Drop outs

nchjps

I am a new user of SoundTap. I am recording to mp3 from streaming radio. When I look at the recorded signal in WavePad, there are signal drop-outs of about 50 seconds duration every few minutes regularly through the signal. Why is this happening and how can I fix this problem? I have broadband connection, and the audio signal is fine and continuous.

What messages are you getting in the SoundTap message window?

Ben

There is no indication at all of any problem in the Soundtap window - all the messages indicate normal operation. It is only when I look at the file in WavePad that these drop-outs are evident.

I could send you an example file if you want to see the file for yourself. It seems to happen whenever I do a recording. I have cable internet connection, and am using a dual processor PC, so speed shouldn't be an issue. It happens with both mp3 and wav recording.

• 1 month later...

I am also experiencing the same issue. The only message noted is "player streaming stopped". Soundtap is producing multiple mp3 when recording streaming internet audio.

Is there a resolution to this problem?

• 3 months later...

What I am seeing is a dropout at 3.5 seconds into every recording. I am recording a music stream from Pandora. SoundTap is stopping recording between every song and starting a new MP3 file. This is nice, but then it drops the sound for about 1.5 seconds after about 3 to 3.5 seconds after the start of a piece. I can use WavePad to edit it out and it is obivious in Wavepad that it just broke the stream for that 1.5 seconds. Makes a hiccup that is unacceptable.

Of course, I just bought SoundTap and not WavePad, so maybe this is a way of selling additional software. Not nice.

Of course, I just bought SoundTap and not WavePad, so maybe this is a way of selling additional software. Not nice.

Yes. That wouldn't be nice. Luckily for you we don't release deliberately broken software to sell other products.

As for the breaks in your recordings, this could be occurring due to a small break in the stream. Can you please reproduce the problem and take careful note of the messages being printed in the log window? Post those messages and I will be able to help you further.

Ben

Yes. That wouldn't be nice. Luckily for you we don't release deliberately broken software to sell other products.

As for the breaks in your recordings, this could be occurring due to a small break in the stream. Can you please reproduce the problem and take careful note of the messages being printed in the log window? Post those messages and I will be able to help you further.

Ben

I open SoundTap I open Pandora and it says "Player streaming stopped." I select Start Recording and get "Recording turned on" then "Player Streaming Started" then "Recording file [2006-11-05 172248]. At the end of a song it shows Player streaming stopped. Then immediately shows Player Streaming Started for the next song.

I checked and found gaps every 4 or so minutes in each song. If the song was shorter than approx. 4 minutes, there was just the first gap after about 3 or 4 seconds into the song. If the song was longer there was another gap about 4 minutes + just like the first gap. Looks like SoundTap hesitates after a few seconds into a recording and every 4 minutes for a couple of seconds which ruins every recording.

There are no error messages.

I did notice on a song that had a really long lead in the gap occured before the music started :) I also saved a song with the gap in it if you would like me to send you an example.

Hi Rhino,

I have a few questions to help me track this issue down and find a solution:

1. When you get a break in a track does it start recording a new file or just put a blank section in your recording?

2. If you remove this blank section is there a jump in the track or does the audio match up perfectly? To clarify: if you remove a 2 second gap does it sound as though 2 seconds of audio is now missing?

3. Do you get this problem recording from any other audio sources such as windows media player?

4. Can you please run a test to see if the same issues occur recording from a CD?

Thanks,

Ben

One thing you forgot to ask and I didn't think to tell you: recording in MP3 format CBR at 192kbps with HQ encoding turned on. I also downloaded your MP3 codex to see if that was the problem. See answers below:

Hi Rhino,

I have a few questions to help me track this issue down and find a solution:

1. When you get a break in a track does it start recording a new file or just put a blank section in your recording?

> Just a blank section in the recording.

2. If you remove this blank section is there a jump in the track or does the audio match up perfectly? To clarify: if you remove a 2 second gap does it sound as though 2 seconds of audio is now missing?

> The audio matches up perfectly when I remove the gap.

3. Do you get this problem recording from any other audio sources such as windows media player?

> No, I just tested against Windows Media Player both from a recorded file and a CD.

4. Can you please run a test to see if the same issues occur recording from a CD?

> see 3.

Thanks,

Ben

Thanks Rhino,

That is odd behaviour. I was expecting that you would have the same problem regardless of the source of the audio. The fact that it works with recorded files and CDs suggests that the problem lies in the stream. Can you please do one final test for me - try recording an internet stream from a source other than Pandora?

Thanks,

Ben