Can't Save MP3 File!

Guest M Anspacher

Guest M Anspacher

It appears that the downloaded version of WavePad Free Edition does NOT include the ability to save an edited MP3 file. I was frantically trying to complete a project at a site without any internet access - after editing an MP3 file, I attempted to save it, but received a message that I would need to DOWNLOAD a file before I could save the edited file. Needless to say, I was SCREWED!!!

Now I am searching the NCH.com web site, in vain, for the file to download so that I can include it with the original download file. Unfortunately, the file does not seem to exist.

I guess you get what you pay for, huh???

It appears that the downloaded version of WavePad Free Edition does NOT include the ability to save an edited MP3 file.  I was frantically trying to complete a project at a site without any internet access - after editing an MP3 file, I attempted to save it, but received a message that I would need to DOWNLOAD a file before I could save the edited file.  Needless to say, I was SCREWED!!!

Now I am searching the NCH.com web site, in vain, for the file to download so that I can include it with the original download file.  Unfortunately, the file does not seem to exist.

I'm having the same problem and I paid for the Master Edition. Problem is I've saved hundreds of .mp3 files in the past but today it just says it can't open the file for saving. What gives???

I even uninstalled and reinstalled 1.11 but I get the same thing.

JT Duxbury

It appears that the downloaded version of WavePad Free Edition does NOT include the ability to save an edited MP3 file.  I was frantically trying to complete a project at a site without any internet access - after editing an MP3 file, I attempted to save it, but received a message that I would need to DOWNLOAD a file before I could save the edited file.  Needless to say, I was SCREWED!!!

Now I am searching the NCH.com web site, in vain, for the file to download so that I can include it with the original download file.  Unfortunately, the file does not seem to exist.

To save an mp3 file, you need to install our mp3 encoder. This component can be downloaded from our website at http://www.nch.com.au/components/mp3el.exe. After download the exe file, you need to double click the file to install it.

I'm having the same problem and I paid for the Master Edition. Problem is I've saved hundreds of .mp3 files in the past but today it just says it can't open the file for saving. What gives???

I even uninstalled and reinstalled 1.11 but I get the same thing.

JT Duxbury

What error message does it display? You may try to install the mp3 encoder component again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest eric

To save an mp3 file, you need to install our mp3 encoder. This component can be downloaded from our website at http://www.nch.com.au/components/mp3el.exe.

After download the exe file, you need to double click the file to install it.

I used to have the same problems as described on this page (used to be able to save MP3-files but lately couldn't for some reason).

I tried uninstalling/installing WP a couple of times, but to no avail.

A couple of minutes ago I found this page, and downloaded the mp3el.exe-file mentioned above.

Now WP works like a charm again.

Thank you!

Eric

Apeldoorn

Netherlands

One question remains though: why is this (apperantly essential) file not automatically included in the setup?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Janice

I did pay and I still cannot save. I am having a heck of a time and I really need to get something out tonight. Can ANYONE help me??? I am just trying to save a .wav file that has been edited on Windows XP.

~ janice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...

After reading this page and three others of folks experiencing the same problem as me I eventually found something that worked. 

Find the file where you have saved 'mp3el' from your NCH components on your computer and save this link (you need to have NCH Switch installed and registered first):

Open Wavepad, click options, Audio tab, use this specified folder:    here paste the link to the mp3el file.

You will have to close Wavepad but when you open it again it should work.

Hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

I just bought WavePad Masters Edition and found it impossible to save work as an MP3.

Tried everything in your "Can't Save MP3 File!" msgs in your online forum.

What's up, NCH ?  

Too bad - some parts of WavePad are great & with modification could be a hit in the audiobook/spoken word production market.  Pity!

Robert Rowen
Director of Operations and Programs
The New York Military Affairs Symposium
On the web at http://nymas.org
Email to rrowen@nymas.org
Phone: 718-834-1414
Cell:  347-513-9578
Fax: 718-709-8670

NYMAS is devoted to increasing public
knowledge, awareness, and understanding
of the interrelationship of war, society, and
culture through the presentation and
dissemination of diverse scholarly viewpoints.

• 5 months later...
On 7/3/2005 at 6:24 AM, Guest eric said:

To save an mp3 file, you need to install our mp3 encoder. This component can be downloaded from our website at http://www.nch.com.au/components/mp3el.exe.

After download the exe file, you need to double click the file to install it.

I used to have the same problems as described on this page (used to be able to save MP3-files but lately couldn't for some reason).

I tried uninstalling/installing WP a couple of times, but to no avail.

A couple of minutes ago I found this page, and downloaded the mp3el.exe-file mentioned above.

Now WP works like a charm again.

Thank you!

Eric

Apeldoorn

Netherlands

One question remains though: why is this (apperantly essential) file not automatically included in the setup?

I have this problem too. This is for PC,  Is there also a MAC Mp3 encoder?

Hi, I have the same problem on iPad. I saved several mp3 files (last week and this morning) but now it doesn’t save anymore. It proposes to upgrade to a commercial version but as I see from this forum it’s not a guarantee either. Could you help me please?

(I am a teacher preparing an online course during a lockdown, normally I wouldn’t use this program too long!)

What occurs when you try to save as mp3? Are you getting any error message? If the program is asking to upgrade to a commercial version, perhaps, the settings you have used for those mp3 files are not available for your current version, so you may need to upgrade to be able to use them. I would suggest to upgrade and test again. In case you still have issues, you can always request a refund.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here. Saved 100s of mp3s in the past. Now when trying to save it shows the progress bar, makes no progress and exits the save routine leaving the unsaved file on screen. Can save as wav etc with no issues. Upgraded to latest version and no joy. 

37 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

Same issue here. Saved 100s of mp3s in the past. Now when trying to save it shows the progress bar, makes no progress and exits the save routine leaving the unsaved file on screen. Can save as wav etc with no issues. Upgraded to latest version and no joy. 

As a work around NCH have software called Switch which is a file converter. If like me you can save as wav files this is a work around even if more time consuming! 

I have had a similar issue with Wavepad for about five years. 

I have the free version, which doesn't include all the features but allows me to do what I need to do.

Every once in a while- with NO predictable time frame- it will stop saving files and tell me I need to upgrade.   I'll then delete and try to download again.  Sometimes the new downloaded version will work for months, other times it won't work a day. 

I don't expect to have all the features on the free version, but I'm assuming based on what I'm reading in this thread, you SHOULD be able to at least save files in the free version?

Any help would be appreciated- in both solving the problem, and if anyone else here has had a similar experience, that being wavepad stopping working at very non-predictable intervals.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

For Pc 

Let's try doing a clean install and delete all the cache of the program. Uninstall your software first, then go to the folder location below on your computer then delete the WavePad folders:

C:\ProgramData\NCH Software
C:\Users\(Your computer profile)\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\WavePad

If you can't find the AppData folder, set Windows to show hidden files and folders with the steps from this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files.

After deleting the WavePad folder, restart your computer then install it again from the next link: https://www.nch.com.au/components/wpsetup.exe

For Mac

Remove the folder for the applications folder, then restart your machine after this reinstall again the programa:  https://www.nch.com.au/components/wavepadmaci.zip

I am using the free version and am finding it impossible to save anything to MP3 or any other format. When I click on "Save as" I only get the .wpp option.  This is more than frustrating. Whats the point of the free version.  I want to do a simple PPT for a friend's birthday and nch's WavePad is proving to be appalling non-user friendly.