Record volume default set too high

drdra

I recently installed express dictate on a 2nd computer; it is the "latest and greatest", i.e. v5.08. A few years ago I installed v4.10 on a different computer, and it still works fine. With the old software, I was able to adjust the record volume decibels down so that the transcriptionist heard a nice pleasant voice instead of a lot of scratch+voice. Once I made that adjustment, it stayed at the new, proper level.

v5.08 doesn't have that option. Instead, the record volume adjustment is through Windows Audio Mixer (or something like that, I'm not at that computer now and don't recall). It looks like a typical windows volume control with little hash marks but no actual numbers. If I start a dictation and then adjust the record volume down, the transcriptionist hears a pleasant voice. Unfortunately, Express Dictate does not remember that change. With every new dictation, the record volume is reset to a very high level which results in poor quality audio files. How can I fix the default record volume to a proper level?