More than 1 SIP Channel

DonFritz

Don, I also have a Callcentric DID and asked similar questions. You can read the detailed answers provided by pythonpole at

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=7999 (See his posts # 4 and #6)

Close, but no cigar. Thanks for the reply but most of what I see in those are for Express Talk. I understand that the Express Talk has 6 lines and you can answer up to the 3 lines that CallCentric (CC) allows because all 6 lines are configured the same. My question is, how you do this in Axon. I only set up 1 external line with my CC number and therefore assume I can only receive one incoming call at a time. Do I set up 3 external lines or will this cause a conflict at CC: or if I set up one external line will Axon see a second call coming from CC and pass it to another extension in the group? I also assume that this would be the same configuration for the IVM without Axon as it also uses the same basic incoming line scheme. In most of my applications I will only need the IVM as a stand alone running 15 to 20 SIP lines and not use Axon. Hope this clears things up. (laughing to myself)

Don

My understanding is that the "lines" are outgoing lines. I too am not as interested in outgoing calls and will rarely need Express Talk. The incoming calls are routed to 'extensions" - so you have one line, in that callcentric allows only one call out at a time, but you have a few extensions per line, because Callcentric allows a few - ( it may be two per line) calls to come in simultaneously. ( They don't state how many exactly in their support, because it depends on the plan you buy. I've got a toll free number, which entitles me to 2 "channels" per line. I can pay for more channels on the same line. If you look at your callcentric dashboard, you should see an option in "preferences' to "enable multiple calls".)

The IVM will provide voice mailboxes for those incoming calls, but axon routes them - that's why the two work together. Hope this helps. -Nancy

Close, but no cigar. Thanks for the reply but most of what I see in those are for Express Talk. I understand that the Express Talk has 6 lines and you can answer up to the 3 lines that CallCentric (CC) allows because all 6 lines are configured the same. My question is, how you do this in Axon. I only set up 1 external line with my CC number and therefore assume I can only receive one incoming call at a time. Do I set up 3 external lines or will this cause a conflict at CC: or if I set up one external line will Axon see a second call coming from CC and pass it to another extension in the group? I also assume that this would be the same configuration for the IVM without Axon as it also uses the same basic incoming line scheme. In most of my applications I will only need the IVM as a stand alone running 15 to 20 SIP lines and not use Axon. Hope this clears things up. (laughing to myself)

Don

My understanding is that the "lines" are outgoing lines. I too am not as interested in outgoing calls and will rarely need Express Talk. The incoming calls are routed to 'extensions" - so you have one line, in that callcentric allows only one call out at a time, but you have a few extensions per line, because Callcentric allows a few - ( it may be two per line) calls to come in simultaneously. ( They don't state how many exactly in their support, because it depends on the plan you buy. I've got a toll free number, which entitles me to 2 "channels" per line. I can pay for more channels on the same line. If you look at your callcentric dashboard, you should see an option in "preferences' to "enable multiple calls".)

The IVM will provide voice mailboxes for those incoming calls, but axon routes them - that's why the two work together. Hope this helps. -Nancy

But my question is: If I have received a call on the CC External line I have designated in Axon, that port is busy. Now I receive another call. How does Axon know?

Don

OK, Here's my best shot at that. Axon knows because the new packets have different source info in the packet headers. Callcentric issues the data with different identifiers, and axon sends them to different extensions. That's why you need the extensions, so the incoming call data can be routed to different locations, despite the fact that you have one line.

(If someone more knowledgeable than me is rolling their eyes right now at my rudimentary grasp of this, please feel free to correct me!)

So I guess what you are saying is that once the call has been directed to an extension, the Axon line is available again for another call. I'll buy that. Seems that someone would have done this and know the answer for sure. BTW: I did find that the IVM handles it different. You set up 1 number for however many cahnnels you want. Real simple and understandable.

Thanx Nancy

Don

I am using nexvortex, unlimited concurrent incoming calls, on one or many numbers. I use one incoming number. That number is setup as an externel line in axon, you only need to setup one line. Then you setup the extension to send the call, the extension then handles the call flow. I send the call to IVR, then loop thru a call que for the next available ext. the ivr is setup to handle 20 incoming calls which is about 50 percent higher than my peak volume. If you are not using IVR then you could send the call to a group in axon and manage the call that way or IVM. Axon will keep sending calls to that extension and it is the extensions job to handle them (what ever the extension maybe- IVR, IVM, Phone or to an group). When setting up the extension you mayhave to set the User ID as the incoming DID and then on the advance page setup for that extension ... "Use a different User Name just for authentication" then enter your username. Think of incoming as calls not lines. To make it simple 1 incoming DID = unlimted incoming calls (depending on provide of course). hope this helps.

I am using nexvortex, unlimited concurrent incoming calls, on one or many numbers. I use one incoming number. That number is setup as an externel line in axon, you only need to setup one line. Then you setup the extension to send the call, the extension then handles the call flow. I send the call to IVR, then loop thru a call que for the next available ext. the ivr is setup to handle 20 incoming calls which is about 50 percent higher than my peak volume. If you are not using IVR then you could send the call to a group in axon and manage the call that way or IVM. Axon will keep sending calls to that extension and it is the extensions job to handle them (what ever the extension maybe- IVR, IVM, Phone or to an group). When setting up the extension you mayhave to set the User ID as the incoming DID and then on the advance page setup for that extension ... "Use a different User Name just for authentication" then enter your username. Think of incoming as calls not lines. To make it simple 1 incoming DID = unlimted incoming calls (depending on provide of course). hope this helps.

Just to clarify:

1) Your VoIP provider will limit the number of concurrent/simultaneous calls you can have at any given time. Some providers are very strict and only offer 1. Many offer 2 channels (read as "lines") so that you can have call waiting (but technically you can use the two channels to answer both calls on 2 different phones and talk at the same time), others offer many more channels but usually at a greater cost (e.g. CallCentric I believe offers 2 or 3 channels by default, but additional channels can be purchased (at a high per channel cost monthly rate). Note that even providers that claim "unlimited" channels will often limit to 50 or something just to be on the safe side and to ensure their server doesn't get overloaded by any account holder.

2) Axon does not limit the number of incoming calls. Just because you only set-up one "External Line" in Axon does not mean it is only set-up to take one call, it can take as many as supported by your VoIP provider (see 1). The next call that comes in is processed just like the previous ones and if it isn't answered can be forwarded to your voice mail.

3) IVM is limited to the number of calls it can take (this is limited by your IVM license, then by your VoIP provider, and finally the number of simultaneous calls you allow in the settings for each telephony device or VoIP account you set-up with IVM).

• 1 year later...
Just to clarify:

1) Your VoIP provider will limit the number of concurrent/simultaneous calls you can have at any given time. Some providers are very strict and only offer 1. Many offer 2 channels (read as "lines") so that you can have call waiting (but technically you can use the two channels to answer both calls on 2 different phones and talk at the same time), others offer many more channels but usually at a greater cost (e.g. CallCentric I believe offers 2 or 3 channels by default, but additional channels can be purchased (at a high per channel cost monthly rate). Note that even providers that claim "unlimited" channels will often limit to 50 or something just to be on the safe side and to ensure their server doesn't get overloaded by any account holder.

2) Axon does not limit the number of incoming calls. Just because you only set-up one "External Line" in Axon does not mean it is only set-up to take one call, it can take as many as supported by your VoIP provider (see 1). The next call that comes in is processed just like the previous ones and if it isn't answered can be forwarded to your voice mail.

3) IVM is limited to the number of calls it can take (this is limited by your IVM license, then by your VoIP provider, and finally the number of simultaneous calls you allow in the settings for each telephony device or VoIP account you set-up with IVM).

Hi pythonpoole,

As you seem to be the man who has all the answers I just wanted to run what I want to achieve past you, although from the various posts I have read it I think I'm on the right track.

What I want to achieve is to be able to send automated pre-recorded messages going out at pre-defined times separately and simultaneously. So I'm thinking that I need to use IVM Answering Attendant in conjunction with Axon, to allow me to make the unlimited simultaneous calls, and then obtain a SIP provider who can give me up to 90 SIP trunks - I am thinking VoIPtalk for this?

Please could please just confirm my thinking is sound?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Justin