File size and editing feature ?

valtone1

Hello,

I just downloaded the free version of WavPad 3 days ago and have some questions. I have been recording 4 hour radio shows using a program called Radio Shark. This program records and save the program in a Wav (WMA) format on my harddrive. I then loaded it into Wavpad whereI want to edit out commercials and songs. The first show I can't Fastforward/edit past about 2hrs with out the same song seemingly repeating for the next hour and a half. My hard drive has the entire show if I play it on windows. Will cutting the 4 hour show into segments (tracks) fix this problem ?

I also noticed that the file is 62.5 MB as a WAV on my harddrive but when completly edited and saving w/ Wavpad the file saved as WAV is now 625 MB.

Is there aslo wa way to Fade in and out when using the Select a Specific Time feature for cutting out areas.

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony:

You may be encountering the same problem I posted about in this thread:

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?show...findpost&p=3957

I suspect this will eventually be fixed, but in the meantime, I've been chopping my large files apart with AUDACITY

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

then tweaking the file pieces with WAVEPAD (because AUDACITY doesn't have nearly the manipulating features that WAVEPAD does), then I piece the chunks back together with AUDACITY.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Hi Anthony:

You may be encountering the same problem I posted about in this thread:

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?show...findpost&p=3957

I suspect this will eventually be fixed, but in the meantime, I've been chopping my large files apart with AUDACITY

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

then tweaking the file pieces with WAVEPAD (because AUDACITY doesn't have nearly the manipulating features that WAVEPAD does), then I piece the chunks back together with AUDACITY.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the advise. I downloaded Audacity as you suggested figuring that all I wanted to do was edit out commercials and songs. Unless I was missing something there was no-where to fast forward or rewind  thru your track to find the areas you want to cut out.  In the long run, I would be sitting here for a 4 hr broadcast, listening as I cut. Am I missing something, I looked at the Help glossery and found nothing. Do you know of any other programs that will accept a large file and allow me to cut as I want?

Thanks

Hello,

I just downloaded the free version of WavPad 3 days ago and have some questions. I have been recording 4 hour radio shows using a program called Radio Shark. This program records and save the program in a Wav (WMA) format on my harddrive. I then loaded it into Wavpad whereI want to edit out commercials and songs. The first show I can't Fastforward/edit  past about 2hrs with out the same song seemingly repeating for the next hour and a half. My hard drive has the entire show if I play it on windows. Will cutting the 4 hour show into segments (tracks) fix this problem ?

I also noticed that the file is 62.5 MB as a WAV on my harddrive but when completly edited and saving w/ Wavpad the file saved as WAV is now 625 MB.

Is there aslo wa way to Fade in and out when using the Select a Specific Time feature for cutting out areas.

Thanks

Anthony

Unless I was missing something there was no-where to fast forward or rewind thru your track  . . .

Hi Anthony:

You've hit the nail on the head. AUDACITY is VERY lacking in those wonderful "Control" features that WAVEPAD has for moving around inside your file. It's too bad your raw downloaded files aren't in MP3 format -- a cute little freeware program called MP3DIRECTCUT would work perfectly for you:

http://www.mpesch3.de/

In the meantime, I keep hoping (which each new WavePad release) that better large-file-handling will show up someday.

Jerry

Guest Nikki Locke

I encountered the same problem, but found it easy to fix - I just clicked somewhere before the time limit (just over 1 hour from the beginning, in my case), and chose the "Split file into two" option. I was then able to edit the second half OK. I expect if you have files longer then two hours, you may have to split them more than once.

After I finidhed editing, I joined the files up again (Edit|Select All, Edit|Copy in the second half, End, Edit Paster in the first half).

Hi Nikki:

What a good idea! (Why didn't I think of that?) That beats chopping up the file using a different program (as I recommended earlier). Knowing that the limitation (in my case) seems to be about 1-hour-40-minutes, I can chop the file into two (or more) parts -- and I don't need to "hear" the file at that point anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Jerry