can't convert with Prism

truelori

I'm trying to convert a DVD with prism. It says could not set up output file. NCH says this is a problem with Vista. The only thing is I DON'T HAVE VISTA. I have XP.

The file I want to write to can be written to. I don't understand what the point of this software is. It doesn't work at alll, no matter what I try.

I'm trying to convert a DVD with prism. It says could not set up output file. NCH says this is a problem with Vista. The only thing is I DON'T HAVE VISTA. I have XP.

The file I want to write to can be written to. I don't understand what the point of this software is. It doesn't work at alll, no matter what I try.

Hi,

have you tried writing to your desktop? thats just an easy test to start with

AJ

• 4 months later...

I've got the same problem with amy pc running Vista.

I've tried saving to the desktop and to the public folder both without asuccess.

I've also turned off User access control, with the same lack of success. I always get the message "could not set up output file".

Any suggestions?

What format do you try to convert your video to?

I've tried saving to the desktop and to the public folder both without asuccess.

I've also turned off User access control, with the same lack of success. I always get the message "could not set up output file".

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Hi,

What is your file name? It is possible it too large

• 2 weeks later...
Guest N.C.H a.n
Why has no one ever received TECH SUpport that resolved all theri problems ? Is this a one man company ?

Hi,

No its not.

If running on Vista and you are having trouble writing a file to a destination, please try the following.

1) turn of user account control (located in user accounts in the control panel after clicking on the user you are logged on as)

2) If user UAC is off and it still doesn't work, Close prism, then right click the file that you normally click to run it and click "run as administrator"

3) If that fails, then again, right click the file to run prism, and click properties. then click the compatability tab, and select the option to run the program in compatability mode for xp sp2.

If all above methods fail, uninstall the software, then on the install file, Do the compatabilty thing as described above. But also check the box to run the program as administrator. then run the installer to install the program.

Please let me know if these methods do, or don't fix the problem so we can get the programmers to have a look at the code.

Also If there is any trouble with conversions, in options there is an option to use ffmpeg first, this fixes a lot of conversion problems if they arise.

Thankyou

• 1 month later...

MP4-Converter is THE BEST.

I found it on this site: http://mp4-converter.info/

MP4-Converter is the next generation easy-to-use software that converts any popular video format like AVI, DivX, MPEG, WMV, MOV, RM, VOB, 3GP to MP4.

Download url: http://mp4-converter.info/_dwnld2/MP4_Converter.exe

P.S. MP4-Converter will convert just about any audio and video that can be played on your computer!

http://mp4-converter.info/

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough I had the same issue. Try a small test with another output format, say wmv. Their FAQ about it being a VISTA problem is certainly not complete. Am just trying out the product, converting flv to avi. I am running XP Pro. The issue turned out to be Prism did not like the avi codec - here's what I did, first try the same conversion to wmv that worked fine, so I knew it was not an issue of not having access rights to a particular location. Swapped the codec to a different one (encoder options button next to the output format selector), worked better but then crashed. Restarted Prism, it asked if it had just crashed (very interesting if not psychic). I said yes and Prism offered to switch to its own codec set. I said yes. Now on my second test looking good. Sorry I can't check the settings right now. In middle of long test.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Mac and the free version of Prism worked just great. After I paid for a regular copy, it refuses to convert files. It just keeps saying that its not a valid file.... But the files play OK on quicktime.

My reason for buying prism is that avi files , many times the audio will not play on quicktime but if I converted with the free prism to mov then the audio would play.

I pay and then get squat.

Hey guys, how about some help here.

eldernorm

• 3 weeks later...

i had the same problem trying to convert mp4 to avi, it kept saying cant set up output file. After reading SFKenK's reply i checked the encoder. It was native mpeg so i changed to a divx codec (Divx 5.2.1) and it worked fine