Timecoding in scribe

bprocter

We are trying to work out if it is possible to insert the timecodes from Scribe into a word doc. As far as we can see the stop / start shortcuts work but we cannot get it to copy the time. We have set up a new shortcut/hotkey of ctrl + shift + T as copy time and this works on the scribe doc but not on MS programs. Does anyone know how we can make this work / if it's possible?

Many thanks :unsure:

Guest nchto

The "Copy Time" hotkey copies the current time location of the dictation to the clipboard where it is accessible from any program. In Word you can simply paste the time in to the correct location. If you are still having troubles try using a different hotkey combination as another program may be using the one you currently have set.

The "Copy Time" hotkey copies the current time location of the dictation to the clipboard where it is accessible from any program. In Word you can simply paste the time in to the correct location. If you are still having troubles try using a different hotkey combination as another program may be using the one you currently have set.

That's great, many thanks :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nchto

Select the Control tab from the Express Scribe Settings window and press the Add... button under the "System Wide Hot Key Assignment" heading. Then simply select a key combination and select the "Copy Time" command.

• 10 months later...
Select the Control tab from the Express Scribe Settings window and press the Add... button under the "System Wide Hot Key Assignment" heading. Then simply select a key combination and select the "Copy Time" command.

I love the "copy time" option, but am wondering if anyone knows how to make it possible to do this in fewer steps, rather than having to copy the time to the clipboard and then pasting into a document. Any way to just use keystrokes to get it right on the document, bypassing the clipboard? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I love the "copy time" option, but am wondering if anyone knows how to make it possible to do this in fewer steps, rather than having to copy the time to the clipboard and then pasting into a document. Any way to just use keystrokes to get it right on the document, bypassing the clipboard? Thanks!

There are various solutions: on the Mac, for instance, you can use a keyboard macro application like iKey to set up a universal (works across all applications) macro that uses ES's copy-time-to-clipboard followed by the system's insert-from-keyboard. Assign this macro to a single key combo (eg Ctl-Alt-t). This approach doesn't of course "bypass the clipboard", but the user doesn't have to think about the clipboard. There must be similar system-wide macro handlers available for Windows. (Google for "macro free Windows).

We are trying to work out if it is possible to insert the timecodes from Scribe into a word doc. As far as we can see the stop / start shortcuts work but we cannot get it to copy the time. We have set up a new shortcut/hotkey of ctrl + shift + T as copy time and this works on the scribe doc but not on MS programs. Does anyone know how we can make this work / if it's possible?

Many thanks :unsure:

I have a word macro for your use. By pressing a short cut we can put scribe time in to MS word cusor location. not only time with some words too. eg inaudable(3:57) or simply (3:57) . Please send your mail id to me

I have a word macro for your use. By pressing a short cut we can put scribe time in to MS word cusor location. not only time with some words too. eg inaudable(3:57) or simply (3:57) . Please send your main id to me

It might be useful to post the Word macro up here in the forum.

The advantage of a system-wide macro system like iKey, of course, is that it doesn't confine you to using any particular word processor. For example, I transcribe my interviews into Google Docs. AFAIK there's no Google Docs macro system for doing something like that. And if I decide I want to transcribe a particular interview into another text system like TextEdit or Word I can just go ahead without changing anything.

And of course with a system-wide macro system too you can always use additional keystrokes to expand the insertion. Eg: "<8:32>" (angle brackets round the time) or "<expletive deleted @ 3.46>".

When selecting Control, hot keys, I find no selection that says "copy time" in the window. When I select Add or Change to try and enter a selection for Copy Time, it just deletes or changes the selection. Do I need to download another version of ES? I have the 4.11 edition. Thanks for your help.

I have a word macro for your use. By pressing a short cut we can put scribe time in to MS word cusor location. not only time with some words too. eg inaudable(3:57) or simply (3:57) . Please send your main id to me

I would like some assistance with the same problem. I cannot find "copy time" anywhere in my program. Could you send the same information to me? Thanks - wrh

• 4 weeks later...
When selecting Control, hot keys, I find no selection that says "copy time" in the window. When I select Add or Change to try and enter a selection for Copy Time, it just deletes or changes the selection. Do I need to download another version of ES? I have the 4.11 edition. Thanks for your help.

Ditto here. I've had this program for two years and have never been able to reconfigure hotkeys. "Copy time" is the one I really need and don't have the option for it.

Ditto here. I've had this program for two years and have never been able to reconfigure hotkeys. "Copy time" is the one I really need and don't have the option for it.

I transcribe into Word in a separate screen, and have to copy & paste time codes. The fastest way I can figure out how to do it is I changed CTRL+F to "copy time". Now I can hit CTRL+F followed by CTRL+V (for the normal paste command) and I don't have to move my fingers all over the keyboard to copy & paste timecodes.

Here's how you reconfigure the hot keys, at least in 4.10. (I'm afraid to update my ES because of the whole .dss thing):

-Go to the "Control" button on the toolbar across the top

-Select "Hot Key Setup". This opens a box that says "Press Key"

-Type in the key combination you want - in my example, CTRL+F. This opens a box that says "Select Command", with a dropdown menu.

-Highlight "copy time" and click OK.

If anyone has any better ideas for timecodes, though, let me know!!

Betsy

I've had this program for two years and have never been able to reconfigure hotkeys. "Copy time" is the one I really need and don't have the option for it.

If you're running v4.19 or earlier you may be suffering from the "Hot-keys unable to be deleted unless running with administrator privileges" bug that was fixed in v4.20, so try upgrading.

The full list of commands that you can assign in Scribe v4.22 is:

Open Express Scribe

Minimize Express Scribe

Play

Stop

Go to start

Go to end

Rewind

Fast Forward

Play Real Speed

Play Slow Speed

Play Fast Speed

Copy Time

Copy Sender Name

Copy Sender Email

Copy Sender Details

Done

Set Bookmark

Go to Bookmark

Go to Previous Bookmark

Go to Next Bookmark

Volume Up

Volume Down

Step back 5s

Step forward 5s

Play (With Pausing)

Hide/Show Control Window

Copy System Time

Copy System Date

If you're running v4.19 or earlier you may be suffering from the "Hot-keys unable to be deleted unless running with administrator privileges" bug that was fixed in v4.20, so try upgrading.

The full list of commands that you can assign in Scribe v4.22 is:

Open Express Scribe

Minimize Express Scribe

Play

Stop

Go to start

Go to end

Rewind

Fast Forward

Play Real Speed

Play Slow Speed

Play Fast Speed

Copy Time

Copy Sender Name

Copy Sender Email

Copy Sender Details

Done

Set Bookmark

Go to Bookmark

Go to Previous Bookmark

Go to Next Bookmark

Volume Up

Volume Down

Step back 5s

Step forward 5s

Play (With Pausing)

Hide/Show Control Window

Copy System Time

Copy System Date

Thanks, all. It did finally cooperate upon upgrading again. I set up a "copy time" in ES, and then in Word I created a macro to "paste" and then also format the time code to the correct format. Only two steps!

• 5 weeks later...

I would love those macros. I manually type my times and [unclear +time]. I am a fairly new ES user and just found this forum. Am so glad