How to get WMA files to load in Express Scribe

laulow

I am new and just downloaded Express Scribe. I was given a CD to transcribe and the files are in WMA format. I have tried to get them to load off of the CD or through Media Player, but it did not work. I couldn't even see the files on Media Player and what I got to load off of the CD was just screeching noise. It does play correctly in Media Player.

Any help is greatly appreciated as they are wanting this back quickly.

Thanks,

Laurie :blink:

I did check the WMA box and that didn't work. I messed around with it some more this morning and managd to do something that worked. I just hope I can remember what I did for the other 19 files I need to transcribe.

Thanks for all of the input.

Laurie

• 1 year later...
I did check the WMA box and that didn't work. I messed around with it some more this morning and managd to do something that worked. I just hope I can remember what I did for the other 19 files I need to transcribe.

Thanks for all of the input.

Laurie

Hi there,

Just wondering if you can tell me how tofix this problem. All .wma files will not load or play in Express Scribe.

I am desperate for a solution. Any help would be appreciated. :) anne

All .wma files will not load or play in Express Scribe.

Steps for trouble-shooting problems loading WMA files in Express Scribe:

1. Update to the latest version of Microsoft DirectX.
  2. Update to the latest version of Microsoft Windows Media Player.
  3. Play the file in Microsoft Windows Media Player.

If you've completed the above three steps successfully and still can't play the file in Express Scribe then check for Digital Rights Management (DRM):

1. Load the file into Microsoft Windows Media Player again.
  2. Right click on the file and select Properties.
  3. Click on the "Media Usage Rights" tab.

If the media usage rights information does not say "This file is not protected" then you need a licence to play the file. If you do not have this licence then you cannot use the file in Express Scribe.

Unfortunately I have followed all of the steps suggested and the files will still not load into Scribe.

I have also checked and they are not "media usage rights".

Can you be more specific than "will not load"? Can you describe the symptoms? Do you get any error messages?

How are you trying to load the files? (Double-clicking them in Explorer? Drag-and-drop into Scribe? Via Scribe's "Load" menu item?)

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

Normally when I use the load option in Scribe and I select the file from its location it will start loading and will show the percentage progress of the loading 1%, 2% etc until it is fully loaded. When I attempt to load .wma files the name of the file will appear in the list of files already there under Dictation Name ... however the duration of the file remains at 00.00 and no audio is loaded. There is no action whatsoever.

I have also tried to load the file from its location by right clicking and then selecting "Open with Scribe". When I use this method the name of the file will appear under the Scribe Dictation name (as above) and will immediately say loading 10% ... there has been no percentage progress prior to that and none afterwards at all. The file name appears in the list but the file never loads and it shows the time as 0.00.

I also just attemped the drag and drop into Scribe as well and that doesnt accept the file either.

There is no error message throughout either process.

I am able to download various other file formats and load into Scribe without any problems.

So a complete mystery?

Any other ideas?

Can you be more specific than "will not load"? Can you describe the symptoms? Do you get any error messages?

How are you trying to load the files? (Double-clicking them in Explorer? Drag-and-drop into Scribe? Via Scribe's "Load" menu item?)

Normally when I use the load option in Scribe and I select the file from its location it will start loading and will show the percentage progress of the loading 1%, 2% etc until it is fully loaded. When I attempt to load .wma files the name of the file will appear in the list of files already there under Dictation Name ... however the duration of the file remains at 00.00 and no audio is loaded.

Please submit a bug report (in Scribe's menus: Help -> "Send Bug Report"), making sure to include your email address. NCH will then contact you, asking for a sample file for the developers to test with.

• 4 weeks later...
Please submit a bug report (in Scribe's menus: Help -> "Send Bug Report"), making sure to include your email address. NCH will then contact you, asking for a sample file for the developers to test with.

I did as you suggested back in February and have still heard nothing from NCH. I am still unable to play .WMA files through Express Scribe.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi. I have the same problem as anne2810.. 00:00 audio time. can you send me the same set of instructions you gave her? Thank you...

Hello, I have the same problem. Are these instructions available for me too? Please help. (ylee19@gmail.com)

• 1 month later...

Hey, I encountered the same problem when loading .wav or .mp3 files to Scribe. I finally turned to the IT staff in my company for help. One of the technical helped and solved the problem. He thought that the problem might be the location where the files are saved. I originally saved the files at "My Documents File". Then the route for the Sribe to get the files might be too long, because the route of the files is C:\Documents and Settings\kj\My Documents\暴风转码\file 1. He suggested that I should save the files just under the C disk. Then the route will be much shorter and it become C:\file 1.

This might be the reason. So if you have such problem, try his suggestion.

Good luck with Express Scribe.