IVM Not Answering - but makes and records outbound calls

mikeprocess

Using an Aopen FM56-PX Controllerless PCI modem with WinXP Pro SP3

I can make an outgoing call and record it and play it back.

But IVM Answering Attendant won't answer an incoming call.

The modem shows up as a Hardware Device in "My Computer" under the Modem title. Says it is working and driver is from Aopen and not Microsoft.

Don't have Caller ID set to flash when call comes in, and don't have Auto Hours selected.

When setting up software I am given the choice to record my outgoing message via the modem or via my computer sound board, so I assume that means the modem is recognized by the software. And the modem does show up as a device in the "line devices list"

I can play the outgoing message and listen to it through computer speakers. (didn't try to listen to it via the phone)

And in my tests the software will successfully email a test outgoing call that I recorded.

Have I missed something obvious :-) as to why software won't answer phone?

Thanks

Please check to make sure IVM is set to "On" mode (there is a little On/Off button near the top-left of the window).

Also make sure you set the OGM to answer with (beside the On/Off switch), if no OGM is selected, it won't answer.

If it's on and an OGM is set, does it work when you try the simulator?

If the simulator works, how many rings do you have IVM set to before it answers (under settings)?

>Please check to make sure IVM is set to "On" mode (there is a little On/Off button near the top-left of the window).

It is set to "On" mode, and in the system tray the icon is red and says "attendant on".

>Also make sure you set the OGM to answer with (beside the On/Off switch), if no OGM is selected, it won't answer.

I have recorded an OGM which is set to go.

It appears to work when I try the simulator. It plays my outgoing message. And this is what the log says.

10:02:54 IVM Answering Attendant Run

10:05:30 Line 1 5555555555 [Answered]

10:05:30 Answered line [1 "Line 1"] call number [7] cid [5555555555] did[] drn[0 (0ms)]

10:05:30 Play file: C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\IVM\OGMs\Default Answering Message.wav

10:05:42 Command - Leave Message

10:05:42 Leave message for mailbox:Default

10:05:42 Play system prompt: RecordTone

10:05:43 Recording File: C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\IVM\MailBoxes\Default ICM000008.wav

10:05:43 Recorded message discarded because it was too short

10:05:43 Call disconnected

>If it's on and an OGM is set, does it work when you try the simulator?

Please see above log.

>If the simulator works, how many rings do you have IVM set to before it answers (under settings)?

I have it set for 2 rings.

I can't think of anything else I've missed :-)

I was thinking of buying a different modem. This one sells for just $15.00 dollars. Does it sound compatible with IVM?

http://www.hiroinc.com/2008/H50006.htm

HiRO V.92 56K Internal PCI Data Fax Voice Modem, Microsoft WHQL approved, Vista Compatible, RoHS

Features & Benefits:

Latest V.92 Standard Protocol:

Faster Connection Up To 56 Kbps

Less Time To Establish A Connection Can Answer Phone Call During Active Connection

Modem-On-Hold Feature

Receive Phone Call During Active

Internet Connection Without Termination

FaxTalk Communicator Software:

Allow Your PC / Modem To Serve As Your FAX & Voicemail Machine

Highly Compatible With Various Operation Systems

From Dated Microsoft Window 98SE To Latest Vista 32/64 Editions

Specification:

Modem Protocol: ITU-T V.92/K56Flex, ITU-T V.34bis, V.34, V.32bis, V.32, V.22bis, V.22, V.21, V.23 Bell 212A/103, V.80

Fax Compatibility: 14.4 kbps Send / Receive, G3 Compatible

Software Compatibility: AT Command Set Compatible

Error Correction: MNP2-4, V.42

Data Compression: MNP5, V.42bis, & V.44

DTE To Modem Data Rate Max: 115200 bps

Data Interface: PCI BUS 2.1

Voice Function: YES, through FaxTalk

Line Interface: RJ-11 Modular Jack, Line & Phone

System Requirement: Pentium II 266 MHz or higher, 1 CD-ROM Drive, 1 Available PCI Slot

Supported Operation Systems:

Microsoft Window 98SE, ME, 2000, Server 2003, XP, XP Professional x64, & Vista 32 / 64 Editions RedHat Linux

RoHS Compliance

What do you think?

Thanks for your efforts!

IVM only works with TAPI compliant modems, and under protocols it appears your modem supports just about every standard I can thnk of except one of the most popular, TAPI.

The price doesn't usually matter, although TAPI compliant voice modems usually go for a minimum of $25 a piece and tend to average out at about $35-$40 for the decent quality ones. Just so long as the modem specifies on the box that it is both TAPI compliant and voice capable/"Voice Modem" you should be fine.

The price doesn't usually matter, although TAPI compliant voice modems usually go for a minimum of $25 a piece and tend to average out at about $35-$40 for the decent quality ones. Just so long as the modem specifies on the box that it is both TAPI compliant and voice capable/"Voice Modem" you should be fine.

I wrote the manufacturer of the modem I'm thinking of buying and they replied:

"it is TAPI compliant and is a half Duplex Voice modem"

Is this what I want to hear or should I be worried about the "half duplex" instead of "full duplex" if there is such a thing :-)

Thanks

Hmm, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work then.

As for half-duplex or full-duplex, I'm going to make an (educated) guess that it refers to whether or not the modem can make use of both pairs of wires in a phone cable, or just 1 pair. A typical RJ11 phone cable has 2 pairs of wires.. the second pair is pretty much never used unless you're using some kind of device that especially uses the alternate pair for something like a 2-Line phone, and very rarely some Fax machines and dial-up/ISDN modems. Some phone cables don't even have the second pair now.. it saves on costs and as I said, it's pretty useless most of the time.

Anyway, if that is what it is referring to, that is not something you should be concerned about.

Perhaps try downloading a newer drivers, or do a google search for a TAPI diagnostics utility that maybe you can use to check whether the hardware has a fault or there is a bug in the driver or if the problem exists only with IVM.