Express Scribe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steve

Greetings,

I am having the same trouble as hs. I just downloaded Express Scribe hoping to transcribe audio in either aiff, wav, or mp3 on a Mac G5 running OSX 10.3.2. Everything about the NCH site and software seems beautifully set-up and the Express Scribe application installed fine. However, when I try to load a sound file, Express Scribe doesn't recognize any of the formats I named above-- in other words the files are visible in the menu but are grayed out and can't be selected for loading. The problem is not an error message or strange behavior-- the audio files simply aren't recognized by the program.

So I too am looking for help. Everything is so tantalizingly near and yet so far. I have been hoping for a program like this for a long time, and here it is, yet I can't use it yet!

Thanks!

You could email me directly at sgreen@westernfolklife.org.

We've figured out what the problem is!

When you click the "Browse Folders" button in Scribe to find a folder to grab files from, on the Mac Scribe you can actually see the files in addition to the folders. But the files are greyed out, because you are only supposed to select a folder!. Once you have selected the folder, all audio files in that folder will be loaded into the Scribe load window. You can then make a choice as to what files you want to load into Scribe itself.

So just to clarify, the browse folder window will only let you select a folder, and the Scribe load window is where you select the files.

Guest Steve

Eureka! Thank you!

Earlier today, after I posted my help message, I spotted another message in the forum that suggested going at the audio file in a different fashion-- namely, on a Mac, hold down the Control key and select the audio file. A pop-up contextual menu appears with an option "Open With" at which point you can choose Express Scribe as the application and the file gets loaded. After discovering that, I played around with the various control features and everything seemed to work fine. My next step is rounding up a foot-pedal.

I was almost close to your solution-- I thought perhaps the files needed to be in a folder of their own so I did that-- but then went and tried again to select an individual file. Nada.

I just checked your solution-- works great!

Thanks again!!

• 3 months later...
Guest Clevergirl
So just to clarify, the browse folder window will only let you select a folder, and the Scribe load window is where you select the files.

Neither this, nor the alternative suggestion made by commenter Steve (below), worked for me. I've written about it in this more recent thread: http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?show...2336entry2336 If you have any more suggestions, I really really need some help!

thanks.