Duration 0:00

Ma22girls

I received a few files from a court reporter that needed to be typed. Several of the files would not play. It stated the duration was 0:00. I thought it was the file, so she tried to send it to me again. I keep getting the same error message. The files seem to look the exact same even under properties as files she sent me and worked. She sent the same file to another typist and he was able to open the audio in AudioScribe and it worked just fine, but not in Express Scribe. The court reporter even sent me the files via snail mail on CD and they still do not work, but the files work just fine on her end??? I have no idea what is wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tammy

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem. The file is good and will play in another player but shows as 0:00 duration in Scribe and will not load. This happened out of the blue. I'm in desperate need to a solution to this problem. I've tried everything I can think of. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm using v4.10. I've tried the newest release and several others without any success. I have XP.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having the same problem. The file is good and will play in another player but shows as 0:00 duration in Scribe and will not load. This happened out of the blue. I'm in desperate need to a solution to this problem. I've tried everything I can think of. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm using v4.10. I've tried the newest release and several others without any success. I have XP.

We are having the same issue as well. Using SpeechExec on the Judge's machine, files go into a share on a file server and then the his sec. is mapped to the same location. The playback is fine from him machine, but cannot be played from his sec. because the durations are coming up as 0:00 seconds. Need an answer and soon plz.

We are having the same issue as well. Using SpeechExec on the Judge's machine, files go into a share on a file server and then the his sec. is mapped to the same location. The playback is fine from him machine, but cannot be played from his sec. because the durations are coming up as 0:00 seconds. Need an answer and soon plz.

I'm not exactly sure what I specifically did to resolve this issue. I tried everything. What I can tell you is that I ran all the Windows updates and did an upgrade on Windows Media Player. My thinking behind the player was that some of the files in system32 were missing and hoped it would replace those by upgrading it. I wish I could tell you if that is what fixed it or not, but I am unable to know for sure. If you find an answer please post it here just in case I need it in the future! Good luck!

we are storing the files in the .dss format...so I doubt any codecs for WMP would work. I tried saving them as .wav and the same thing happened. I havent done any windows updates except critical and security, since this is our WSUS policy. This is strange....

• 2 weeks later...
Figured it out! Make sure the dictaphone is set to record in SP instead of LP...working now

Hi there

can you tell me how you did this?

I have 4 dictations that have been recorded in LP mode and they wont play in Express Scribe.

Can you tell me how you got yours to play!!

I have bought the software for Switch Sound File Converter but this is not helping!!!!!

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED as these letters need to be typed fast :o for the Doctors!!

Cheers

I just downloaded the Express Scribe today and have filed that work fine in other players but show 00:00 in duration and won't download anything into Express - I know they work fine in other players. The :58 Welcome that comes in the Express Scribe works fine. Did you figure out anything? I have downloaded files into Power Player and they work fine - when I download them into Express Scribe they come up 00:00 duration! and nothing!

thanks

I just downloaded the Express Scribe today and have filed that work fine in other players but show 00:00 in duration and won't download anything into Express - I know they work fine in other players. The :58 Welcome that comes in the Express Scribe works fine. Did you figure out anything? I have downloaded files into Power Player and they work fine - when I download them into Express Scribe they come up 00:00 duration! and nothing!

thanks

No I was unable to transcribe these so advised the Health Dept who inturn told the Doctor off and he has to re do them in SP mode....long and painful exercise.

What is Power Play? Do you have a link I could follow?

Cheers

No I was unable to transcribe these so advised the Health Dept who inturn told the Doctor off and he has to re do them in SP mode....long and painful exercise.

What is Power Play? Do you have a link I could follow?

Cheers

The Power Player is a software that is not free - I purchased it from Executive Communication Systems in CA and they are wonderful with their support. www.tvps.com

I still can't get the .DSS files to download in the Express Scribe. They are answering my emails but I don't understand why they have the 00:00 duration. Good luck.

Thank the Lord! I thought I was going crazy trying to get my files to load and then they just showed zero on the display in Express Scribe and were instantly deleted. I mean, obviously I want to know how to fix the problem, but such a relief to know it's a comon problem and not me being an idiot. I was up half the night trying to work out how to solve the problem .... C'MON EXPRESS SCRIBE PEOPLE, FIX YOUR SOFTWARE! :angry:

Guest N.C.H a.n
Thank the Lord! I thought I was going crazy trying to get my files to load and then they just showed zero on the display in Express Scribe and were instantly deleted. I mean, obviously I want to know how to fix the problem, but such a relief to know it's a comon problem and not me being an idiot. I was up half the night trying to work out how to solve the problem .... C'MON EXPRESS SCRIBE PEOPLE, FIX YOUR SOFTWARE! :angry:

Hi,

DSS is a proprietary format, not an open standard, and unfortunately some of the newer recorders don't implement DSS in a way that is compatible with our software. The only work-around that we can suggest is to make sure that the person sending you the files is using SP mode on the recorder.

If the recorder supports other open formats (like mp3) it is always better to use them.

If your program crashes when you attempt to load or convert a dss file it is possible that the file is corrupt. Ask the user to redock and resend the file to you.

If you get a strange endless repeating of the file, or a truncation, and you first installed prior to 6 January 2005, please install the more recent dss32.exe from www.nch.com.au/components <http://www.nch.com.au/components/index.html>.

• 1 month later...

N.C.H a.n - I don't accept this explanation that a recorder is not using a compatible dss file format. We are using DialDictate to record files and can reproduce this issue where on one computer it shows a duration of 0 but any other system with Express Scribe the file loads just fine. As previously mentioned, the Welcome file plays fine.

This system worked well until we wiped and reinstalled Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (direct disk from the OEM mfg).

We can reproduce with multiple different files.

So far we have only tried reinstallation of Scribe version 4.37. I am in the process of updating the system with Windows Media Player 11 as a previous response mentioned it miraculously fixed the issue. After that I will try the dss32 install and report back what I find.

I completed the Windows Media install and the dss32 install. I'm still having the issue. I went ahead and copied a couple of files from the problem machine to another to verify that the files aren't corrupted during transfer to it and they loaded just fine on another machine.

I noticed that the load process on the problem machine doesn't appear to do any processing (like indexing, or determining length of the file). Don't know if that helps NCH support.

Has anyone else out there come up with a fix for this? I'll search the forum some more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only having this problem since upgrading to version 4.37. With my old version I never had a problem loading/playing .wav files. The audio plays just fine in For the Record software, but I'd rather use ES.

The options aren't the same in choosing which file types to play, so this problem has me confused.

*MY SOLUTION*

If you have System log errors 32 and/or 59 generated by SideBySide you may find this fix helpful.

Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (note that specifically, the 2008 redist did not solve my issue)

Download at microsoft.com

THANK YOU! This solved things for me. I had two computers set up, both with the same version of Express Scribe, yet the same set of files had 0:00 duration on one and complete files on the other. I was starting to get quite frustrated! Many thanks for your post!!

*MY SOLUTION*

If you have System log errors 32 and/or 59 generated by SideBySide you may find this fix helpful.

Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (note that specifically, the 2008 redist did not solve my issue)

Download at microsoft.com

rwitt, If I could reach through my computer to give you a big ole smacker I would!!! Your suggestion worked better than any of the others on here. I have downloaded Express Scribe from 3.1 up to the most recent and none of them worked, all with that 0:00 duration. I used your suggestion after all other supplemental installs did not work. I wish I had noticed yours first. It would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You rock the casbah! -Lisa

BTW, I registered just so that I could thank you. ;)