Welcome File Repeating

LGVonhof

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Try hitting the 'delete' key, not the 'done' key...

I have the same issue - doesn't matter how many times I hit 'delete' - the welcome message is back every time I open the program. I've even tried going into the folder and actually physically deleting the audio file - it STILL comes back. It must have a hidden copy somewhere that reloads from the registry, but I haven't found it yet.

Anyone else had any luck with this?

I have the same issue - doesn't matter how many times I hit 'delete' - the welcome message is back every time I open the program. I've even tried going into the folder and actually physically deleting the audio file - it STILL comes back.

What operating system are you using?

Does your OS user account have admin privileges?

What version of Express Scribe are you running?

Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Scribe?

What operating system are you using?

Does your OS user account have admin privileges?

What version of Express Scribe are you running?

Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Scribe?

Windows XP Home SP3

Yes

v4.31

Yes

:-)

I have the same issue - doesn't matter how many times I hit 'delete' - the welcome message is back every time I open the program.

I can reproduce this problem by denying myself write access to the Express Scribe registry key hierarchy.

Are you using a company PC? Even though you're using an admin account, the hardware people may have restricted your access to the registry.

You can test if you have write access to Scribe's registry keys by resizing the Scribe main window (not Scribe Mini), quitting the application, and relaunching it. The main window should restore to the same size as when you quit. If the size is reset to the default then you don't have write permission.

I found the problem.

Apparently at some point there has been a duplicate installation of ExpressScribe rather than an overwrite - or at least there are the remnants of one. I found a second set of system folders containing a duplicate Welcome. Deleted the duplicate folders, the problem was eliminated.

Thanks for the input!

Apparently at some point there has been a duplicate installation of ExpressScribe rather than an overwrite - or at least there are the remnants of one. I found a second set of system folders containing a duplicate Welcome. Deleted the duplicate folders, the problem was eliminated.

I think you've treated one of the symptoms of the problem, rather than the problem itself. It's normal for Scribe to create multiple directories. eg. (on Windows XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe

C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe

Please don't manually delete any of these directories.

If the original problem was with registry permissions then you'll have many other problems besides the zombie welcome message. (eg. Not being able to save file association changes, or incoming source property changes, etc.) Did you try the window size test in my post above?

I think you've treated one of the symptoms of the problem, rather than the problem itself. It's normal for Scribe to create multiple directories. eg. (on Windows XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe

C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe

Please don't manually delete any of these directories.

If the original problem was with registry permissions then you'll have many other problems besides the zombie welcome message. (eg. Not being able to save file association changes, or incoming source property changes, etc.) Did you try the window size test in my post above?

Don't need to, this is a stand-alone PC and I am the sole administrator. However, FYI, yes, I frequently change the window size, placement, etc., and it is always retained after restart. I have not manually deleted any directory whatsoever; just the Welcome audio file. All is well.