.msg to WAV or mp3

Guest Helen Spurgeon

Guest Helen Spurgeon

Are there any plans to make the switch software capable of handling a .msg file for a audio recording of voice made into a PDA device such as Dell Axim 50V. I have this device and need to transfer the file into a consistent format such as mp3 or .wav, but no sofware apart from source application will recognise file format.

The PDA records voice thru the mic into a Microsoft NOTE and gives it an .msg extension. Media player won't play it, nor will the trial software of yours that I have recognise it. I can't change the file type either.. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Helen

• 3 weeks later...

I see no evidence through a google search that the .msg format is an audio format, it is most commonly used for email clients like Microsoft Outlook. You would have to contact Dell on this, if your .msg files really do have audio in them then no one else will be able to help you on this except Dell.

I have a similar problem. I have used my imate jam to record things and when I sync with outlook these sound files become msg files. They never appear in any other format and I can't figure out a way to convert them. If I email them to someone, that person can only hear them if they use outlook as their email client.

Any ideas about how to convert msg sound files into another format would be much appreciated.

what can you see when you look at the .msg files in your email client though? are you sure the sound files are not attached to the email itself? you must be able to see something that tells you where the audio is "embedded" into the .msg file.

Maybe the .msg files are text files? Open a .msg file in notepad and tell me what you see.

• 1 month later...
what can you see when you look at the .msg files in your email client though? are you sure the sound files are not attached to the email itself? you must be able to see something that tells you where the audio is "embedded" into the .msg file.

Maybe the .msg files are text files? Open a .msg file in notepad and tell me what you see.

It appears to be a binary format. It IS an outlook message file, but it only contains the sound. I have the same issue.

I can E-mail a sample if that would help.

Guest Travis again
It appears to be a binary format.  It IS an outlook message file, but it only contains the sound.  I have the same issue.

I can E-mail a sample if that would help.

okay.... for all those of you browsing and finging this... you can install a free program for pocket PC 2003 called NoteM and sync these msg files to your pocket PC and it will access them as WAV and then you can explore your device and pull them off as wavs

• 1 month later...
Guest Craig Salvay

Thanks for the post on the conversion of ".msg" audio files to ".wav" formats. I will try it this pm with my new "Windows Mobile 5.0" device from Sprint.