How Do I Set Up Broadwave?

endtime

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to Broadwaves as well.

When I open broadwaves and click 'connect', I keep getting the message "Internet explorer cannot display this page".

And this address appears(http://localhost:88/) on the page. I've found out the IP address but I don't know what else to do.

Your advise and guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Endtime.

Hi endtime, welcome to the forum.

There are a number of things to try, many have been answered in other posts, for exmaple this one: http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=12730

Remember that you need to open up the correct port in Windows Firewall (or other firewall software you are using).

You do need to check the port number, that the number defined in the Broadwave options is the same number which Windows Firewall tries to open up - I have found that often it is not, so you will need to change / add the port number in.

Hi KenA,

Thanks for the reply. I've followed the link to your other post and did everything you said there but it still hasn't work.

I got the IP address of the PC that I'm using and tried it with this http://myipaddress:8...x?src=1&kbps=56 but it didn't work.

There must be something that I'm doing wrong. Your further suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Endtime.

Hi endtime,

How far did you get? Did you manage to connect from a second PC on the local network?

If not, then check the port configured into Broadwave is the same number that is being allowed by Windows Firewall (it sometimes isn't). I'm assuming you know the internal IP address for the PC running Broadwave server (you can find it out by typing the command IPCONFIG /ALL from Start / Run or from a Command Prompt window).

Once you have got a connection on the internal network, then you need to open up the router firewall an re-direct the port. There'a a good set of instructions written by xisle35 elsewhere in this forum.

When you try to connect from outside your network, you'll need to use the public IP address of your router, whereas internal connections need to use the local IP of the PC running Broadwave.

In both cases, the port number will be the same, unless you have implemented port-re-direction too, which most people don't.

Hi endtime,

How far did you get? Did you manage to connect from a second PC on the local network?

If not, then check the port configured into Broadwave is the same number that is being allowed by Windows Firewall (it sometimes isn't). I'm assuming you know the internal IP address for the PC running Broadwave server (you can find it out by typing the command IPCONFIG /ALL from Start / Run or from a Command Prompt window).

Once you have got a connection on the internal network, then you need to open up the router firewall an re-direct the port. There'a a good set of instructions written by xisle35 elsewhere in this forum.

When you try to connect from outside your network, you'll need to use the public IP address of your router, whereas internal connections need to use the local IP of the PC running Broadwave.

In both cases, the port number will be the same, unless you have implemented port-re-direction too, which most people don't.

Hi KenA,

I couldn’t connect to a local network from a second PC. I got the internal ip address and even changed it to a static ip address by changing the last two numbers through instructions that I got from the internet but still didn’t work.

I tried to follow xisle35’s guide but when I open control panel and internet connection, I couldn’t find “properties, sharing, services,” that xisle35 was talking about, I got lost in it. I’m using windows XP 2007. When I open control panel and Network Connections, I see “WAN-1 on…(wireless)” , “….Connection”, and “Local Area Connection”. When I right click on any of them and go to properties, it gives me a different window, “General/Advance”. When I click Settings in Advance it opens another window, “General/Exception/Advance”. It was not exactly how xisle35 puts it.

I don’t know whether the problem now is to open up the router firewall and re-direct the port, which I can’t get my head around it, or something else is not right.

I’ve read other posts in the forum and have spent hours trying to follow the instructions but for some reason there’s something that I’m not doing right and yet can’t put my finger on it.

Endtime.

Hi Endtime,

If you can't connect to your stream from a second PC on you local network, here's what to check:

1. Are you using the correct local IP address?

If you are connecting Within your local network, the IP address you need to specify is the address of the PC running Broadwave. You can find this out by typing the Command-Prompt command "IPCONFIG /ALL" (without quotes) and look for the IP v4 address for the physical ethernet connector on that PC (it's better to use a wired connection rather than wireless). It will often look something like 192.168.0.2 for example.

2. What port are you using?

Pick a number, Broadwave suggests 88, but you can use any free port.

In Broadwave, click Options, and in the General Tab, look at the "server Port" setting, and set this to the number you want to use, then click OK.

3. Check your local firewall (the one on the Broadwave PC) is allowing incoming traffic on that port.

(This instruction is for Windows XP). If you're using Windows Firewall, open it, select Exceptions and you get a list of programs. Click on Broadwave Web Server and then click on the Edit button. The port number shown there must be the same number as in Broadwave's options. Set it, make sure the TCP option is selected and click OK and close all the firewall windows.

If you are not using XP, and/or have a different firewall, the principle is the same.

4. Now, try to connect from a second PC on the same network.

Connect an audio source to line in on the Broadwave PC or play some music (depending whether you have line in or stereo mix selected in Windows Recording properties). Check the level meter shown in Broadwave beside "broadwave live 1" is dancing about.

Use Winamp or Windows Media Player, on the second PC, to "open URL" and type in "http:// (put the local IP address in here) : (put the port number in here) / broadwave.mp3. Without spaces or brackets - that's just to make it easier to read. E.g. http://192.168.0.2:88/broadwave.mp3

You should hear your audio, with a few seconds delay due to the encoding. If you don't then double-check each stage again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi KenA,

Thanks for all your help and sorry that due to my odd working hours I haven’t been able to post a feedback to the last guidelines you gave me.

I followed your suggestions and made all the changes but when I tried to connect from a second computer I kept getting the following message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct.

I’ve double checked both Broadwaves and Windows Firewall and found that the changes that I made are still there, but for some reason I can’t connect. It sounds strange but for some reason I’m not able to get it right.

Is it possible that I’m leaving something out?

I need more help to make this work, any more guidelines/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Endtime.