Audio plays through speakers, not voice modem

eventscreative

I have two modems, a Multitech MT5656ZDX-V and a Multitech MT5634ZPX-PCI-V. Each of them will pick up the line, but when the audio plays, it plays through the computer's speakers instead of through the voice modem.

This seems to be a common problem, but reinstalling the modem did not help. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Also, I note that outgoing audio does play in outgoing calls (just not when an incoming call is answered), and that incoming audio on both incoming and outgoing calls is received fine (e.g. the modem responds to DTMF tones).

The modems both work in other, similar products that require fully TAPI compliant modems, which leads me to conclude that this is a problem with IVM, not the modems. Also, the modems are both on IVM's recommended list.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest N.C.H a.n
Also, I note that outgoing audio does play in outgoing calls (just not when an incoming call is answered), and that incoming audio on both incoming and outgoing calls is received fine (e.g. the modem responds to DTMF tones).

The modems both work in other, similar products that require fully TAPI compliant modems, which leads me to conclude that this is a problem with IVM, not the modems. Also, the modems are both on IVM's recommended list.

Hi,

This problem generally means that the driver installed is not a voice driver. So the modem will work fine for the internet, but it won't send and receive audio.

Updating the driver may fix it.

Personally I'd get rid of the modem and use voip, its more reliable than a modem if you go with a decent carrier.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue. I use version 2.04 of the software and have been using it for years with a Lucent modem on Windows 2000. I moved the modem and software to an XP Media Center PC and now it intermitantly works but usually plays nothing out the modem and sometimes plays out the speakers instead. Sounds like new nch software isn't going to help the situation. I think the problem is with RDP in XP but I haven't pinned it down. RDP redirects sound output.

• 7 months later...

It is a voice modem (on the recommended list) with a voice driver (Unimodem Full Duplex Audio installed with the modem driver, and the Modem Line Playback shows up in the list of Audio Play Devices. Interestingly, when the Play Device in the Audio settings of the Call Test Simulator are set to Modem Line Playback, I can hear the call simulator through the phone line. IVM appears to be selecting the WRONG play device when playing the call through normal operations and not through the simulator, and there seems to be no option to fix this.

VOIP, unfortunately, is not an effective solution for my application.

• 7 months later...

I can tell you for a fact this is an NCH developer issue, not a problem with the driver. I ran into the same issue with my modem so I ran through NCH's troubleshooting tips and got no joy. Feeling adventurous, I tried duplicating the issue with a different product. I chose Venta Fax & Voice to troubleshoot. Wouldn't you know, my IVR functionality worked fine with Venta! The answering machine played through the modem properly instead of routing to the speakers. Venta is a vastly inferior product though, setting up something akin to IVM is a real PITA so I would prefer to stay with IVM.

I challenge NCH software support to try the same thing and see what I'm talking about. The modem I'm using is not on the preferred list, but it is 100% TAPI compliant and again, it works fine with Venta so the driver is set up correctly and works as expected provided the software on the other end is programmed correctly. The modem I've got is even a USB modem! It's an Hiro H50113. Here's the specs. It's even Vista and Windows 7 compliant!

So yeah, NCH needs to stop pointing fingers, turn that hand around and point to themselves.