Can't edit MPEG-4 files

kruslis

Please help!

Three month ago I bought HD video camera. Now memory card is full and I want to make some videos. But suddenly I realised that VideoPad 2 can't import my MPEG-4 videos. It'shows message: Could not open fail: travel01.mp4

Please explain what is wrong. Maybe this option is only for VidePad Pro? If it is so, that it is much more than strange - technologies gos ahead an almost every brand has non-professional HD cameras.

Please help me!

And one more. can some one explain what iss the main difference betveen free and Pro versions?

TNX!

I think the difference is just the number of options in save formats, because every time I select anything other than MPEG4 and then change the sound format from the default PCM it goes back to MPEG4 again. I'm not aware of any other missing features, correct me if I'm wrong someone :)

You might need to use NCH's Prism Converter software to make copy clips to work with (then delete them once you've made your movie). It's quick and easy. Download it and take a look. I've used VideoPad OK with AVI files containing MPEG4 (AVC/h.264) codec streams, so it should be possible. What type of camera is it, and if there's an example clip somewhere to download I'll see what works with it...?

(Stick a short clip on rapidshare.com and give us the URL it presents you with (you don't need to complete the email stuff) then we can download take a look)

Actually, I've just opened a handful of .mp4 files quite happily in VideoPad, so maybe you're missing a codec?

Can you play the clips on the PC at all? If not, try downloading MPC from http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/download-media-player-classic-hc.html and see if that plays them - or install a full codec pack that also installs MPC at the same time - try http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/k-lite_codec_pack_full.cfm

or install VLC Player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

or Apple Quicktime Player (all free)

Once you can play the files, with the codec installed, you may have better luck with VideoPad.

By the way, I don't profess to be an expert on video playback and codec issues - I'm aware that some people recommend "codec packs" and others don't.

http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/Why_Codec_Packs_Are_Bad

It's a confusing state of affairs that I aim to research more thoroughly. I do have the K-Lite codec pack with Media Player Classic, and VLC player, and Quicktime player... but I'm still hazy about how codecs are selected, how they coexist, how one has priority over others, etc. I'll get back to you when I ever make sense of it all :D

I think the difference is just the number of options in save formats, because every time I select anything other than MPEG4 and then change the sound format from the default PCM it goes back to MPEG4 again. I'm not aware of any other missing features, correct me if I'm wrong someone :)

You might need to use NCH's Prism Converter software to make copy clips to work with (then delete them once you've made your movie). It's quick and easy. Download it and take a look. I've used VideoPad OK with AVI files containing MPEG4 (AVC/h.264) codec streams, so it should be possible. What type of camera is it, and if there's an example clip somewhere to download I'll see what works with it...?

(Stick a short clip on rapidshare.com and give us the URL it presents you with (you don't need to complete the email stuff) then we can download take a look)

Well thanks for advice.

I already have Prism. I tried to play mpeg4 file from Prism - "unable to play". File as such can be played normaly on VLC or QuickTime.

If it's change something, that camera is Rollei (Germany) :-).

So you sugest to convert mpeg4 to avi. But how about quality. It will be the same? I'm afraid not.

But I will try all sugestions what was here.

Well thanks for advice.

I already have Prism. I tried to play mpeg4 file from Prism - "unable to play". File as such can be played normaly on VLC or QuickTime.

So you sugest to convert mpeg4 to avi. But how about quality. It will be the same? I'm afraid not.

Well thanks for advice.

frends.

I installed http://www.downloadatoz.com/codecs/windows-essentials-codec-pack.html

Windows Essential Codecs Pack and now everything is working fine.