Vonage

Guest Pat

• 2 months later...
Guest JMphone
Does Express Talk work with Vonage? Has anyone been able to get it working? If so, what are the settings?

I haven't, and would like to know if anyone can confirm what a vonage helpdesk person told me, that vonage now rejects other providers' softphones. I would really like to use ExpressTalk because I want the record feature.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't, and would like to know if anyone can confirm what a vonage helpdesk person told me, that vonage now rejects other providers' softphones.  I would really like to use ExpressTalk because I want the record feature.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I have gotten Vonage to work with for the most part with Express Talk as well as Axon, and IVM. The issues that I am having are the following:

1. When placing outbound calls on Express Talk, I can make the calls successfully, but the connection timesout after about 2 mins and disconnects the call.

2. When an inbound call is received the proper menus are accessed thru IVM. The issue I have here is that when a call is to be transferred (from IVM) to an extension setup in Axon(PBX), the call is disconnected.

As for settings, you must have a softphone configured on you Vonage Account. When you receive your information you will get a full phone number (ex: 17175551212) and a password. The full number including the '1' is the SIP ID. The SIP Proxy/Domain is sphone.vopr.vonage.net.

Hope this information helps out.

• 5 weeks later...
I have gotten Vonage to work with for the most part with Express Talk as well as Axon, and IVM. The issues that I am having are the following:

1. When placing outbound calls on Express Talk, I can make the calls successfully, but the connection timesout after about 2 mins and disconnects the call.

2. When an inbound call is received the proper menus are accessed thru IVM. The issue I have here is that when a call is to be transferred (from IVM) to an extension setup in Axon(PBX), the call is disconnected.

As for settings, you must have a softphone configured on you Vonage Account. When you receive your information you will get a full phone number (ex: 17175551212) and a password. The full number including the '1' is the SIP ID. The SIP Proxy/Domain is sphone.vopr.vonage.net.

Hope this information helps out.

I am using a vonage softphone with the axon and Express talk. It does work but for only 66 secs after connection to inbound call or outbound call than it dissconnects. Every time at a minute and 6 secs.

I have email tech support on both sides with no help as of yet.

Does anyone no if you can hook up a analog adapter from a vonage phone line to the Axon system?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I also have Vonage and I wanted to use from my mac but they do not provide anything for mac except the softphone but I have unlimited plan so it's not even offered.

Anyhow I entered my my SIP ID and the proxy/domain address and my password and when I tried to initiate a call it rings for 2 seconds and then error : loop detected

is there something that I missing

thanks..

d

• 1 month later...

I have been surprised to see how many folks are having trouble using their Vonage service with Express Talk.

Please keep in mind that, to the best of my knowledge, the only Vonage product that can be used with Express Talk is their "Softphone" line. If you have Vonage's standard VoIP service, your phone line is associated with the networking hardware they provided at the time of purchase. Vonage will honor requests to move such a line from one device to another, but does not honor requests to convert "standard" VoIP lines for use with a Softphone installation.

If you specifically purchase a Softphone line from Vonage and wish to use it with Express Talk rather than the bear-bones software Vonage provides, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I have been successfully using a Vonage softphone line with the current release of Express Talk for several weeks -- for whatever reason, I haven't experienced any of the trouble discussed in this thread.

Aside from the phone number (SIP username) and password information available in the "Manage Your Softphones" area of the Vonage website, there is one extra piece of information that Vonage's softphone already knows but which Express Talk will need you to manually enter. When configuring the SIP proxy server in Express Talk (or Axon -- with which it also works fine for me), you must enter the following:

sphone.vopr.vonage.net

This isn't a particularly hard-to-find piece of information, however, and I'd be shocked if the trouble others are having were due to using a different value for this setting.

It's also worth mentioning that, by default, Express Talk starts using ports for RTP at port 8000. All current Vonage devices seem to start with port 10000 instead, so I manually made this adjustment in my Express Talk settings when going through the initial configuration. In my case I'm using a static IP address and a router on which these ports had been manually configured, so I had no doubt as to which ports were actually being used.

In any case, I hope some of this information was helpful to someone!

• 4 months later...
I have been surprised to see how many folks are having trouble using their Vonage service with Express Talk.

Please keep in mind that, to the best of my knowledge, the only Vonage product that can be used with Express Talk is their "Softphone" line. If you have Vonage's standard VoIP service, your phone line is associated with the networking hardware they provided at the time of purchase. Vonage will honor requests to move such a line from one device to another, but does not honor requests to convert "standard" VoIP lines for use with a Softphone installation.

If you specifically purchase a Softphone line from Vonage and wish to use it with Express Talk rather than the bear-bones software Vonage provides, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I have been successfully using a Vonage softphone line with the current release of Express Talk for several weeks -- for whatever reason, I haven't experienced any of the trouble discussed in this thread.

Aside from the phone number (SIP username) and password information available in the "Manage Your Softphones" area of the Vonage website, there is one extra piece of information that Vonage's softphone already knows but which Express Talk will need you to manually enter. When configuring the SIP proxy server in Express Talk (or Axon -- with which it also works fine for me), you must enter the following:

sphone.vopr.vonage.net

This isn't a particularly hard-to-find piece of information, however, and I'd be shocked if the trouble others are having were due to using a different value for this setting.

It's also worth mentioning that, by default, Express Talk starts using ports for RTP at port 8000. All current Vonage devices seem to start with port 10000 instead, so I manually made this adjustment in my Express Talk settings when going through the initial configuration. In my case I'm using a static IP address and a router on which these ports had been manually configured, so I had no doubt as to which ports were actually being used.

In any case, I hope some of this information was helpful to someone!

• 2 months later...

"I would really like to use ExpressTalk because I want the record feature.

Hope someone can shed some light on this."

I have not had the luxury of testing this system as yet because I'm On Vonage and am just researching it in hopes of being able to apply it's great features. It looks like from what I'm reading that I'll have to continue to use my other service Audacity and audio recording program in conjunction with a Radio shack hardwired recording device and maybe then I'll be able to transfer the projects and mod them using the new program provided here. if that works..

There are two ways to connect your vonage line to Express Talk / Other VoIP devices.

1) Using an FXO adaptor (purchase this, connect it between your vonage box and your network and other VoIP devices will be able to connect to the Vonage line)

2) Purchasing the 'soft phone' line from Vonage (this can only be purchased in addition to your normal Vonage line), this soft phone line can be connected directly to Express Talk and other VoIP devices. This is definitely the easiest way, but not that cheap in the long run.