How to encrypt preexisting files

klirelan

How do I encrypt a preexisting .wav file and save as a .dct file?

How do I then play that encrypted file back in Express Scribe?

Unfortunately, how to execute that basic functionality is not represented in the manual.

Thank you.

How do I encrypt a preexisting .wav file and save as a .dct file?

First, you must have registered Express Dictate with an appropriate licence to be able to encrypt recordings. Once you have done that, drag-and-drop your WAV file into the Dictate window. (There's a known problem with Dictate where drag-and-drop doesn't work the first time the program is run by the installer, so if you've just installed, make sure you close and relaunch the application before you start.) Next, open Options and add a Recipient in the Send tab and set the send method (e-mail, LAN, FTP) and details, then go to the File tab of the same Recipient Properties dialog. Select DCT format then check "Encrypt recordings for additional security and privacy" and set the encryption key. OK your way out of the options dialogs then click the Send button on the toolbar to send the dictation.

How do I then play that encrypted file back in Express Scribe?

If you chose to send the dictation by email, your email program should offer to open the file for you with Scribe when you open the attachment. If you chose a LAN or FTP send method in Dictate then open Scribe's Options and add an incoming source to the Incoming tab, OK back to the main screen, and click the "Load Now" button in the toolbar. Either way, as you've sent an encrypted dictation for the first time, Scribe will now prompt you for the encryption key to open the file.