What am I doing wrong

IAN SMITH

I have just gone to this forum with a question. On the way to starting this thread, I noticed my name displayed on several other threads, to an extent that I almost find embarassing. The advice I gave was based upon quite a few years using Video Editors of one kind or another. I have an all-time favourite, but hey, this is a 'NCH'-sponsored web-site and it will remain a matter between myself and the software distributor, which has chosen to pull the plug on support, just when I require a renewal of my activation-number following a computer-crash, and my need to install much of my software to hard-drives other than the default 'C:\', so it won't happen again in the future. So, an investment of NZ$400 or thereabouts disappears down-the-gurgler. 'Life's a bitch', as they say.

Yes, I've given 'VideoPad' a test-drive or two. Many of its features I like, since it is not weighed down with useless dead-wood' in the way of effects, transitions etc. In short, a quite professional-looking package seemingly designed with the semi-pro in mind, rather than those 'consumers' who only want to dazzle the rest of humanity with their superficial (eg shop-bought), brilliance.

Which, must make the next question seem odd: How are clips added to the timeline in such a way as to 'render' the right-way around, because, my first-only trial production ran backwards, last shot first? Now, I have no problem whatever with loading clips and assembling them into a coherent sequence, only that, after rendering, it runs backwards. (The trimmed individual clips run correctly in themselves, it's just that the order of sequence is wrong, with the left-most clip being the most recent one added, when in most editors, the sequence is presented the the opposite way around). I was working on a ten-minute module to slot into a much larger documentary project (68 DVD's of avi footage shot to-date). Now, I could always assemble the stuff elsewhere and place the 'render' on the 'VideoPad' timeline in preparation for the sound editing, but that sort-of defeats the purpose of using 'VideoPad' in the first-place.

Is someone please able to point out where I have gone wrong; as it's not nice feeling like the world's biggest idiot.

Ian Smith

Dunedin, N.Z.

• 2 years later...

Hi

Check the "Options" tab on the tool bar. Now click the "Other" tab.

Look at the second option on the list."Add new clip to the following position." Normally this is set as "Ask me".

If you add your clips automatially by selecting batches from the media list and this option is set to "Beginning of the timeline" then the selected clips will be added to the sequence in the reverse order. Your video will, in effect play backwards. You need to add your clips to the "End of the timeline".

Nat