Audio Normalization

Bob Henrick

I have music files on my computer and some seem to have a lower or higher volume than others. I also have a registered copy of Switch Plus converter software version 1.31. As the version will tell you, I have had this for probably a year or more, and would like to reconvert all the music in my directory, if in fact Switch Plus will do as it says on the web page under Other features number one is: "Automatically normalise audio while converting."

In order that I might understand correctly just what that means I am assuming that this "normalising" will adjust volume either up or down as needed while the software is converting. If I am incorrect in my thinking of just what normalising is, then I will need to buy a different software, and need to know what software. Also, if I am correct how do I tell the program what I am wanting it to do for me? Thanks in advance.

I have music files on my computer and some seem to have a lower or higher volume than others. I also have a registered copy of Switch Plus converter software version 1.31. As the version will tell you, I have had this for probably a year or more, and would like to reconvert all the music in my directory, if in fact Switch Plus will do as it says on the web page under Other features number one is: "Automatically normalise audio while converting."

In order that I might understand correctly just what that means I am assuming that this "normalising" will adjust volume either up or down as needed while the software is converting. If I am incorrect in my thinking of just what normalising is, then I will need to buy a different software, and need to know what software. Also, if I am correct how do I tell the program what I am wanting it to do for me? Thanks in advance.

OK, with no reply in about a day, I went ahead and applied normalization to a few songs, and that is for sure not what I thought normalization was. It completely deleted the audio in the files. they went from about 900kb to zero in file size.

Is there no one on the forum that knows if I can do what I want? I am pretty happy converting formats with this software, but it sure seems as if it should do a lot of other things. See Other Features here: http://www.nch.com.au/switch/plus.html#101

Guest MichaelJee

Hello Bob,

Normalizing occurs within that instance of the sound file. It doesn't compare min / max volumes to your OTHER tracks and make them all the same loudness.

The WWW is a huge resource of information, especially with things like audio / visual.

I cannot replicate / have never heard of the issue you are experianceing. Can you please detail exactly what actions you taking, in which Switch...

It completely deleted the audio in the files. they went from about 900kb to zero in file size

Hello Bob,

Normalizing occurs within that instance of the sound file. It doesn't compare min / max volumes to your OTHER tracks and make them all the same loudness.

The WWW is a huge resource of information, especially with things like audio / visual.

I cannot replicate / have never heard of the issue you are experianceing. Can you please detail exactly what actions you taking, in which Switch...

Thank you Michael for trying to assist. I am running Switch version 1.31 which I purchased several months, (but less than 1 year) ago. I have noticed that some music files on my computer play at a reduced volume, and I further understand the why of that. I am trying to normalize the sound volume between files all to a common volume. I thought the name for this was normalizing, but I may be off base there. In attempting that, I opened Switch, went into options, and then into conversions. From there I checked the box in auto processing normalize files while converting. I then set about converting a folder of MP3 files, but fortunately I checked the folder very soon to see what was happening, and several files had converted, but the file size was 0.0 where before the file size varied, but were mostly from 700 to 900 kb in size. I tried to play one of these 0.0 files and there was zero audio in the file. The audio had been completely stripped from the file.

Guest MichaelJee

Bob,

Thanks for trying to describe to me your issue, though you have left out much information.

1 – What OS are you using?

2 – Assuming you have read my link above, you understand what normalizing is and isn’t. Please look at the language you are using.

The audio had been completely stripped from the file

Audio / visual compression and conversions create a new file, they aren't (shouldn't be) stripping anything from the original.

4 – Does turning the normalizing off let Switch work normally?

5 – What file type are the source files? Are you able to send it in for testing?

Thanks

M