Newbie Question--Want to Stream MP3s on Web Site with "jukebox-style" control on the site

RangerRik1

Hi All,

I'm new to streaming so please forgive me if this question is elemental but I'm having a hard time reading through all the documentation/websites...

I have a client who is running an IIS6 web server on Win2003. He has one site which he would like to stream audio from. It is a charity web site (for sick children, like the "Make-a-Wish Foundation"). No big media demands for this web site... He just wants some background music...

He setup a nice little flash player on his site's home page called the "premiumbeat" player. And he set up a large (100+ songs) play list...

IT WORKS.

However, the site is fairly busy (10-25 users at a time) and we are concerned about bandwidth bogging. We only have a 1Mbps connection. It is my understanding the current web server http transfer between the player and server is a bandwidth hog as the player begins to download a long list of mp3 files... and that, conversely, a streaming server will only serve what the user(s) need as they need it. Am I thinking right?

My general question is: Is broadwave a good choice for this purpose? Will broadwave work with our existing premiumbeat player?

If not--any suggestions? (other servers/players)? As the site is small (and for charity) we are looking to accomplish this as inexpensively as possible.

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

--Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

At a guess, it will replace the existing player, you will need a link on the website that points to the Broadwave stream within your local network (perhaps on the web server itself).

You're right in saying that it will only serve up the audio as the users need it. The only concern re bandwidth is that each additional user will require additional bandwidth from your website. But if there are only a few users, it's not worth setting up something like shoutcast where you only have one stream from your server to the shoutcast server.