ATRAC driver tragedy

Gobyalu

I don't know if I'm being thick or not, or what...

I downloaded switch so I could switch ATRAC3 files from my minidisk to CDAs for burning to CD. I downloaded the ATRAC3 driver from your site, but I'm not sure how to install the driver. I've unzipped the folder, and I've clicked on the ACM file marked 'atrac3.acm' but my pc just says it doesn't know what program created it, and doesn't allow me to do anything with it.

I'm probably missing something simple and crucial, seeing as I'm not too pc literate.... Any ideas?

Gracias amigo.

Goby Alu.

allrighty, I've overcome that particular problem, but I've got another. When installing the driver (which I was doing wrong before), Windows sends up an alert saying that the software has not passed a 'windows logo test'. I clicked on the 'continue install' button, and it appeared to finish the install.......but in about 3 seconds... Is that right? I checked my computer for it's list of audio drivers, and no ATRAC3 driver seems to be listed there.

I've tried using switch and seeing if it recognises ATRAC3 files as audio files, but it's a no go.

Somebody pleeeeeease help! I need this track put to CD (NOT an atrac3 cd)as fast as I can....

Right.

Anyone with the same problem as me should just register their minidisk player on the sony site, then download:

Sonicstage 2.1 then,

WAV conversion tool.

I think if anyone wants to change an ATRAC3 file without owning a minidisk player or other ATRAC3 (oma. omg. atp. etc etc - 'Open MG' files) player, they're gonna have problems cos sony only want people who own the hardware to be able to work with the software.....

goby

• 3 weeks later...

Very true, and thanks for that.

FYI: we believe the ATRAC plugin we refer to on our site can only handle old-style atrac wav files - I think the atrac format was changed after the release of the plugin, which would account for why it doesn't work in many cases.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jace

I have downloaded Switch and it converted the Atrac3 files to MP3 fine, except it only did the first 1.01m of each song. Being slow I only noticed this after converting about three albumns. Is this because I downloaded the free version of Switch? Is this only a demo of it's capabilities? My Sony player is only 6 months old and the files are .oma.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest open source rules

:angry: This is the download page for the new v3.1 of SonicStage. Read the the Red print.

SonicStage® v3.1 Application Upgrade Installer

Please read all information thoroughly before downloading and installing any files.

Download Information

Filename Version Size Last Modified

SonicStageInstaller.exe 3.1 690 KB 04/29/2005

What does this do?

The SonicStage® v3.1 application is a music management system in which you can record your CDs, obtain music from the Connect™ music store, manage your digital music collection, burn CD-R/RWs, and transfer music to your Sony® portable player.

IMPORTANT: This utility is only for product purchased and used in the United States. It may not function properly with product purchased from or used in other countries.

NOTE: This SonicStage Version 3.1 upgrade is the same application that is distributed from Sony's Connect music store at http://musicstore.connect.com.

What products and operating systems does this apply to?

Model: D-NF610

Operating System(s): Microsoft® Windows® XP, Microsoft® Windows® 98SE, Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Microsoft® Windows® Me

See all applicable models and Operating Systems.

NOTE: This utility is only for use with the products identified above and sold in the United States. Not all models are sold in all countries.

Enhancements Over Previous Versions of the OpenMG™ Jukebox and SonicStage® Software

New SonicStage software Ver 3.1 feature: Ripping in MP3 format:

Format: MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3

Bit Rate: 320kbps/256kbps/224kbps/192kbps/160kbps/128kbps/112kbps/96kbps

Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz

The Connect™ music store window is wider and easier to view.

The "My Library" interface is improved. Additional track information is displayed, including release year and composer. Index columns (e.g. Artist, Genre, Track Length, etc.) can be added, deleted, or re-ordered.

The Album/track editing feature (previously "My Compilation Album") has been renamed "Playlist" and now incorporates drag-and-drop functionality.

Option to specify format and bit rate in one step when transferring track(s) to a portable player.

Tracks recorded from microphone or analog inputs on a Hi-MD Walkman® recorder can be transferred to SonicStage® software and saved in WAV (PCM) format.

SonicStage® software automatically launches when an ATRAC Audio Device (ex: Network Walkman™ player) is connected to the computer via a USB connection.

Includes Audio CD burning ("Create Audio CD"), ATRAC CD burning ("Create ATRAC CD") and MP3 burning ("Create MP3 CD") functionality.

Note: MP3 CDs can only be created from MP3 files.

Notes about the SonicStage® Version 3.1 software

In SonicStage software Version 3.0 or later, tracks stored in My Library are automatically sorted based on artist name and album name registered to each track. If you have been using an earlier version of SonicStage software, the structure of the albums stored in My Library may change when upgrading to SonicStage software Version 3.1. For example, if the album name registered to a track in an earlier version was "no title" it may be sorted into a new album for all tracks with an album name of "no title." For details, please consult the SonicStage software Ver 3.1 Help File.

The default setting for CD Recording is ATRAC3plus 64 kbps.

The "Create MP3 CD" function can only be used with MP3 files residing in My Library. SonicStage software does not convert ATRAC or other file formats to MP3.

Rules for music files downloaded from the Connect™ music store are controlled by the copyright holders and may vary.

Track information (Artist name, Title, Genre, Album Title, etc.) obtained from copy-controlled CDs released by Sony BMG Music Entertainment cannot be edited using SonicStage software.

The following features of previous versions are not available in SonicStage software Ver 3.0 or later: EQ (equalizer), Effect (vocal canceller), Visualizer, encoding (ripping) CDs in WMA or OpenMG Audio PCM format, ripping CDs directly to connected portable devices, CD back-up function, and Analyzer Display (level meter, spectrum, waveform).

Important Notes

The SonicStage® v3.1 application upgrade is a two part process. First you will download the "SonicStage Installer" application. Then, you will execute the SonicStage Installer application. The SonicStage Installer application will identify the components you need, and will proceed to download and install those components.

This is an upgrade program, therefore the installed file will differ depending on your computer environment (the installed file size: approximately 26-74MB).

As a guideline, the expected download time is approximately 4-10 minutes when connected at 1Mbps (DSL or cable modem) and 1.5-3 hours when connected at 56kbps (dial-up modem).

Before running this program, it is recommended that you transfer ('check-in') all tracks that had been previously transferred ('checked-out') to your portable device/media.

If you were previously using SonicStage® software Ver 3.0/2.x/1.5, it is recommended that you backup your music files using the SonicStage® Backup Tool before running this program.

If you were previously using OpenMG™ Jukebox Ver.2.2 / 2.0, it is recommended that you backup your music files using the OpenMG™ Jukebox Backup Tool before running this program.

When upgrading from SonicStage® or OpenMG™ Jukebox software, the previous version will be overwritten.

For Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows® XP operating systems only: During the installation of this upgrade and to use the SonicStage® v3.1 software, make sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.

To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.

It is highly recommended to print out these instructions as a reference during the installation process.

This utility is intended to upgrade the following applications to the SonicStage v3.1 software:

SonicStage Simple Burner Version 1.x

SonicStage Versions 3.0/2.x/1.x

OpenMG™ Jukebox Versions 2.x/1.x

System Requirements

Applicable Operating Systems (manufacturer installed):

Microsoft® Windows® XP MCE 2005

Microsoft® Windows® XP MCE 2004

Microsoft® Windows® XP MCE

Microsoft® Windows® XP Pro

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Pro (Service Pack 3 or later)

Microsoft® Windows® Me

Microsoft® Windows® 98SE

Computer: IBM PC/AT or compatible

CPU: Pentium® III 450MHz or higher

Hard disk drive space: 400MB or more (the amount space will vary according to Windows version and the number of music files stored on the hard disk drive)

RAM: 128MB or more

Display: High Color (16bit) or higher, 800 x 600 dots or better (1024 x 768 dots or better is recommended)

Other: CD drive (capable of digital playback by WDM), Sound Board, USB ports (supports USB, previously called USB 1.1), Internet connection (for web registration, online music service access, and CDDB access), Windows Media Player (version 7.0 or higher for playing WMA files).

The following system types are not supported:

Operating systems other than those indicated above

Personally constructed PCs or operating systems

An environment that is an upgrade of the original manufacturer-installed operating system

Multi-boot environment

Multi-monitor environment

Macintosh® operating system environment

Download and Installation Instructions

Connect to the Internet, exit all applications, and disconnect your portable player. If the Simple Burner or OpenMG Jukebox icon is displayed on the task tray, right click on the icon(s) and select Exit.

Click the External Link above or click here to download the SonicStage v3.1 Application Upgrade Installer Program SonicStageInstaller.exe (690 KB) to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).

NOTE: If the download does not immediately start, please check across the top of your browser for a bar containing the message "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options..." This message may appear on computers that have installed Windows XP Service Pack 2. This is normal. If this message is displayed, click the information bar and select "Download File" to continue with the download.

Go to the directory where the Upgrade Installer Program was downloaded, and double-click the program to begin the installation process. This program will download only the necessary components needed to upgrade to SonicStage 3.1.

Click OK to begin downloading the needed files. Please wait while the necessary files are downloaded. This may take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours, depending on the components needed, your Internet connection speed and computer environment.

Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the Installation process.

NOTE: Although the previous version of OpenMG Jukebox or SonicStage will be overwritten, your music files will be maintained.

When the installation process is complete, restart the computer.

The SonicStage v3.1 application upgrade process is complete after the computer restarts.

Installation Confirmation (Optional)

To verify that the upgrade has installed successfully, please follow these steps to check the version number of the SonicStage application.

Start the SonicStage program.

At the SonicStage program menubar, click Help and then click "About SonicStage."

Check the version number listed. If "SonicStage Version 3.1.00.03290" is displayed, the upgrade has completed successfully.

NOTE: If the SonicStage version is not "SonicStage Version 3.1.00.03290", please download the SonicStage v3.1 Application Upgrade Installer program from the Support website again and then follow the instructions above to complete the SonicStage v3.1 application upgrade installation.