Refunds and Discounts

rpcelectronics

I am feeling kind of dumb! I can't figure out two, what I would assume be simple functions.

I have a customer that canceled an order. I want to retain the invoice for records, but I need to show that the money was refunded and take that out of the reports. Basically, I don't want the sale to show as valid and give me false income numbers. I guess I could delete the items on the invoice, but again I would lose record of what was refunded. Obviously, I don't want to outright delete the invoice. Is there a way to do this?

I have made use of the discounts function many times already, but I have two I primariy use. Is there a way to set up discount "profiles" such as an "Educational 10%" and "Dealer 15%" so I can just select it without having to type in the percentage amount every time?

Thanks!

Guest nchmw

Jason

For 1, I would add a discount to the invoice for the value of the invoice and then just make a note in the details of the discount that it was a refund due to the order being cancelled. The other thing you can do is add notes at the bottom of the invoice or just add notes for internal use only.

For 2, the best we can do is retain the description so when you click "add discount" and then over-write the description with "Education 10%" or "Dealer 15%" then they will always appear in the drop down list of discount descriptions (so you don't need to keep typing them) but you will have to enter the 10% or 15% each time.

When you do offer discounts, is the tax that your customers pay based on the initial price or after the discount? In the next version of Express Invoice we will allow you to choose if the discount includes tax or not.

For 1, I would add a discount to the invoice for the value of the invoice and then just make a note in the details of the discount that it was a refund due to the order being cancelled. The other thing you can do is add notes at the bottom of the invoice or just add notes for internal use only.

That will just have to be a fix for now. I already use the notes field for similar things. That has come in handy for custom orders!

For 2, the best we can do is retain the description so when you click "add discount" and then over-write the description with "Education 10%" or "Dealer 15%" then they will always appear in the drop down list of discount descriptions (so you don't need to keep typing them) but you will have to enter the 10% or 15% each time.

OK, I can do that for now. It might not be a bad feature to add on. Some kind of "discount profiles". Set them up in the settings and have them selectable anytime you make an invoice or work up a quote.

When you do offer discounts, is the tax that your customers pay based on the initial price or after the discount? In the next version of Express Invoice we will allow you to choose if the discount includes tax or not.

For me, when its education, they typically are tax exempt, so it doesn't really apply. For "dealers" they pay tax, so I would say the tax is based on the post-discount price. I don't think you can legally tax on an ammount that isn't paid. The tax has to be based on the actual paid amount. At least in the US, I think thats the case.

Thanks!