smtp problems with fastmail and others

jtdogg

Greetings,

I am trying to send dictation to my secretary using Fastmail's (Aus) smtp server, and no matter what I do, I get the error message "unable to connect to server..." I also tried my university's smpt server with no luck. I have tried user names, passwords, different ports, etc, with no luck. I have tried both using my work computer and my home computer (both use xp pro).

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Jeff

Guest nchto

Please ensure that you are correctly typing the full smtp mail address as the "unable to connect to server" message suggests that it cannot find the server which is likely due to a typo. It also may be a firewall/antivirus issue where it is blocking Express Dictates attempt to access the internet.

Please ensure that you are correctly typing the full smtp mail address as the "unable to connect to server" message suggests that it cannot find the server which is likely due to a typo. It also may be a firewall/antivirus issue where it is blocking Express Dictates attempt to access the internet.

nchto,

Thanks for your reply. I typed the same smtp information that I have used for several email clients (Thunderbird, outlook, pine, etc). I have not had any trouble with those email clients, so I don't know why I am having trouble with ExpressDictate.

Re firewall/antivirus, I have tried on 3 separate computers, using different anti-virus and firewall settings, with no luck.

Any other thoughts? I'm hoping to hear from tech support as well.

Best regards, jeff

What method are you using to send the email? In the email settings window you are presented with three options, try using some of the others available if you are experiencing issues. The MAPI option uses your email client to send the email and according to you this still functions, so you should at least have one option which works.