Express Scribe 4.02 Won't Load Files

Wild Boar

I've been successfully using Express Scribe for a couple of years on one computer and am now in need of setting it up on my laptop, as I'll be dislocated from my home office for several days beginning tomorrow.

I downloaded the newest version onto my laptop, had problems with it and then read that others suggested using 4.02 instead, so I removed the new program and downloaded 4.02. The program seems to have installed fine. HOWEVER, I can't get it to load any files! I have put some dictation files into a folder which I can select from the "load dictation files" command. I can see the files listed in the window and I can select them, but when I click "load," nothing happens. The files do not appear in the EScribe window.

I have all the file types checked in the list box for those, so that shouldn't be the problem.

At one point when I was trying different things I managed to get one (but only one) file to appear in the EScribe window as though it had loaded, but the duration of the file was shown as 0:00, and when I tried to play it I got nothing. The file did definitely contain dictation.

Does anyone have any ideas of why this would be happening or, more importantly, how I can get the program to load properly? I'm a bit desperate, having spent hours on this already.

BTW, my computer is running on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance!

What problems did you have with version 4.15 (the latest available on our site) of Express Scribe? We generally only support the latest versions of software, please install this version. What file format are you attempting to load into Express Scribe?

Oh my gosh! I started bring home transcription Cds to download with express scribe. I spent hours! trying to remedy what was going on. But after i had to download each file seperately they still did not play! It read 0:00 in the duration column! All of them! Has anyone figured out the remedy for this yet?HELP!

The files I'm attempting to load are .WMA files. I've tried so many things, including the latest version, that at this point I really don't remember what the problem was with the latest version, but I think it was the same. If I do get a file to look like it's loading, the duration reads 0:00, and when I try to play it, nothing is there. After messing around with the new version, I looked for comments here and saw suggestions to load the old version because it's less buggy. Since I've been successful with that on my other computer, I tried to go back to it. Still no go.

Meanwhile, on the computer I've been successfully transcribing on using EScribe, now if I go into the "recover old files" window and recover a file, it comes up with a duration of 0:00!

What's going on?

Oh my gosh! I started bring home transcription Cds to download with express scribe. I spent hours! trying to remedy what was going on. But after i had to download each file seperately they still did not play! It read 0:00 in the duration column! All of them! Has anyone figured out the remedy for this yet?HELP!

I had this problem a year or so ago and I'm trying to remember what I figured out about it. Did you use the "load CD audio tracks" command in the file menu? If not, try that. If you did use that and it didn't work, I'd recommend trying (just a sample, don't do them all until you find something that works!) copying one of the CD tracks to your hard disk, then loading into EScribe. I think it's one of these two methods that worked for me. Good luck!

The files I'm attempting to load are .WMA files. I've tried so many things, including the latest version, that at this point I really don't remember what the problem was with the latest version, but I think it was the same. If I do get a file to look like it's loading, the duration reads 0:00, and when I try to play it, nothing is there. After messing around with the new version, I looked for comments here and saw suggestions to load the old version because it's less buggy. Since I've been successful with that on my other computer, I tried to go back to it. Still no go.

Meanwhile, on the computer I've been successfully transcribing on using EScribe, now if I go into the "recover old files" window and recover a file, it comes up with a duration of 0:00!

What's going on?

WMA files....do you have the latest version of Windows Media Player? I download the new version the second it comes out and also keep my other programs on my computer updated and have never, ever had a problem with ES and I load DSS, WMA, MP3, and many, many others.

DG

• 2 weeks later...
Which problem particularly? There are no known issues with the current version 4.16 of Express Scribe.

Is it possible that the "recover old files" in versions 4.15 or 4.16 is looking into the C:\documents and settings\[username]\application data\nch swift sound\scribe\current, whereas the location of earlier versions -- your correspondents say they were using v.02 -- was in c:\documents and settings[all users]\...\scribe\current? If they look in that latter file manually, I suspect they might find their wayward files, and they can move them into the new version of Scribe.

I would not recommend using ExpressScribe as a place to store files. I always keep copies of my files in appropriate folders, and completely delete them from ES, using ctrl delete, when I'm done proofing them. I have very little HD space compared to the newer computers, and use slightly more than half of it. All audio files are backed up and removed from the HD every 6-12 months, or deleted if there's no reason to keep an archive.

Hope that helps, KRN

• 6 years later...

I have one file that I've worked on for two days now and when I try to use the foot pedal, the file is evidently corrupted? It just makes sounds. I've tried other files, they work fine. The file itself plays just fine in other playback software.