stun server and Nat router

nanbarnes

I have newly set up this system, and I've made a few test calls, but today I'm getting an error message, "Unable to detect public IP" .There may be a simple answer, because Axon did register with my voip provider for a fer minutes, then I got "stun server failed messages".

So perhaps these stun servers will be restored. Can I substitute other stun servers instead to work around this?

My fear is that this is a NAT router issue. When I run the network setup wizard in axon, I get a warning that I will have a poor connection because I'm behind a symmetric NAT router. For my few test calls, it didn't seem to be a problem, but if the stun servers don't work and I can't use uPNP, I guess I need to explore this.

I have a DLink DI-724GU router, and I've opened the ports for axon: UDP 5060, 5070,8000-8020, 3478 for the stun servers, and 16384-16482 for my IP phone. I thought the router would be a good buy because it has QoS to prioritize voip packets, so it's designed to work with SIP trunks, right?

I've read a little about port forwarding and creating a static IP address, but I don't know whether to explore those configurations. Is this what I need to do to have an "always on" registration with my sip provider?

Thanks for your help!

I have newly set up this system, and I've made a few test calls, but today I'm getting an error message, "Unable to detect public IP" .There may be a simple answer, because Axon did register with my voip provider for a fer minutes, then I got "stun server failed messages".

So perhaps these stun servers will be restored. Can I substitute other stun servers instead to work around this?

My fear is that this is a NAT router issue. When I run the network setup wizard in axon, I get a warning that I will have a poor connection because I'm behind a symmetric NAT router. For my few test calls, it didn't seem to be a problem, but if the stun servers don't work and I can't use uPNP, I guess I need to explore this.

I have a DLink DI-724GU router, and I've opened the ports for axon: UDP 5060, 5070,8000-8020, 3478 for the stun servers, and 16384-16482 for my IP phone. I thought the router would be a good buy because it has QoS to prioritize voip packets, so it's designed to work with SIP trunks, right?

I've read a little about port forwarding and creating a static IP address, but I don't know whether to explore those configurations. Is this what I need to do to have an "always on" registration with my sip provider?

Thanks for your help!

I used to get the the "unable to detect public IP" message also but I opened all ports from 5000 to 6000 and 8000 to 8020 and I don't have that anymore. The stun servers don't report back once in a while and I get an error but they do register eventually and it always works fine.

Don

Basically the Stun servers are just set-up so VoIP phones/softphones can retrieve the IP address of the computer/device they're running from and what ports might be available for making connections.

These are some other stun servers, no one server provides and real benefit over the other unless 1 is closer to you in which case it may provide quicker data transfer rates.

# stun.ekiga.net

# stun.fwdnet.net

# stun.ideasip.com

# stun01.sipphone.com

# stun.softjoys.com

# stun.voipbuster.com

# stun.voxgratia.org

# stun.xten.com

As noted above, opening the ports used by VoIP will help heaps in terms of allowing a connection the server and also in improving voice quality during calls much like how opening specific ports enables much faster downloads on peer to peer networks.

• 2 months later...

Pythonpoole,

I am a novice at this networking/STUN server stuff and since you are very knowledgable, I was wondering if you can help me with a very unique request. It would be a HUGE help to me and thousands of others.

Please read thru this, and let me know if there is anyway I can make this work. Thank you very much.

I have this device called "Ojo Phone". See http://www.ojophone.com Its a VIDEO PHONE and was one of the best in the market, and it uses broadband internet service to connect to another OJO.

In the last week or so though, the parent company "Worldgate" has shut down its operations due to bankruptcy, and hundreds of people like me are unable to use their OJO Phones which cost $300.

When I first setup this OJO phone, the people at the company took my credit card info, and they bill $10 every month for a "service". Currently, that service is down. Theoretically, I am wondering if 2 OJOs can talk without their "service".

Right now, when I try to dial, the OJO says "NO RESPONSE FROM STUN SERVER". The OJO phone has a "advanced" setup screen where I can pick different things for something called "NAT TRAVERSAL". I can also pick some SIP PORT, and ports to open etc.

Other than that, I don't know anything else. Its an excellent device, and the clarity is phenomenal and much better than any video conferencing I have ever seen. However, I feel OJO setup the service in such a way that you have to go thru their server to get connected to another party, and for that, they charge $10/month. I don't mind paying the money but the company shut its operations down, and I am trying to see if there is ANY way out.

If you happen to know, pls email me at naveen.vedula@gmail.com

Thank you!!!

Basically the Stun servers are just set-up so VoIP phones/softphones can retrieve the IP address of the computer/device they're running from and what ports might be available for making connections.

These are some other stun servers, no one server provides and real benefit over the other unless 1 is closer to you in which case it may provide quicker data transfer rates.

# stun.ekiga.net

# stun.fwdnet.net

# stun.ideasip.com

# stun01.sipphone.com

# stun.softjoys.com

# stun.voipbuster.com

# stun.voxgratia.org

# stun.xten.com

As noted above, opening the ports used by VoIP will help heaps in terms of allowing a connection the server and also in improving voice quality during calls much like how opening specific ports enables much faster downloads on peer to peer networks.

nv96240, I'm sorry to report that I cannot find any way in which to configure this device (the Ojo phone) to work without the Ojo server/network operational. Technically there is nothing preventing the phone from not being compatible, it uses the same SIP protocol as most VoIP services out there, including NCH's products. However Ojo has intentionally built the phone to be locked to their service.

After some research, I discovered that the engineering team of Worldgate was working on a way to allow customers to connect Ojo phones directly / with other VoIP services. Since the company has shutdown this project has been abandoned and it is unlikely the software enabling this functionality will be publicly available.

Worldgate is run by Hal Krisbergh, and (assuming my research is accurate) you can contact him at +1 (215) 885-5855 (home number). It is likely he will be unwilling to talk to or help you based on what I've read about their poor company attitude and reputation.