Axon with D-Link 1402S

doront99

Hello all,

I recently purchased a D-Link 1402S voip router to connect my regular phone lines into a voip solution that I want to make for a small office.

I'm very interested in purchasing NCH software to make a voip solution in our office, including an IVR system, etc'.

I have installed the trial version of Axon (and also the other products), in order to check if this solution works.

I can't figure out if I can connect my d-link voip router to Axon, so I will be able to "forward" my phone lines to the voip system.

this is the product page of d-link router:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=361

Can you please help me?

Many thanks,

Doron

The first thing I just wanted to note is that Axon is currently a free product so you don't have to worry about the trial period ending on it.

Ok, now for the configuration part. The D-Link router you have seems to be a bit 'outdated' so it doesn't really follow the same easy configuration steps that is pretty standard to most VoIP devices today. That being said, it should be more than capable of working with Axon just fine. From the looks of it, you should try the following steps to configure the device.

IN AXON

1. Create a new extension for your D-Link router with an appropriate username/extension number and password.

IN D-Link router config

1. Open up the router's web config page in a browser window

2. In the tree-folder navigation menu, open the folder "SIP Configuration" then click Server

3. Change Server FQDN to disabled. And set the IP address to that of the computer with Axon on it

4. Keep port set to 5060

5. Set Service Domain to the same IP address as above

6. Set outbound proxy to enabled

7. Set Outbound Proxy FQDN to disabled and enter the IP of your Axon computer

8. Under the codec settings, set

- G.711a-law to 1

- G.711u-law to 2

- G.726 to 3

- G.723.1 to 4

- G.729a to 5

9. Back to the tree-folder menu, select User Agent

10. If you want both phones to be on the same extension, set "Same Number" to enabled, otherwise set it to disabled and select two from the option below it when you want to configure the second account.

11. Set phone number to the extension number you set in Axon

12. Set Display name to one of your choosing (Caller ID purposes)

13. Leave port at 5060

14. Authentication Username should also be set to the Axon extension number

15. Authentication Password should be set to the extension's password you set earlier

16. Save that, and give it a few seconds to kick in and see if Axon detects and registers the D-Link phone

With a bit of luck it should work.. but compared to newer VoIP devices which usually just require a Username, password and server IP for a basic set-up, this device really makes it much more complicated than it needs to be.

wow,

many thanks for you detailed answer :)

I'm going to try it right now.

Will inform you soon.

I'm relieved for that I can use this router (cause I already bought it :))

Thanks,

Doron

The first thing I just wanted to note is that Axon is currently a free product so you don't have to worry about the trial period ending on it.

Ok, now for the configuration part. The D-Link router you have seems to be a bit 'outdated' so it doesn't really follow the same easy configuration steps that is pretty standard to most VoIP devices today. That being said, it should be more than capable of working with Axon just fine. From the looks of it, you should try the following steps to configure the device.

IN AXON

1. Create a new extension for your D-Link router with an appropriate username/extension number and password.

IN D-Link router config

1. Open up the router's web config page in a browser window

2. In the tree-folder navigation menu, open the folder "SIP Configuration" then click Server

3. Change Server FQDN to disabled. And set the IP address to that of the computer with Axon on it

4. Keep port set to 5060

5. Set Service Domain to the same IP address as above

6. Set outbound proxy to enabled

7. Set Outbound Proxy FQDN to disabled and enter the IP of your Axon computer

8. Under the codec settings, set

- G.711a-law to 1

- G.711u-law to 2

- G.726 to 3

- G.723.1 to 4

- G.729a to 5

9. Back to the tree-folder menu, select User Agent

10. If you want both phones to be on the same extension, set "Same Number" to disabled, otherwise set it to enabled and select two from the option below it when you want to configure the second account.

11. Set phone number to the extension number you set in Axon

12. Set Display name to one of your choosing (Caller ID purposes)

13. Leave port at 5060

14. Authentication Username should also be set to the Axon extension number

15. Authentication Password should be set to the extension's password you set earlier

16. Save that, and give it a few seconds to kick in and see if Axon detects and registers the D-Link phone

With a bit of luck it should work.. but compared to newer VoIP devices which usually just require a Username, password and server IP for a basic set-up, this device really makes it much more complicated than it needs to be.

OK, great :)

now it connects to Axon.

Now I have different problem. The router is answering the call and immediately hangs up :(

Can you help me with that also?

Many many thanks,

Doron

wow,

many thanks for you detailed answer :)

I'm going to try it right now.

Will inform you soon.

I'm relieved for that I can use this router (cause I already bought it :))

Thanks,

Doron

What does the Axon status window / log say when you make a call to the D-Link extension?

Also, if you call from a softphone like Express Talk, what does that status window say?

It is also a good idea to enable SIP tracing (Logs -> Advanced Sip Tracing -> Log all sip messages in Axon) and then post the sip trace log here (make a call before posting the log so the call is traced). This comprehensive debug log should help identify the problem more accurately and quickly.

hmm... now I understand the problem.

This router is for normal phone and not for PSTN lines.

What I need is actually a way to connect my PSTN line to the VOIP software such as Axon and then to use IVM to answer the calls.

Apparently this router is not good for that case, or maybe I have a misunderstanding?

If not, what hardware do I need to use in-order to connect my PSTN line to Axon and from there to the IVM?

Many thanks,

Doron

What does the Axon status window / log say when you make a call to the D-Link extension?

Also, if you call from a softphone like Express Talk, what does that status window say?

It is also a good idea to enable SIP tracing (Logs -> Advanced Sip Tracing -> Log all sip messages in Axon) and then post the sip trace log here (make a call before posting the log so the call is traced). This comprehensive debug log should help identify the problem more accurately and quickly.

Ah I see. For that you need what is called an FXO adapter. The FXO adapter connects a PSTN line and essentially converts it to VoIP.

The adapter that NCH recommends is the Linksys Sipura 3102, and it costs around ~$100 when you purchase through NCH/AltoEdge.

There are other FXO adapters out there, but there is no guarantee of their compatibility.

Once the line is VoIP, it can be used with Axon, IVM and any other VoIP enabled device connected to Axon, with no additional hardware necessary.

There is also an alternative option. You can purchase a compatible Professional Telephony Board and use it in conjunction with an FXO software driver. But in general these products are considerably more expensive, and would only be worth it if you needed several phone lines.

Also I should point out that if all you want to do is have IVM answer calls like an answering machine, then there is no need for an FXO adapter or Axon. A PSTN line can be connected directly to IVM using a standard TAPI compliant Voice Modem (these are sold in most computer shops, probably for around $30 - $40). This will allow IVM to answer calls and also make calls through the PSTN lines, however you will not have nearly the amount of functionality you would get with the FXO adapter. The main difference is, with the FXO adapter, calls can be routed/managed by Axon and sent to IVM or other phones on your network and the calls can be transfered accordingly (e.g. with an IVR menu).. where as a Voice Modem just allows basic communication between IVM and the phone line, and is more suited to just answering the phone, collecting details, taking a message etc.

When I read about the product (Sipura 3102) I can see that it somehow related to the USA PSTN lines.

Will it work in other countries then the USA? such as Israel (where I'm located).

As for the modem: I have tried working with a normal TAPI modem, but the sound quality was awful (I used a ZOOM modem).

I prefer to spend more, but to get a better product.

Ah I see. For that you need what is called an FXO adapter. The FXO adapter connects a PSTN line and essentially converts it to VoIP.

The adapter that NCH recommends is the Linksys Sipura 3102, and it costs around ~$100 when you purchase through NCH/AltoEdge.

There are other FXO adapters out there, but there is no guarantee of their compatibility.

Once the line is VoIP, it can be used with Axon, IVM and any other VoIP enabled device connected to Axon, with no additional hardware necessary.

There is also an alternative option. You can purchase a compatible Professional Telephony Board and use it in conjunction with an FXO software driver. But in general these products are considerably more expensive, and would only be worth it if you needed several phone lines.

Also I should point out that if all you want to do is have IVM answer calls like an answering machine, then there is no need for an FXO adapter or Axon. A PSTN line can be connected directly to IVM using a standard TAPI compliant Voice Modem (these are sold in most computer shops, probably for around $30 - $40). This will allow IVM to answer calls and also make calls through the PSTN lines, however you will not have nearly the amount of functionality you would get with the FXO adapter. The main difference is, with the FXO adapter, calls can be routed/managed by Axon and sent to IVM or other phones on your network and the calls can be transfered accordingly (e.g. with an IVR menu).. where as a Voice Modem just allows basic communication between IVM and the phone line, and is more suited to just answering the phone, collecting details, taking a message etc.

The Sipura 3102 is compatible with any phone system in the world. However depending on where you are located, and the type of phone system in your area.. you may be required to adjust the built-in "regional" settings to fit your requirements. These regional settings basically help the program detect things like

Dial Tone, Second Dial Tone, Outside Dial Tone, Prompt Tone, Busy Tone, Reorder Tone, Off Hook Warning Tone, Ring Back Tone, Confirm Tone, SIT1 Tone, SIT2 Tone, SIT3 Tone, SIT4 Tone, MWI Dial Tone, Cfwd Dial Tone, Holding Tone, Conference Tone, Secure Call Indication Tone, VoIP PIN Tone, PSTN PIN Tone, Line voltages, Service Activation Codes, Control timer, and Caller ID
. If you leave them on the original settings (for North America), you may encounter various problems, and some features probably won't work (although for the most part it may be semi-functional).

The only problem is, the regional settings are not straightforward at all, nor are they user configurable.. e.g. the default value for Dialtone for North America is 350@-19,440@-19;10(*/0/1+2)... so basically you need to find an expert who has already figured out all the values for Israel and use those.

again, many thanks for your answers :)

I have made a little research, and there is a problem using this linksys gateway here in Israel (regulation issues).

However, I found that an Israeli company named AudioCodes makes voip hardware solutions.

What do you say about that one (module MP-114):

http://www.audiocodes.com/objects/30010_DS...,%20MP-124D.pdf

Will it work for me with NCH softwares?

Thanks,

Doron

The Sipura 3102 is compatible with any phone system in the world. However depending on where you are located, and the type of phone system in your area.. you may be required to adjust the built-in "regional" settings to fit your requirements. These regional settings basically help the program detect things like. If you leave them on the original settings (for North America), you may encounter various problems, and some features probably won't work (although for the most part it may be semi-functional).

The only problem is, the regional settings are not straightforward at all, nor are they user configurable.. e.g. the default value for Dialtone for North America is 350@-19,440@-19;10(*/0/1+2)... so basically you need to find an expert who has already figured out all the values for Israel and use those.

From the looks of it, the device certainly looks like it could be compatible. It does seem to have 1 or more "FXO" ports that provide FXO Trunking for IP PBXs (what we're looking for), and it also supports the SIP protocol and the G.711 a/u law codec. So I am inclined to think it should be useable... however I cannot guarantee this, and I can't really tell how you would set it up and interface it with Axon until I have more info about how all the features work.

If I were you, I would contact NCH and see what they have to say about the product, because I don't recommend you go out and buy it because I think it should work (unless you can return it).

You may also consider a compatible telephony board such as a CAHTA, CallURL or Synway

In combination with the NCH Carousel software (that acts as an FXO adapter).