VOIP Settings

mibaruka

In the IVM Manual it states that "lines can be duplicates of the same SIP number (to handle multiple calls on the same number)......SIP lines can have multiple connections at the same times."

Does this mean I can have one SIP number and have simultaneous callers all hearing seperate IVM messages? In other words, using VOIP, how do I prevent callers from getting a busy signal? Do I utilize one SIP number (if so, how many simultaneous calls can it handle, i.e. vonage) or do I get several SIP numbers and run them through IVM? I just want to make sure we can handle potential call volume.

(I want to sell a retail product so I'm mostly concerned about automated order entry, order status and credit card authorizations.)

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

In the IVM Manual it states that "lines can be duplicates of the same SIP number (to handle multiple calls on the same number)......SIP lines can have multiple connections at the same times."

Does this mean I can have one SIP number and have simultaneous callers all hearing seperate IVM messages?  In other words, using VOIP, how do I prevent callers from getting a busy signal?  Do I utilize one SIP number (if so, how many simultaneous calls can it handle, i.e. vonage) or do I get several SIP numbers and run them through IVM?  I just want to make sure we can handle potential call volume.

(I want to sell a retail product so I'm mostly concerned about automated order entry, order status and credit card authorizations.)

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm bumping this message so I can hopefully get someone's feedback. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

The number of communication channels is entirely dependent on the VoIP service you are using. Some services like Callcentric offer additional communication channels (simply meaning there can be multiple incoming calls on the same line at the same time) at a low monthly cost. Some VoIP providers offer multiple channels free of charge, some even offer it without saying so.

IVMs settings are somewhat different. Like how VoIP services can control/restrict how many "channels" are open to accept incoming calls at the same time for each user, you can do the same with IVM. So IVM can be set to only allow two simultaneous calls on the same VoIP line for example (this is independent to the number of channels your VoIP service is capable of handling). As far as I know Vonage (soft phone line) only accepts one incoming phone call at any given time, correct me if I'm wrong though. The obvious way to check is, setup IVM to allow say 5 incoming calls on the Vonage line at a given time. Then just call in on the line from two different phones, and if they both answer without a busy signal then it is obvious the line supports multiple simultaneous calls.

• 5 months later...