR, but as I remember; upon starting GR you are asked if you want to be guided for settings. Absolutely choose guidance for proper setting of levels.

When clicking to start recording from the main screen a dialog box appears asking if you want GR to separate recordings automatically. This box must be checked. There is also a choice of selecting the length of silence between tracks to trigger auto separation. Set initially at 2 sec. minimum, 3 sec max.

Trial to separate an entire record side into tracks by editing will fail. You are limited to 3 files (two cursor points) as I remember. If you must, separate two tracks, creating a third file of several tracks and then separate this file into three segments. Repeat as needed. Post again if this doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few months since I used GR, but as I remember; upon starting GR you are asked if you want to be guided for settings. Absolutely choose guidance for proper setting of levels.

When clicking to start recording from the main screen a dialog box appears asking if you want GR to separate recordings automatically. This box must be checked. There is also a choice of selecting the length of silence between tracks to trigger auto separation. Set initially at 2 sec. minimum, 3 sec max.

Trial to separate an entire record side into tracks by editing will fail. You are limited to 3 files (two cursor points) as I remember. If you must, separate two tracks, creating a third file of several tracks and then separate this file into three segments. Repeat as needed. Post again if this doesn't work.

Still had no success with the inbuilt file splitting in GR and was able to add as many cursor points as I needed, but they didn't match the starts and ends of songs.

In the end I downloaded the free wave splitter program and that has proven reasonably successful, just need to play with the seconds between songs and DB level to sense "silence".

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been having the same problem. In classical music with quiet sessions, it GR wants to split at every quiet part. There is a setting where you can tell it how long the quiet should be before it splits the track but this setting appears to be ignored - splits happen with 1 or 2 second silences even if I put 7 seconds as the setting!

The Donald: Welcome to the forum. I too have encountered issues with GR wanting to split classical music at quiet stretches. My solution is to turn off auto splitting and reduce the noise floor. It does require that you take full control of the recording session. This isn't really a bug - how could GR be expected to determine what is a quiet passage and what is a quiet space between tracks? The software can only do so much. The splitting gets triggered by sustained input at the noise floor or below.

I know that is probably not the "automated" solution you were looking for, but I really don't think there is a way to overcome this issue automatically, though others, with more experience than I, might have some valuable suggestions.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

While I have had many successful recording sessions setting the noise floor and having the software split album tracks, I now usually just record each side as a whole track, and then edit it with WavePad. I experience less headaches splitting the tracks myself, rather than piecing improperly split bits back together. Takes more time, but hey, I really enjoy working with this stuff, and I usually perform other editing like cleaning up silence between tracks, lowering the amplification of pops, etc…

• 7 years later...
On 3/6/2010 at 4:03 AM, crackshot35 said:

When clicking to start recording from the main screen a dialog box appears asking if you want GR to separate recordings automatically. This box must be checked. There is also a choice of selecting the length  Torrent TurboTax Gogoanime of silence between tracks to trigger auto separation. Set initially at 2 sec. minimum, 3 sec max.