Removing Echo

lshibata

Hello - Just downloaded to try and am very very new to editing files. I recorded something in a convention hall and there is such an echo, at parts, I can't understand what the speaker is saying. Is there a setting I can remove that echo?

Many thanks!

Lil

Hello - Just downloaded to try and am very very new to editing files. I recorded something in a convention hall and there is such an echo, at parts, I can't understand what the speaker is saying. Is there a setting I can remove that echo?

Many thanks!

Lil

The type of echo/reverb effect you're describing would be difficult even for a seasoned pro to eliminate. It's characteristics aren't easy to identify and isolate (versus distinct clicks, pops, hiss, etc., for example). You might try experimenting with some of the various "Noise Reduction" and "Band" filtering effects. Long term, the key is to optimize the live recording scenario as much as possible. Pinning a wireless mic on the speaker's lapel is the best solution but assuming that's not possible, a highly directional shotgun mic should help.

• 11 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello,

I know this is a long time in the past now, but I stumbled across this post after a rather echo-y recording. I found the "Nice and Clean" filter did a lot of good work for me without turning the voice too "robotic". I actually used the "Automatic Gain Control" in Cleanup then "Nice and Clean" and the speakers voice still sounded, although not great, mostly natural - more like a conversation over a video call than actually being in the same room. But he was easier to understand at least!

Anyway, that's just some advice for anyone else who stumbles over this post!

• 11 months later...
On 8/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, Sporty Usher James said:

Hello,

I know this is a long time in the past now, but I stumbled across this post after a rather echo-y recording. I found the "Nice and Clean" filter did a lot of good work for me without turning the voice too "robotic". I actually used the "Automatic Gain Control" in Cleanup then "Nice and Clean" and the speakers voice still sounded, although not great, mostly natural - more like a conversation over a video call than actually being in the same room. But he was easier to understand at least!

Anyway, that's just some advice for anyone else who stumbles over this post!

I just 'stumbled' across the above post! I am also having a problem with echo in a voice recording, but I am unable to find this 'Nice and Clean' feature Sporty Usher James spoke of. Anybody able to help with this or give advice on a different way to remove voice echo?