DSS file problem

milbau

I'm new to ExpressScribe, and I've been trying for a week to get the program to play my DSS files. The files seem to download correctly but the duration is :00. I initially tried the new 4.17 version with no success. After reading about this same subject in a few recent posts, I found an older 4.05 version to download (along with the component patch). However, no luck there either. I've rebooted, installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. (running Window XP Professional SP2).

Is anyone else still having trouble with the DSS files? Any suggestions? Thanks!

[...] I've been trying for a week to get the program to play my DSS files. The files seem to download correctly but the duration is :00. [...]

Do you know the brand and/or model of the recorder that was used to create the files?

I am having the exact same problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Every time I try to open the voice job, it shows 00.00. It has been tested by a friend of mine and she got it to open. I don't get it, what is wrong? Anybody? Help!!! Thanks!! :(

I am having the exact same problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Every time I try to open the voice job, it shows 00.00. It has been tested by a friend of mine and she got it to open. I don't get it, what is wrong? Anybody? Help!!! Thanks!! :(

The lastest version can play dss on XP any version, a small file is needed to be pasted and bingo, it will play.

For more info you can chat on mayukh_11@hotmail.com on msn

Do you know the brand and/or model of the recorder that was used to create the files?

Unfortunately, I don't have that information. My doc tends to change recorders and I'm not sure which one he is using now.

Tech support tested one of my DSS files and they were able to get it to play on their end. However, they've not yet been able to provide me the info on how to fix it for my ExpressScribe.

I just emailed Mayukh per the message above regarding a possible solution for this. Hopefully there will be some good news soon!

The lastest version can play dss on XP any version, a small file is needed to be pasted and bingo, it will play.

For more info you can chat on mayukh_11@hotmail.com on msn

Pls help....same issue here...downloaded the dss32 before express scribe....tried all the versions to no avail. :(

I have been able to successfully play .DSS files and also to successfully replicate and solve the issue you have been having, try the following steps:

1. Uninstall Express scribe through control panel > add/remove software

2. Delete all "scribe" folders in the following directories, before doing this you should create a back up copy of these folders if you have jobs in them currently:

C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound

C:\Program Files\NCH Software

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound *replace user with your user name

3. Search computer for "DSS32" using the search function (just press ctrl+f in my computer) and delete any instance of "DSS32.exe"

4. Install Express Scribe from this page:

http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html

5. Try playing a DSS File.

6. If unsuccessful download and install the DSS32 component:

http://www.nch.com.au/components/dss32.exe

I have been able to successfully play .DSS files and also to successfully replicate and solve the issue you have been having, try the following steps:

2. Delete all "scribe" folders in the following directories, before doing this you should create a back up copy of these folders if you have jobs in them currently:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound *replace user with your user name

3. Search computer for "DSS32" using the search function (just press ctrl+f in my computer) and delete any instance of "DSS32.exe"

Just went through the above steps...to no avail. It still won't play DSS files.

I also went through these steps, and cleaned the registry of all references to ES before reinstalling. Still didn't work - DSS files have 0 duration. Is there something specific to the recorder type? I have an Olympus. I can use ES by converting the DSS files to WAV, but would love to avoid this step.

MM

I deleted all the files again. Downloaded version 4.17. Deleted all the dictation (which were tests anyway) showing 00 duration and loaded a new test dictation. The new test played just like it should have. I should say I'm a new user, still in the testing phase, so I didn't have old versions (except for those I tried this week) already loaded.

I deleted all the files again. Downloaded version 4.17. Deleted all the dictation (which were tests anyway) showing 00 duration and loaded a new test dictation. The new test played just like it should have. I should say I'm a new user, still in the testing phase, so I didn't have old versions (except for those I tried this week) already loaded.

Did you remove your Olympus software prior to reinstalling ExpressScribe? If not, did you delete the voice files from the Olympus program? Thanks!

Hi all,

I was working for the whole day on this problem and I am glad that you guys were having the same probs with ES 4.17 - thx to all of you, you helped me a lot. And that is why I also want to share my solution on this topic with you!

I found out, that the dss32 component is the problem in my case - not the ES version in total! If you take the actual dss32.dll from the components page, you only get zero duration dss files.

Luckily, I made ES work on my Linux partition a while ago via wine (windows emulator software). And this one always worked fine. So I took the older dss32.dll and replaced the new one with this version - voila: everything works fine now, even with 4.17!

The only obvious difference is the file size: the new version has 204kb, the old one only 186kb. So, if you can find an old version of this file - give it a try! Maybe the NCH-guys may put an older version online as well!

Best regards,

Patrick

I just wanted to say that I, too, am having the same problem--a duration of 0, and refusal to play, DSS files with 4.17. I have a Dell with XP, if it matters or if anybody's keeping records.

I've deleted and redownloaded ES back to the .exe, redownloaded the DSS file, tried another DSS,etc. It does MP3s just fine.

I had this problem and went back to 4.05 which worked fine - to a point. lately we have had intermittent problems again with file length and I know the problem (as the old problem) relates to file conversion.

Scribe converts dss to wav and this hangs up. 4.17 is no better.

A work around is to convert the dss file using a 3rd party prog - truespeech,gsm or adcpm codecs will do - and then drop it into scribe.The file is fine and no need to dictate again!!!!!

Its a fuss but i'm sure these boys will get it working smoothly one day ( maybe next year??)

A work around is to convert the dss file using a 3rd party prog - truespeech,gsm or adcpm codecs will do - and then drop it into scribe.

What 3rd party software are you using for the conversion?

I had this problem and went back to 4.05 which worked fine - to a point. lately we have had intermittent problems again with file length and I know the problem (as the old problem) relates to file conversion.

Scribe converts dss to wav and this hangs up. 4.17 is no better.

A work around is to convert the dss file using a 3rd party prog - truespeech,gsm or adcpm codecs will do - and then drop it into scribe.The file is fine and no need to dictate again!!!!!

Its a fuss but i'm sure these boys will get it working smoothly one day ( maybe next year??)

I'd like to know more about all this too. I've now downloaded ES to 2 XP Dells and 1 XP Compaq, but none work any better than any other. Thanks!!

Has anybody bought the support service for these problems? If so, was it fixed? I'm not adverse to buying a little help, or even some software, if I can be relatively sure it'll fix the problem and get me rolling. I haven't had any income since mid-September, so I don't want to throw good money after bad. I also can't afford to take much longer trying to get going for this job. Any suggestions, anybody? Any are most gratefully accepted!! :)

Has anybody bought the support service for these problems? If so, was it fixed? I'm not adverse to buying a little help, or even some software, if I can be relatively sure it'll fix the problem and get me rolling. I haven't had any income since mid-September, so I don't want to throw good money after bad. I also can't afford to take much longer trying to get going for this job. Any suggestions, anybody? Any are most gratefully accepted!! :)

I did not buy the support service although they were kind enough to promptly respond to this problem when I emailed them. They tested my DSS files and found that they were able to upload and play them correctly. However, they were still unable to identify whatever it is that prevents ES from playing them on my end. I've tried every available solution posted on the boards here with no luck. I finally just gave up on ES for DSS and am using my old Olympus software program to transcribe DSS files.

Just double checking, are you all running the latest version of Express Scribe? (Download the installer on our site now and use this.) Have you tried installing an older version before this "DSS issue" started occurring? Results?

Be aware that Olympus have recently changed their DSS format, which is why problems started occurring in the first place. Try loading an old DSS file you have and see if you have any success with this.

Just double checking, are you all running the latest version of Express Scribe? (Download the installer on our site now and use this.) Have you tried installing an older version before this "DSS issue" started occurring? Results?

Be aware that Olympus have recently changed their DSS format, which is why problems started occurring in the first place. Try loading an old DSS file you have and see if you have any success with this.

I used the newest (.17) on each computer, then played with older versions on my laptop. I tried several versions back to .05. No change.

I know the last DSS was new, but I have no idea about the other 2. I'm not sure that I have access to an old DSS.

It doesn't matter whether you're running the last version of ES or not. ES does not work with dss files.

I've had my Olympus recorder for almost a year now and ES has not worked with it. The recorder records in WMA format. It is not recent at all. It is a falsehood for you to say so. NCH has been unable or unwilling to fix the problem.

I asked for support regarding this same problem. I was directed to this forum. I've tried, unsuccessfully, installing/reinstalling both ES and Switch. I finally broke down and purchased support. I submitted a request (explaining all of my efforts) and was promptly directed back to this forum. Wow, I'm so glad I purchased the support plan. :o