configure extensions to softphone and Ip phone

nanbarnes

I'm hoping you can advise a struggling newbie, especially as I'm not used to any pbx routing before this, so the axon config settings for the phones has stumped me.

I downloaded Express talk and axon, and purchased a linksys SPA942. I have a callcentric trunk, with an 800# DID. I need to have the 800# route sales calls to the IP phone, and the rest of the calls to multiple extensions on the softphone, where I'll just record messages on voicemail.

Callcentric said I had both the express talk and axon registering, causing a conflict. So I've got to change the ExpressTalk settings so that it doesn't call out to callcentric, and only communicates with axon. How?

And the SPA942 gives me a "registration failed" error. But who is it failing with? Axon, or callcentric?

I have the IP phone hooked up to the same PC that has axon on it, and also cabled to the router. My PC created a LAN for the IP phone - is that the way it's supposed to be? Or does that mean the phone won't be controlled by axon?

It seems that none of the extension setup info in the axon web panel matches the setup info on the SPA942 web panel, (and the Linksys administrator's manual is way, way over my head) so I guess I'm filling in the config boxes wrong.

If there's anyone out there who can make sense of my questions and guide me through this setup, I'd be really grateful for your help!

Typically the PBX setup is as follows:

You create an external line in Axon for each SIP VoIP account you want to use for incoming/outgoing calls on your phone network.

You then create an individual extension in Axon for each softphone (such as Express Talk) or SIP phone/hardware (such as the SPA942). These extensions act as new SIP accounts that can share the same original VoIP account from Call Centric. This is done through Axon which acts almost like your own private VoIP provider, you can think of each extension on Axon as a new Call Centric account, when in fact they are all sharing and have access to only 1 account.

The next step is to setup a Dialing Plan that will suit your needs, for example you can create a new Dialing Plan with a rule that says any call that starts with the number "9" should be called on the Call Centric phone line, but without actually dialing the 9. This is the kind of set-up they have in most offices/hotels where you dial a number to get the outside line and you can call internal extensions by simply dialing the extension number. You could also do the reverse for example where all calls are routed through to call centric unless they start with 9, and in that case call internal extensions instead.

Also for the SPA942, if it's anything like Linksys' other VoIP products (which I may add aren't exactly user friendly), form fields labeled 'proxy' are equivalent to the server address (internal IP address of your Axon computer), SIP number is the Display Name / Caller-ID, Username is the extension name in Axon, password is the password for the extension.

If you need further clarification or instructions, just let me know.

Thanks, this is super helpful. I'll get started with creating the extensions. Currently, I have one softphone, and it has 6 lines. But can I only use one of those lines if it's an extension for incoming calls? So then I'd need to download multiple copies of the Express Talk softphone?

Typically the PBX setup is as follows:

You create an external line in Axon for each SIP VoIP account you want to use for incoming/outgoing calls on your phone network.

You then create an individual extension in Axon for each softphone (such as Express Talk) or SIP phone/hardware (such as the SPA942). These extensions act as new SIP accounts that can share the same original VoIP account from Call Centric. This is done through Axon which acts almost like your own private VoIP provider, you can think of each extension on Axon as a new Call Centric account, when in fact they are all sharing and have access to only 1 account.

The next step is to setup a Dialing Plan that will suit your needs, for example you can create a new Dialing Plan with a rule that says any call that starts with the number "9" should be called on the Call Centric phone line, but without actually dialing the 9. This is the kind of set-up they have in most offices/hotels where you dial a number to get the outside line and you can call internal extensions by simply dialing the extension number. You could also do the reverse for example where all calls are routed through to call centric unless they start with 9, and in that case call internal extensions instead.

Also for the SPA942, if it's anything like Linksys' other VoIP products (which I may add aren't exactly user friendly), form fields labeled 'proxy' are equivalent to the server address (internal IP address of your Axon computer), SIP number is the Display Name / Caller-ID, Username is the extension name in Axon, password is the password for the extension.

If you need further clarification or instructions, just let me know.

Express Talk can support up to 6 lines at a time, this means that you could have for example 3 incoming calls on your Call Centric phone line at the same time and Express Talk would show and indicate the 3 incoming calls on line 1, 2 and 3 (you can think of them as virtual lines). At the same time, you could then phone out on another available 'line' (e.g. by clicking the line 4 button) and even have a conversation with another phone connected to your Axon PBX on another 'line' (e.g. Line 5). All you have to do is click the line you want to talk on (if it is not in use, you'll get a dial tone for dialing out) and the rest of the active lines will be put on hold until you click back to them.

Note that CallCentric does limit the number of simultaneous incoming/outgoing calls you can have going at the same time, but calls between your Axon extensions are not limited. So for example you could have a softphone on your computer, and SIP phone in another room, and your SPA942 in another room again and they could all call each other internally at no cost as if they were on separate lines, yet could all still call out and receive calls from the Call Centric line.

Also, another neat feature is that if for example an incoming call comes in and you answer it on the Softphone and then another incoming call comes in after that, not only will the Softphone indicate there is another incoming call, but your other VoIP phones/devices will also ring and can be picked up to answer the second call. Also, someone else could make a call on another VoIP phone on your Axon PBX system without interfering with your or someone else's call.

Excellent. I got the SPA942 and Expresstalk working per your instructions. I'm setting up the express talk with IVM next, and so I can get simultaneous voice mails that way, on the one softphone.

My problem is that all the discussions about pbx setups assume lots of calls out, or talk between extensions. I'm generating few calls out, but I'm going to receive lots of people calling in to leave voicemail. If I expand beyond the 6 lines the one softphone allows, can I install multiple copies of Express Talk? How do I configure the many voicemail boxes axon allows (assuming I buy more lines from callcentric).

PS - It's wonderful to have someone knowledgeable to ask. You're really good at "laymen's terms. Thank you!

The number of lines in Express Talk is just an indication of the maximum number of calls that particular softphone can answer and have active calls with at any given time. It does not affect how many calls can be received and sent to your voice mail system in IVM (this is completely separate). IVM can answer 64 calls at any given moment.

Just three things to point out:

1) IVM should be set-up with an extension in Axon, not set-up with Express Talk.

In Axon you can set-up Voice Mail in your softphone's extension settings, and under the voice mail settings you can select the IVM extension to answer the call (when there is no answer on your actual phones).

2) Your VoIP provider will limit the number of calls that can come in at a time. Just because IVM can handle 64 calls at a time and Axon isn't theoretically limited by any number of calls doesn't mean you can accept that number of calls.

i.e. CallCentric will limit the number of simultaneous incoming calls to most likely 2 channels (simultaneous calls) at a time. I believe CallCentric allows you to purchase additional channels (kind of like virtual lines to accept more calls) for a fee, but I think it is almost or as expensive as paying for a whole new phone number with them.. so it is up to you.

3) The speed of (or bandwidth available on) your internet connection also plays a big factor in how many simultaneous calls you can send out (or receive) at a given moment. For example on a high quality codec, your highspeed Internet connection may only be able to support 4 calls at a time. So if you plan on several incoming calls at a time, it may be a good idea to invest in a good quality higher speed/bandwidth connection if possible.

• 1 year later...

The next footfall is to bureaucracy a Dialing Plan that will clothing your needs, for archetype you can actualize a new Dialing Plan with a aphorism that says any alarm that starts with the amount "9" should be alleged on the Alarm Axial buzz line, but after in fact dialing the 9. This is the affectionate of start-up they accept in a lot of offices/hotels area you punch a amount to get the alfresco band and you can alarm centralized extensions by artlessly dialing the addendum number. You could aswell do the about-face for archetype area all calls are baffled through to alarm axial unless they alpha with 9, and in that case alarm centralized extensions instead.

Also for the SPA942, if it's annihilation like Linksys' added VoIP articles (which I may add aren't absolutely user friendly), anatomy fields labeled 'proxy' are agnate to the server abode (internal IP abode of your Axon computer), SIP amount is the Display Name / Caller-ID, Username is the addendum name in Axon, countersign is the countersign for the extension.

Call Center Software