linksys wrtg54, vista, broadwave set up

xisle35

alright it's really not to difficult, unless you, like me had no knowledge of basic networking when you get started... so lets get started.

the first thing you have to do is (once downloaded and installed of course) set up your router.

First, go to control panel, network connections, properties,sharing,services, check the box for "Web server (HTTP)" and "EDIT" this service Take note of the port that is preselected for you(mine is 80 <shruggs>) the "Name or Ip address" of the computer your using is the next thing we'll do. I use 192.169.1.200 (because it's outside the normal dhcp range(thnx Kena). But the ip you choose, as long as it is 192.168.1.xxx should be fine, I just prefer .200; now that the webserver is set up click "ok" out of the 'services' window back to the "sharing" tab. click the "Networking" tab (next to "sharing" tab) and open the properties for your TCIP/IPV4. Click "use the following ip address" and as follows

ip address : 192.168.1.200

subnet mask : 255:255:255:0

Gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS: 192.168.1.1

You can click "ok" back to your control panel/network connections window. open a web browser and type 192.168.1.1 it will ask for a password, if you havn't set one up yourself already, use "admin" for the username, and "admin" for the password, these are default settings for the linksys router.

Now we'll forward our ports.

You'll click "Applications and Gaming" there will be a form with, in order, "applications" "start port" "end port" "Protocol" "Ip Address" and "enable".

Applications : "Broad Wave" (a suggestion, you could name it "retarded blind kid" if you want to, but that may be confusing in the future.

start port: 80 (or what ever port you took note of earlier when you turned on your web server)

end port: 80 (see start port)

Protocol: TCP

ip address: 192.168.1.200

Enabled : check the check box for yes!

now save your settings.

now it's time to run broadwave, do so, and open the options

under the general tab you will see

Connection:

O This computer connects with a static ip

O Use this specified known domain or public ip

I click 'use this specified known domain or public ip and use 192.168.1.200 and make sure you specify the noted port from earlier(80) for me. I'm still not positive if this is needed or not, so hopefully the forum will clear this up for us confused folk.

now set up your live feed through line in or microphone, or set up a play list of tunes to broadcast, and click connect.

to test it I copy the 192.168.1.200:80/broadwave.... url from the autoloaded page from broadwave in an email, I change 192.168.1.200 to the my public ip (found at ipaddy.com) and under the link, i paste the redirect "audio stream supported by broadwave) link as requested by NHC into the email, and send it to myself, I then test it from both internally(first) and externally from my network.

this should pretty much cut it, let me know if i missed anything.

• 2 months later...

Hey... thanks so much for your help!

but ... I still have a problem...

I did everything you said..(I have Vista 64)

but I can't anybody outside of the network to be able to stream any audio file

actually now I can't even get into the links pages because it says taht port 80 is used by some other program

Please help!!!

Thanks again

Mauro

Port 80 is commonly used by programs which provide a web interface, so if you have a http server running, that port will be used.

You can choose any port, as long as it's not already used on your network. It would be better to use one which other people use, for example, 85 or 88. But you must check that Broadwave is configured with the port number you want, that the local firewall on your PC recognises it (which it doesn't always do by default in my experience), and thet your router firewall allows it and forwards that port to the correct internal node.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest N.C.H a.n

Hey... thanks so much for your help!

but ... I still have a problem...

I did everything you said..(I have Vista 64)

but I can't anybody outside of the network to be able to stream any audio file

actually now I can't even get into the links pages because it says taht port 80 is used by some other program

Please help!!!

Thanks again

Mauro

Hi,

Heres some rough guides on how to setup Broadwave, and how to setup port forwarding.

**************Setting up Broadwave********************

If you don't have a website, users can connect directly to your pc accross the web using your public IP address followed by the port number you have broadwave running on.

To find out your public IP go to http://www.whatismyip.com

Then In your internet router/modem configuration, forward the port that broadwave is running on (default 88), to the computer (computers local IP address) running broadwave. (to find your computers local IP address, click start -> run -> type cmd then hit ok).

Now type ipconfig and push enter and it will list the computers local Ip address)

So an outside user would then connect to Broadwave by entering http://YourPublicIP:88

eg: http://203.129.36.35:88

Then they can click on the link for the file, or stream they wish to listen to.

The best way to rule out firewalls from blocking connections is to turn off to start with.

Remember also that some antivirus programs have firewalls too.

****************setting up port forwarding****************************

To Setup port forwarding, this needs to be done on your internet router/modem.

Generally to get to the configuration of this device you will need to do the following.

Click start -> Run -> Type cmd and push enter. This will open the windows command prompt.

It should be a black window.

Type in ipconfig and push enter. This will bring up your IP configuration.

There should be a default Gateway listed. Write this down.

Also write down the IP address while your there.

Open internet explorer and up the top in the address bar where you'd normally type in say http://www.google.com, delete whatever is in there, and type in the default gateway number you wrote down. it will be something in the form of 192.168.0.1. then push enter and it will take you to your modem/router login page.

Once you login to the router/modem, look for something like port forwarding, firewall configuration, port triggering etc. Something that has information about ports.

You may have to lookup the manual or google port forwarding for the type of router/modem you have to find a port forwading guide.

You can try http://portforward.com/ as they may have a guide for your router/modem.

Onc you work it out or find a guide, forward port 88 (or whatever port you set broadwave to run on) to your computer using the ip address that you wrote down earlier. The IP address is what the router/modem uses to identify your computer on the network.

If you have any trouble with forwarding the ports and are unsure if you've done it correctly, see if your router/modem has a DMZ setting you can put your computers IP address into. This DMZ (demiliterised zone) will open every port between your computer and the internet.

If you put your computer in the DMZ and all problems go away, then you know that you haven't forwarded the ports correctly.

Unless you have very good antivirus, I wouldn't recommend leaving your computer in the DMZ forever.