distortion with playback speed control

mills.186

I'm not very techie but just successfully loaded ExpressScribe on my iMac, ( X 10.4.10), had no trouble loading some .wav files (created by digitizing some old analog tapes) from a CD. I just dragged and dropped them from the open cd folder. They play perfectly audibly (sound identical to the original analog tapes) at normal speed but distort disastrously if I slow down or speed up more than about 5%. I need to slow down in some cases to get enough acuity for phonetic transcription (these are Persian dialect tapes). Two of my students are using the same created wav files with Express Scribe on their PC's and say they aren't having bad distortion problems. In the specs for Express Scribe it says that available speed control is supposed to correct for pitch. This is far worse than pitch problems- it's gravelly to the extreme, inaudible at minimal slow-down. Any advice? thanks-

Guest nchto

Express Scribe tries to minimise the distortion from speeding/slowing down files. The version available for Mac is a couple releases off the main version, and some of this code may have changed (which is why you get different results for the different versions). The Mac version should be updated soon hopefully, once our Mac developers are finished with WavePad.

I'm not very techie but just successfully loaded ExpressScribe on my iMac, ( X 10.4.10), had no trouble loading some .wav files (created by digitizing some old analog tapes) from a CD. I just dragged and dropped them from the open cd folder. They play perfectly audibly (sound identical to the original analog tapes) at normal speed but distort disastrously if I slow down or speed up more than about 5%. I need to slow down in some cases to get enough acuity for phonetic transcription (these are Persian dialect tapes). Two of my students are using the same created wav files with Express Scribe on their PC's and say they aren't having bad distortion problems. In the specs for Express Scribe it says that available speed control is supposed to correct for pitch. This is far worse than pitch problems- it's gravelly to the extreme, inaudible at minimal slow-down. Any advice? thanks-