Editing one clip affects another

Megan10e

Could someone please help? I'm trying to edit a short video (about 2:30 long) of 49 clips set to a song. I'm working on editing the clips to work with the transitions in the music, but whenever I increase the length of one clip, it decreases the length of the clip after it. Is there a way to set it so that the rest of the clips "move over" when I increase the length of one clip, so the other clips are not affected?

Thank you!

Assuming that the clip in question is actually longer than what's currently on the timeline...

Select that clip in the CLIP area (left of the preview window)

In the preview window, move the IN/OUT sliders to make the selected area longer (or shorter)

You will note that this changes the clip length in the timeline without affecting the adjacent clips

Hi

Another way is...

Place your music soundtrack onto Audio track 1 and LOCK it.

Place Clip 1 on the timeline. It will migrate to video track 2 if it has a sound track. Unlink it from the audio and delete the audio. Now you can pull Clip one down to video track 1.

Pull out (or shorten) it so it finishes on the first music transition point.

Place Clip 2 onto the overlay track (track 2) so it takes over at the end of Clip 1.(The yellow rectangle will lock onto the place) NOTE: You can trim any of the clips by tragging their ends in or out.

Unlink the audio from Clip 2 and delete it.

Pull out (or shorten) the end of Clip 2 so it finishes on the next music transition point (obviously it must be long enough to reach it)

Now place Clip 3 on the overlay track so it follows Clip 2 .(It will automatically migrate to videotrack 2 if it has a sound track), Unlink the soundtrack and delete it then pull the clip down to video track .1 and move it so it starts where Clip 2 ends.(The yellow box will lock on the spot)

Drag out (or shorten) Clip 3 so it ends on the next music transition point.

Place Clip 4 on the overlay track and continue repeating the same moves....unlink sound/delete sound etc.

You will end up with the music audio on audio track 1 and the clips alternating between track 1 and track 2. In this way (provided they are long enough) you can easily adjust the ends by dragging then in and out. Also you can often see where the music transition is by the shape of the visible audio line. Note that the clip on the overlay track will overplay the track 1 clip and all the clips can be moved quite easily as there is nothing to push along.

Matching video clips to a music soundtrack is more phaffy than doing the same with still images which are silent but both need patience.

Nat