Ordering foot pedal

johmac

Hi, I'm new here and am thinking about ordering a foot pedal for Express Scribe to do work with a transcription company. What would be the best pedal to order if I wanted to pursue work with several different transcription companies - is there a generic model that's compatible to everyone. I'd rather pay full price for a good one than pay for 2 or 3 pedals. I know nothing about foot pedals since I've been using hot keys. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you :)

Hi,

I'm currently using DB9 serial port pedals. I don't know if this applies to your situation but I don't think these would be suitable for you: I run Windows XP and I have foot pedals that plug into the DB9 serial port. Here is what I go through after having shut down my computer: On startup, I open express scribe and click settings and then controls. I activate the foot pedal setup wizard. I have settled on the COM1 Port as my choice but you should try all of the COM ports. What happens is I get a message saying that COM1 is being used. So what I finally figured out after about a week of discussion with a kind person at the TECH GUY forum, is that after trying the foot pedal setup wizard, I have to uninstall COM1, and restart the computer. Then I open express scribe again and try the setup wizard again. This usually works. I'm only telling you this so you have an idea of what might be in store if you buy these kinds of pedals.

USB pedals might be the way to go but I do not have any experience with these. But if you have a cd that comes with your pedals, install the driver first and then install your pedals as I understand that's how XP best works.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_David_*

Johmac, we ordered pedal sets from NCH several years ago. They have held up very well. The only problem is that many computers no longer have the old joystick / serial port connections. We had to buy sound cards to fix the problem. So the moral of this is get the USB version, I think they are here to stay.