Express Scribe Mac Archives

Guest nchsh

Guest nchsh

If you have any Mac specific problems please post them in the Mac forum (note this topic is now IN the Mac forum - 05-13-2010)

- Simon

• 1 month later...
If you have any Mac specific problems please post them in the Mac forum

-  Simon

ONe of my docs has a MAC computer and complains that the same options are not available (for Express Dictate) as the Windows mode. He finds it hard to record as a lot of mikes make the MAC crash. There are not as many recording quality options either.

• 2 months later...
Guest Lawrence

I have some mp3 files that I would lke to transcribe with Express Scribe. But they just show up greyed out when i try to load them.

How can I load them?

I am on 10.2.8 iMac flat panel

Lawrence

• 3 weeks later...

I have some mp3 files that I would lke to transcribe with Express Scribe. But they just show up greyed out when i try to load them.

How can I load them?

Lawrence

I have the same problem! Suggestions for redeeming this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jens

How can I load them?

Lawrence

Guest Ruth Elkin
That seems to be my problem too.

Anyone???  Helloooo...

Kristen and the others having this problem,

I think the solution is to make a folder for your files (if you haven't already) and load the folder, not the individual files. Once you load the folder, your individual files show up in Express Scribe as though you'd loaded them individually.

I have a different problem and am also a newbie. Please look for my next post on playing aiff files.

-Ruth

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure if what you're all facing is the same thing or not. I am an new MAC convert so to speak so I'm learning as I go. I used the express scribe fine on my PC, but can't seem to get the files to load on my MAC laptop.

I transcribe audio CD's and I loaded my CD in my laptop. The files then were loaded into i-tunes. I opened my express scribe and clicked "load". I browsed to find the file I wanted to load, clicked it; it went into the file folders section. I clicked load at the bottom right. Then it took me to the main page and the files never load?

I've gone through the manual and can't seem to figure this out. Any suggestions. Ir eally liked the simplicity of this program and I'm glad I haven't ordered the headset and pedal yet. I'll have to wait until I can figure this out for MAC. Please help me troubleshoot this. I'm a green MAC user at present.

Michelle

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't think that this is very well documented for the Mac and may be a source of a number of peoples file opening problems.

On first use by any user Express Scribe creates a directory in your apple Shared area of the filesystem (/Users/Shared/Scribe). This directory contains three additional directories Done, Status and Current and will contain a number of other files associated with preferences and configuration of the application. If you're the administrator of your mac or there's only one user on your system then you probably won't run into some of the issues that have been discussed in these forums. But if you're a user of the Mac and the administrator has installed the application for you then it's possible that you won't have the correct file permissions to read or write to the Shared directory. For example, my partner, who I'd installed the application for, couldn't open files in Express Scribe at all.

There's two possible solutions to this. First and simplest, if you're the only user that will be using Express Scribe on your machine then make sure that before you use the application that the /Users/Shared/Scribe directory is removed (you may need admin permissions to do this, if the directory was created by that user already!). Just drag the directory to the trash and a dialog will appear asking for authentification if you're not the owner. Be warned that this will remove any work previously in the directory and any preferences. Once deleted you can start Express Scribe, and this shared directory will be automatically re-created. Since you're now the creator of the directory you shouldn't run into any permissions issues. If the directory isn't re-created then you probably don't have write or create permissions on the Shared directory or perhaps it has been removed from your system for some reason.

An alternate approach, which means nothing gets deleted and preferences are preserved, is to get whoever first created the /Users/Shared/Scribe directory to grant read and write permisions on this directory and all sub directories in it. You can do this in the Finder by doing a "Get Info" from the Finder menu having first selected the directory. Then go to Ownership -> Details and extend the permissions to Read & Write for both group and others. You could also take ownership of the directory if you're the only user ever likely to need access. On my system (10.3.9) the shared directory is created by group "wheel" which is a bit strange. I don't know if this is a fault of the application of my system permissions and may actually be part of the problem.

Personally I don't see why Express Scribe uses /Users/Shared/Scribe at all for temporary and what are essentially user specific files. It should probably create this in the users own Documents directory, or since the contained information really doesn't need to be seen or accessed by the user directly the local users Library/Application Support directory. These approaches would allow multiple users on a machine to use Express Scribe independently.

cheers,

Tony.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a problem also, same thing. I tried all the suggestions above, but to no avail. I even copied a file from its location to the Current directory to see if it would show, but it didn't.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, v10.4.8. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-gene

I am having a problem also, same thing. I tried all the suggestions above, but to no avail. I even copied a file from its location to the Current directory to see if it would show, but it didn't.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, v10.4.8. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-gene

Can you see the /Users/Shared/Scribe directory and read and write to it? Try creating a file in the directory to test this. If the issue is a permissions problem (as mine was) then this may help you diagnose the issue.

You shouldn't put the files in any of the /Users/Shared/Scribe directories, ExpressScribe moves them there after they've been opened and also performs mp3 or other conversions to raw (wav, AIF I can't remember!) formats. The converted files appear in the Current directory.

One additional thing to check is that you've not run out of disk space. If there's not enough disk for ExpressScribe to perform the conversion then the files appear but won't open. I assume if your system is new then that's not an issue.

I've now had ExpressScribe running on both a 10.3 mac and also a 10.4.8 system like yours. I fixed the previous problem on 10.3 as I previously described. We've had no issue at all on 10.4.8. There is one difference with the 10.4.8 system in that I've enabled Access Control Lists (ACL) to allow sharing of an iPhoto library (as per http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...&lsrc=osxh). I have no idea if this might be related to your problem, but certainly the way that I've set it up would solve permissions issues for the application. Instead of just enabling ACL on the iPhoto share I did so on the complete /Users/Shared directory.

If you're hitting permissions issues then firstly you might try running Disk Utility and use the fix permissions option. Then try removing and re-creating the /Users/Shared/Scribe directory as I previously described again and then finally try using ACL.

cheers,

Tony.

Tony -

Thanks for ideas. Based on your comments, I fixed it. I changed the permissions on the /Users/Shared/Scribe directory to "777." (Pardon my probably arcane way of stating this, but I have a UNIX background.) That is probably what the iPhoto instructions said. That fixed it.

Thanks!

-gene

I have gotten a couple of private messages asking exactly how I fixed my problem, so I thought it might be useful to post them here. To recap, I have an iMac v10.4.8, Core 2 Duo (Intel). I was able to install Express Scribe, but could not load any voice files. I don't know if this will work on all OS X Macs, but I suspect it will.

First, my apologies for using old time UNIX commands. There may be an easier, more "Mac" way to do this.

1. Stop Express Scribe, if it is running. (Apple Command-Q)

2. Open a terminal window, from Applications, Utilities

3. When the command window opens, type "sudo -s" and hit return. Be very careful, you are now in the "supreme being" m and could do damage if you are not careful.

4. Type "cd /Users/Shared" an hit return.

5. Type "chmod 777 Scribe" and return.

6. You have now fixed the problem!

7. Type "exit", return and then close the terminal window. Apple Cmd-Q will do it.

I would love to have someone give me the "politically correct" Mac way of doing this.

-gene

• 2 weeks later...

I fallowed your instructions and it works (mac os x tiger). thank you! :D

Hi,

I don't think that this is very well documented for the Mac and may be a source of a number of peoples file opening problems.

On first use by any user Express Scribe creates a directory in your apple Shared area of the filesystem (/Users/Shared/Scribe). This directory contains three additional directories Done, Status and Current and will contain a number of other files associated with preferences and configuration of the application. If you're the administrator of your mac or there's only one user on your system then you probably won't run into some of the issues that have been discussed in these forums. But if you're a user of the Mac and the administrator has installed the application for you then it's possible that you won't have the correct file permissions to read or write to the Shared directory. For example, my partner, who I'd installed the application for, couldn't open files in Express Scribe at all.

There's two possible solutions to this. First and simplest, if you're the only user that will be using Express Scribe on your machine then make sure that before you use the application that the /Users/Shared/Scribe directory is removed (you may need admin permissions to do this, if the directory was created by that user already!). Just drag the directory to the trash and a dialog will appear asking for authentification if you're not the owner. Be warned that this will remove any work previously in the directory and any preferences. Once deleted you can start Express Scribe, and this shared directory will be automatically re-created. Since you're now the creator of the directory you shouldn't run into any permissions issues. If the directory isn't re-created then you probably don't have write or create permissions on the Shared directory or perhaps it has been removed from your system for some reason.

An alternate approach, which means nothing gets deleted and preferences are preserved, is to get whoever first created the /Users/Shared/Scribe directory to grant read and write permisions on this directory and all sub directories in it. You can do this in the Finder by doing a "Get Info" from the Finder menu having first selected the directory. Then go to Ownership -> Details and extend the permissions to Read & Write for both group and others. You could also take ownership of the directory if you're the only user ever likely to need access. On my system (10.3.9) the shared directory is created by group "wheel" which is a bit strange. I don't know if this is a fault of the application of my system permissions and may actually be part of the problem.

Personally I don't see why Express Scribe uses /Users/Shared/Scribe at all for temporary and what are essentially user specific files. It should probably create this in the users own Documents directory, or since the contained information really doesn't need to be seen or accessed by the user directly the local users Library/Application Support directory. These approaches would allow multiple users on a machine to use Express Scribe independently.

cheers,

Tony.

• 2 months later...

I was unable to load sound files into Express Scribe until I found this handy tip here in the forum. Where it says "Browse Folders" it wants you to select a folder that contains the sound files you want to load. If you select a folder, all the sound files inside will be available to load. :)

• 6 months later...

Hi I am totally new to transcribing digital files. I was told by an employer that Express Scribe is one of the best so I downloaded it and attempted to load a digital file from a portal they set up for me through the software but I am unable to play it, etc. Could anyone give me suggestions on how to do this. I have an IMac running Mac OS X version 10.4.10.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I have a Mac problem. Here are my symptoms:

Express Scribe loads without any problems. I browse to a folder, get a list of files. Click on a supported filetype. No matter what kind of file I pick, I cannot get the file to *play*.

I have tried mp3, wav, aiff, aif.

I am able to write in the text box below the file window, and to scrub the audio playhead (this updates the timecode in the menubar and in the application). I can also scrub the speed scrollbar, but it doesn't help anything.

When I click play, the play button goes gray (seems like this is the selected state). It stays gray, but the playhead does not advance. No sound comes out obviously. Same trouble when I use keyboard shortcuts (e.g., the speed scroller scrolls to 50% but no playing of sound happens).

I am running Express Scribe 4.05 on Mac OS X version 10.4.10.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

I too am having trouble uploading wma files into express scribe. i have the 10.4.10 ibook and an imac. it works on my imac but is not working for whatever reason on my ibook. can you help? i have tried three different methods of importing including drag and dropping the file directly, loading via express scribes browse window and selecting the file in finder and choosing express scribe under the Open With command. I don't understand why it works on one computer and not the other. the file is also sometimes showing up but doesn't have any 'information' ie. the duration is always zero.

please help.

tricia

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest to both of the previous posts tryint this information out first. I know it worked for me, all you have to do is read the info that has already been figured out ;)

Hi,

cheers,

Tony.

• 3 weeks later...
Kristen and the others having this problem,

I think the solution is to make a folder for your files (if you haven't already) and load the folder, not the individual files. Once you load the folder, your individual files show up in Express Scribe as though you'd loaded them individually.

I have a different problem and am also a newbie. Please look for my next post on playing aiff files.

-Ruth

Yes, once you make the folder and just press load when the folder is highlighted, you then can highlight the individual files in Express Scribe and click on load again and all the files will load. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if it is me being new to the whole macbook scene and being stupid or what but i've tried following the various instructions above, and on all the other posts of people having the same issue and still I am failing to get anything playing in Express Scribe.

I have ES version 4.05 and a OS X 10.5.1

I did once managed to get files playing if i downloaded them onto my ES on the Windows XP OS and then when i booted back in mac mode i could trace them in the windows NCH file on that OS and get them to play in. but now i can't even get ES on windows to load files, despite trying the 4.15 version (but thats a whole different story).

Obviously it is far more easier to have ES working on the Mac OS but i can't manage that.

Any ideas possibly?

Cheers, Kat

• 1 month later...

I have just upgraded to OS 10.5 on my MacBook and now am unable to dictate into Express Dictate-the version is 4.04. Interestingly, the interface loads, but whether using my external mic or the internal mic, I see no activity in the status bar. I have gone on line and downloaded the latest version for mac. Also, when I have loaded a folder, which it will also do on the interface, if I shut the program down with the folder still in the view box, when I reload the program, the folder is no longer present. I have found no info that states that the version in not 10.5 compatible. I am a registered user but have not purchased the support, and I have not gotten any response to my inquires that I posted with NCH almost 2 weeks ago. Anybody else having probs on OS 10.5. I hope this is not a compatibility issue! I use this program daily in my practice am at a significant loss without it. Hurt'in in Kansas!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Tiger.

If things like the Load button and Preferences Window are not coming up then you have a permissions problem.

Open your harddrive Icon and go to the Users Folder.

Then open the Shared Folder in there, you will find a folder named Scribe.

Get Info on the Scribe Folder folder and open the Ownership & Permissions > Details section

From the Others Popup Menu select Read and Write

Then Click the "Apply to enclosed items..." Button

Enter your Password

Now your Express Scribe should work as expected.

• 1 month later...
I have a Mac problem. Here are my symptoms:

Express Scribe loads without any problems. I browse to a folder, get a list of files. Click on a supported filetype. No matter what kind of file I pick, I cannot get the file to *play*.

I have tried mp3, wav, aiff, aif.

I am able to write in the text box below the file window, and to scrub the audio playhead (this updates the timecode in the menubar and in the application). I can also scrub the speed scrollbar, but it doesn't help anything.

When I click play, the play button goes gray (seems like this is the selected state). It stays gray, but the playhead does not advance. No sound comes out obviously. Same trouble when I use keyboard shortcuts (e.g., the speed scroller scrolls to 50% but no playing of sound happens).

I am running Express Scribe 4.05 on Mac OS X version 10.4.10.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Zpouseman,

I think I have your smae problem. I am also using 10.4 (on a G4 eMac). I just got a reply back from NCH Support referring me to the following web site: http://nch.com.au/components/mac It's a plug-in called flip4mac.

I downloaded, installed and then dragged the WMA right into the ExpressScribe box. And it worked! I hope this'll work for you.

Fred Jacobowitz

I'm not sure if it is me being new to the whole macbook scene and being stupid or what but i've tried following the various instructions above, and on all the other posts of people having the same issue and still I am failing to get anything playing in Express Scribe.

I have ES version 4.05 and a OS X 10.5.1

I did once managed to get files playing if i downloaded them onto my ES on the Windows XP OS and then when i booted back in mac mode i could trace them in the windows NCH file on that OS and get them to play in. but now i can't even get ES on windows to load files, despite trying the 4.15 version (but thats a whole different story).

Obviously it is far more easier to have ES working on the Mac OS but i can't manage that.

Any ideas possibly?

Cheers, Kat

Kat,

I have a similar problem. See if this works for you: I am using 10.4 (on a G4 eMac). I just got a reply back from NCH Support referring me to the following web site: http://nch.com.au/components/mac It's a plug-in called flip4mac.

I downloaded, installed and then dragged the WMA right into the ExpressScribe box. And it worked! I hope this'll work for you.