File Limit in Switch

Captm19

I just downloaded and paid for the latest version of Switch to convert some of WMA files to MP3.

However I'm finding either a bug or a limitation and want to see if anyone else has this problem before I elevate up to the developers.

When I load the files for conversion, say 23 of them, the program will only convert 17 of them! If I load 20, it only converts 10 and if I load 10 it converts 5 and no more.

The program is running in Vista, my settings are VBR with limits of 128 to 320 and a setting to delete the original file after conversion when placing it back in the original directory.

The files are kept in an external portable drive (320GB)

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I just today downloaded version 1.51 of the free Switch, and had been planning on upgrading to the paid version. BUT I too found that this newer version seems to have a bug of not converting 100% of the queued files for conversion.

If I have 10 files loaded it will convert 1, 3, 5, 7, & 9. Then I have to press convert again and it will pick up 2, 6, & 10 (again skipping the second files (4 & 8). So I press convert for a third time, this time it converts only 1 of the 2 files, and after the 4th time pressing convert for 10 files it has AT LAST converted all 10 files as I requested in the first place.

Can someone please let us know when this bug has been fixed? I love the program, and am sad to hear that this is also in the paid version of Switch. I probably will purchase even with this bug, but would like to hear that a fix is in the works.

My system is running XP, with the music files also in a external drive (Networked 500GB Drive), and deleting the original files after conversion.

UPDATE***If I turn OFF the Delete the original files, it converts every file*** Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Thanks

Jimbo58

Yeah, having the same problem. Major flaw in is what is otherwise a great program.

Thought it might be limitation of the free version but there is no indication of that being the case on the site, and the first post seems to confirm it is a bug even in the full version.

I would buy the full version if it was not for this problem.

Can anyone else confirm the problem or provide a solution. Unchecking delete sourse file is not a great solution, it turns what should be a very simple batch operation into a very manual task.

There appears to be a glitch with the convert and delete function of the program.

If you select a list of files to convert it will convert the first item in the queue, and the load the converted item file to the last position in the queue. It will then delete the converted item and remove from the queue it will then mark the 1st item in the list (which was previously the 2nd item) with the comment Source file deleted, converted file loaded. This results in only 50% of the files being converted.

For example queue of:

track 1.wma

track 2.wma

track 3.m4a

track 4.m4a

track 5.wma

track 6.wma

After conversion to mp3 will show

track2.wma Source file deleted, converted file loaded.

track4.m4a Source file deleted, converted file loaded.

track6.wma Source file deleted, converted file loaded.

track1.mp3

track3.mp3

track5.mp3

One workaround would be to load each item you want to convert into the list 2x and sort by name, this will make each item show up 2x each one right after the other... It will convert the first and skip the second... I've submitted a bug fix, so we'll see how long it takes to hear back... It should be a pretty quick fix, however they may decide it's not high on the priority list, or they may want to fix several things before they release the next update.

• 1 month later...

It seemed to have fixed itself. I've done 100's of conversions now without a glitch. Maybe the developers repaired it discreetly.

Captm19

Is there an update coming soon that sorts out this major glitch for doing batch conversions? .... the whole reason for the purchase was to do 100's of wma to mp3

It seemed to have fixed itself. I've done 100's of conversions now without a glitch. Maybe the developers repaired it discreetly.

Captm19

I was hoping for the magical switch elf to appear overnight & discreetly repair this issue....alas it's still only doing every other file

• 4 weeks later...
I was hoping for the magical switch elf to appear overnight & discreetly repair this issue....alas it's still only doing every other file

I don't like to make posts like these, but with the support "we" have received here I feel that it is justified. They do say that this is a self help forum BUT "Our technical support team will, on a best efforts basis, review posts and answer questions."

I too have numerous sound files (m4a, wma, and others) that I was looking to "SWITCH" over to mp3 format so that I could play them over numerous devices, some of which do not recognize anything but mp3's. (Sorry if I like my "OLD" electronics...) I have found that instead of utilizing "SWITCH" with it's batch file problems, Apple iTunes handles the batch conversion just fine and it free to boot.

Sorry SWITCH team, you lost a sale to this customer... Although I will check back to see if anyone tells me why SWITCH is better??? Any takers?

I don't like to make posts like these, but with the support "we" have received here I feel that it is justified. They do say that this is a self help forum BUT "Our technical support team will, on a best efforts basis, review posts and answer questions."

I too have numerous sound files (m4a, wma, and others) that I was looking to "SWITCH" over to mp3 format so that I could play them over numerous devices, some of which do not recognize anything but mp3's. (Sorry if I like my "OLD" electronics...) I have found that instead of utilizing "SWITCH" with it's batch file problems, Apple iTunes handles the batch conversion just fine and it free to boot.

Sorry SWITCH team, you lost a sale to this customer... Although I will check back to see if anyone tells me why SWITCH is better??? Any takers?

....yeah iTunes on pc will do it but not on the mac..... how this batch error got through control, is it rocket salad? you pays your money & it don't do what it says on the tin...... bit bad ass to then say no refund, that sucks

• 2 weeks later...
I just downloaded and paid for the latest version of Switch to convert some of WMA files to MP3.

However I'm finding either a bug or a limitation and want to see if anyone else has this problem before I elevate up to the developers.

When I load the files for conversion, say 23 of them, the program will only convert 17 of them! If I load 20, it only converts 10 and if I load 10 it converts 5 and no more.

The program is running in Vista, my settings are VBR with limits of 128 to 320 and a setting to delete the original file after conversion when placing it back in the original directory.

The files are kept in an external portable drive (320GB)

Any ideas?

The way I do it is to combine Switch with Windows Explorer and it works great for me, and it's not any amount of extra effort to do it. First, I right click on the folder that I want to convert from and open a "search" window. I search for what I want to convert (i.e. *.wav). Then simply select all files; right click; and select "Convert with Switch Sound File Converter". That will open Switch and call up all those files. It's very important to leave the "search" window open at this time. Then go to the Switch window. Do NOT set it to delete the originals. Set all of the other options as you wish, such as "copy folder structure" of "Output to same folder as source files", and hit convert. After the conversion is finished, go back to the original "search" window. Make sure all the same files are still selected and simply hit "delete".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issues. I'm using the paid/registered PLUS version of switch on the latest version of mac os x. Switch does not convert all the files in the queue. any mac workaround for this issue?

thanks, ~Eric