Express Scribe under Ubuntu 8.10 - playback/hotkey issues

jeg0522

Hello! I just yesterday installed Express Scribe under Ubuntu 8.10 (Linux install, not via wine). I'm having trouble with hotkeys so far.

In other transcription programs, I currently use:

\ for Skip back X seconds

Ctrl+\ for Pause/play

I tried to set up \ for "Back 5s", but during playback it actually steps forward approximately 20 seconds anytime I use that hotkey. So I switched it to F12. Same result. Other hotkeys behave erratically as well.

I also didn't notice a pause/play hotkey, only separate hotkeys for stop and play. Any ideas?

Ultimately I plan to get a foot pedal, but until I get some paid gigs behind me, I'm stuck using keyboard hotkeys.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

J.

• 1 month later...
Anyone else having this issue?

I'll test this on another Ubuntu 8.10 machine tonight to see if it's an issue specific to my Acer Aspire One.

Which version of Express Scribe are you using in Ubuntu 8.10. We're using Version 4.11 which has worked flawlessly for years on Edgy, Feisty, Hardy, Gutsy and now Intrepid with no issues. I cannot reproduce the issue you're describing. Perhaps you should downgrade to ES 4.11. It's rock-solid stable IMO.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone else having this issue?

I'll test this on another Ubuntu 8.10 machine tonight to see if it's an issue specific to my Acer Aspire One.

I have tested Express Scribe 4.31 using 2 different computers with Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 - both workstations exhibited the same problem - after stopping when you press play time slider jumps ahead up to 90 seconds (pedal, F4 keys and mouse -all the same).

The issue was NOT observed with Debian Lenny 5.0 from stable repository.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same issue on the new Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04). Has nobody any idea to fix this problem? AT Joseph A. Millikan: do you have an idea, where to get an older version of Express Scribe? I googled for it to no purpose.

I would be happy to email it to you if you like. The "issue" you and others are describing is not present in Ver. 4.11. It has been working without issue for over two years. I'm presently using it with Jaunty. No problem. I know it must be frustrating for those experiencing the issue you describe. You may email me at jamillikan@aol.com with your request, and I'll be happy to send you (or anyone else with the above-mentioned issue) the file. It is easily installed via wine with the command:

wine essetup

Disregard the screen messages that scroll by and you're in business.

I hope this helps those experiencing problems with their Express Scribe. It's really a great product, at least that's been my experience with 4.11.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with version 4.31 native Linux / GTK of Express Scribe under Ubuntu. I tested it on an old installation of Ubuntu (I think it was 7.10) and was very impressed with the software. Got it working with VEC Infinity pedals (USB) and Spectra headsets. Ordered quite a few more pedals and headsets knowing all worked. But in the meantime I had to upgrade Ubuntu and guess what. When I got the hardware I needed to go live throughout my little organisation Express Scribe did it's jump ahead trick (described in posts above) regardless of whether I used the pedals, the mouse or the hot keys. So I tried version 4.31 Windows under Wine (having first installed Wine). The software loaded and ran and didn't jump ahead BUT I couldn't get it to recognise the presence of the VEC Infinity USB pedals (which are working as evidenced by them functioning under the native Linux version although the end result is wrong, that's not a problem to do with the pedals). I am hoping to get a copy of version 4.11 to try that out. I would love to hear from any Ubuntu users of Express Scribe who have it working correctly with pedals. Please, what version(s) of Ubuntu, of Express Scribe (version number and Windows version under Wine or native Linux / GTK ) what pedals are you using and any setup required in Wine or in Express Scribe or any drivers required for the pedals. It's frustrating being so close to a great solution to a business need.

Thanks for any help on this.

• 1 month later...
I have tested Express Scribe 4.31 using 2 different computers with Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 - both workstations exhibited the same problem - after stopping when you press play time slider jumps ahead up to 90 seconds (pedal, F4 keys and mouse -all the same).

I'm seeing the same problem with 9.04. And running under WINE keeps the foot pedal from functioning. Is there ANY source for an older version of the native Linux Express Scribe? Is this something that NCH is interested in fixing? Express Scribe is a great program under Windows; I think it could be just as great under Linux.

I'm seeing the same problem with 9.04. And running under WINE keeps the foot pedal from functioning. Is there ANY source for an older version of the native Linux Express Scribe? Is this something that NCH is interested in fixing? Express Scribe is a great program under Windows; I think it could be just as great under Linux.

Wow, this thread took off. I've not yet tested it under 9.04 (I gave up and just decided to just use inqScribe under my much less convenient Windows PC), but it looks like I'll likely run into the same problem.

So if I'm reading correctly, sounds like I should be looking for the wine installation of an older version in order to get it to work correctly? I'm hesitant to go with the wine installation if it disables foot pedal use, but I haven't purchased a foot pedal yet so it might work for me anyways.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, this thread took off. I've not yet tested it under 9.04 (I gave up and just decided to just use inqScribe under my much less convenient Windows PC), but it looks like I'll likely run into the same problem.

So if I'm reading correctly, sounds like I should be looking for the wine installation of an older version in order to get it to work correctly? I'm hesitant to go with the wine installation if it disables foot pedal use, but I haven't purchased a foot pedal yet so it might work for me anyways.

Wine will not disable your serial foot pedal. It will work just fine with Express Scribe 4.11. I've been using it for years with no issue whatsoever. I'm currently on Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 with kernel 2.6.27-11 and haven't experienced the issue you described. For what it's worth, I'm staying with Express Scribe 4.11 because I can think of no well-founded reason to upgrade something that is working flawlessly for us.

For others who may be reading this, if you have no serial port, fear not. The Sewell Direct USB to serial adapter works perfectly with a VEC serial pedal when used with wine on Ubuntu Jaunty. (Other varieties of USB to serial do not work properly for whatever reason.) I have documented instructions for enabling the USB to serial adapter using wine for those who need it. Just drop me an email: jamillikan@aol.com

Hope this information benefits you.

• 2 weeks later...
Wine will not disable your serial foot pedal. It will work just fine with Express Scribe 4.11. I've been using it for years with no issue whatsoever. I'm currently on Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 with kernel 2.6.27-11 and haven't experienced the issue you described. For what it's worth, I'm staying with Express Scribe 4.11 because I can think of no well-founded reason to upgrade something that is working flawlessly for us.

For others who may be reading this, if you have no serial port, fear not. The Sewell Direct USB to serial adapter works perfectly with a VEC serial pedal when used with wine on Ubuntu Jaunty. (Other varieties of USB to serial do not work properly for whatever reason.) I have documented instructions for enabling the USB to serial adapter using wine for those who need it. Just drop me an email: jamillikan@aol.com

Hope this information benefits you.

Thanks! I tried the e-mail above to contact you regarding ES 4.11. Is there any other way you know of to obtain version 4.11?

Also, are you using Wine + ES 4.11 or ES 4.11 native?

• 4 months later...

I was having the same problem after upgrading Ubuntu from 8.10 to 9.04, and again from 9.04 to 9.10.

I think it's a PulseAudio error, not Express Scribe. First time round a reinstallation of the software fixed it, second time round going to Options>Playback and changing the Sound Device from Default to the specific hardware channel you want to use sorted it out.

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

Thanks! I tried the e-mail above to contact you regarding ES 4.11. Is there any other way you know of to obtain version 4.11?

Also, are you using Wine + ES 4.11 or ES 4.11 native?

I'm using Wine and ES 4.11. Additionally, I'm using a serial pedal with a USB to serial adapter. I've discovered an "issue" with the USB to serial adapter with some computers running Ubuntu that I'd like to share. I ran into this "issue" on an HP Thinline Tricore AMD-based computer. If your USB to serial adapter with your foot pedal suddenly loses its mind and ceases to work during a playback, the following resolved that issue:

Edit grub and add the following to the end of your boot line: noapic irqpoll pci=routeirq

Save your changes and reboot. That resolved the "issue" with the USB to serial adapter suddenly ceasing to work. Express Scribe performs as designed thereafter with no issue. I was forced to figure that out because the computer had no available PCI ports for a half-height serial card. Hope this information helps others. If you're unfamiliar with how to edit your grub, here's how:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst [Enter]

(you will have to enter your password)

add "noapic irqpoll pci=routeirq" (without the quotes) to the end of the line with the word "quiet splash" on it. Save your change. Restart your computer. The former anomaly should no longer present itself.

• 3 months later...

Still got the same problem using Ubuntu 9.04 and the latest ES Version. Any good solutions?

• 3 years later...

Hello to all,

I have just installed Express Scribe on Ubuntu and I also have the playback issue. Play/pause just skips around 40 seconds of audio.

I have three days to get my transcription job done, so if there's even a work around, it would be great.

For those with the USB pedal issue through WINE, it's normal because WINE doesn't support USB yet.

Sean