FastFox capitalization

med1typer

Love using FastFox so far. Very easy to use and reliably and consistently expands in Precision Scribe, which I have not found for a short cut program yet.

However, I have some phrases I would like to capitalize some times and other times not capitalize. For instance, "follow up". Sometimes I want "Follow up" and sometimes I want "follow up". Anybody got any suggestions on an easy way to enter these in FastFox so I don't have to make separate shortcut keys for the same phrase? Such as, is there a character key you can put in front of the same short cut just to make one capital and one not, i.e., "follow up" short cut would be fu and "Follow up" short cut would be -fu?? Just wondering if there is an easier character or some easier way.

Also, how about backspace? I want "-year-old" to expand but have to backspace out the space before that to make it go with the age. Is there a character or action I need to enter for it to back space automatically?

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

I wish it could use - or . like Robotype from PCMag does. Robotype does not work on VISTA or Macs, but works well with XP. It does not do back space but does do pompts.

%PROMPT:Birthdate% Will open a pop up box in your text area of your expansion. also things like %longdate% puts in time date stamps.

I use Robotype 3.0 on my XP machines and FastFox on Vista.

Love using FastFox so far. Very easy to use and reliably and consistently expands in Precision Scribe, which I have not found for a short cut program yet.

However, I have some phrases I would like to capitalize some times and other times not capitalize. For instance, "follow up". Sometimes I want "Follow up" and sometimes I want "follow up". Anybody got any suggestions on an easy way to enter these in FastFox so I don't have to make separate shortcut keys for the same phrase? Such as, is there a character key you can put in front of the same short cut just to make one capital and one not, i.e., "follow up" short cut would be fu and "Follow up" short cut would be -fu?? Just wondering if there is an easier character or some easier way.

Also, how about backspace? I want "-year-old" to expand but have to backspace out the space before that to make it go with the age. Is there a character or action I need to enter for it to back space automatically?

Thanks.

I'm replying to your discussion because you obviously know how to make the shorthand program work. I can't answer your questions at this time, but I have one of my own. I have added some shorthand words to FastFox, but nothing in expands, not even when I tried the QBF. I can't find in the manual how to do this. This must be a brand-new program, I figure. Can you help me? Thanks for any help you can give me. By the way, I have only installed the free trial, in case that makes a difference.

Punkin

Both FastFox and Robotype use copy what you type from keyboard to clipboard. The program looks at the [Enter] KEY OR [spacebar] KEY hits and compares with database of your shortcut and swaps out the expantion if they match.

Well Keylogger programs do the same thing but email what you type to the dark side.

Are you using Norton Anti-virus and/ or firewall? :angry: Or Zone alarm? :mellow:

You may have to go to program setting and tell them they are to trusted. AKA your hacking your self. :rolleyes:

You may have to reload FastFox It may have taken out the "Keyloggerish" files in error.

PS Norton Sucks :P Only the server version is any good.

I'm replying to your discussion because you obviously know how to make the shorthand program work. I can't answer your questions at this time, but I have one of my own. I have added some shorthand words to FastFox, but nothing in expands, not even when I tried the QBF. I can't find in the manual how to do this. This must be a brand-new program, I figure. Can you help me? Thanks for any help you can give me. By the way, I have only installed the free trial, in case that makes a difference.

Punkin

Both FastFox and Robotype use copy what you type from keyboard to clipboard. The program looks at the [Enter] KEY OR [spacebar] KEY hits and compares with database of your shortcut and swaps out the expantion if they match.

Well Keylogger programs do the same thing but email what you type to the dark side.

Are you using Norton Anti-virus and/ or firewall? :angry: Or Zone alarm? :mellow:

You may have to go to program setting and tell them they are to trusted. AKA your hacking your self. :rolleyes:

You may have to reload FastFox It may have taken out the "Keyloggerish" files in error.

PS Norton Sucks :P Only the server version is any good.

Punkin

I use Windows Vista, and I have McAfee Security on my computer. I reinstalled the program, and it still doesn't work. How do you put shortcuts into the program? Maybe I'm not doing it right. So far this sucks. I need a shorthand program on my computer, but it doesn't look like FastFox will work. Bummers. Maybe it's the way I start the program. I clicked on the icon, it brings up the shortcuts I have, I minimize it down to the tray, and try typing. Is that the way I am to do it? I'm about ready to give up on this program. Help!

Punkin

• 2 months later...

So is there an answer to this question yet? I used to use Flashforward and then Speedtype. I like FastFox but then I type the shortcut crt for the word Court, sometimes I need it to be "court" and sometimes I need it to be "Court" In the other programs I have used this was accomplished by typing lower case crt for court and typing capital C lower case rt for Court. This doesn't work in Fastfox.

I have Fastfox running and it's not working as I'm typing this - ??

Isn't there a way to capitalize a word without a new shortcut?????

• 6 months later...
Guest n_c_h_df

There is a new version of FastFox now available. One of the new features in this release is exactly the feature in discussion here. FastFox now supports dynamic capitalization. If the first letter of the keyword is capitalized, the first letter of the expansion will be capitalized. If all the letters of the keyword are capitalized, the entire expansion will be capitalized. For example, using the default expansion:

qbf = the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

typing

Qbf = The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

and

QBF = THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG.

If you have capitalization in your expansion, FastFox will not change any letters to lower-case.

This feature only works for simple text shortcuts. For Rich text and keystroke shortcuts, you will have to provide your own capitalization.