switch converted mp3s

hi. i've used switch free to convert an mp3 to a lower mp3 on a mac and use it with a flash audio player. the result is that when i play through flash is playing very fast, about 3 times than normal. with iTunes it's ok.

if you need a sample just ask.

is this a known bug?

This seriously sounds like it's more of an issue with Flash player. I may be able to help if that is the case but in any event it would be useful in solving your problem if you could provide samples along with which version of Flash player you are using and make sure you're using the latest version of Switch.

switch 1.1.2 mac, and win

http://www.ralcr.com/switch_tests/

open the html's. you can see the same song converted on a mac, and on a pc. first is playing faster, the second is playing normal. both at 56kps.

i hate to run windows even for a small job like this. i don't know what converters exists for mac but i tryed another one that has poor quality with the same bitrate.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an oddity of flash, which can pop up with MP3's from various sources not just switch. Basically the flash mp3 decoder only supports a few sample rates 44Khz and 22Khz seem to be fine.

(I though it used to be only 44hertz so maybe older flash players are more picky than the current one)

at any rate since you said 3x speed I'm going to guess you were encoding at 24kbps which switch encodes at 16Khz. And flash will make the mistaken assumption that it is 44Khz (44/3=14.66)

I don't see that there is any way to control the hertz of the output file in Switch. But if you chose 32kbps it will produce a 22khz file that will play in flash. If that won't do then lame (or other mp3 compressor) can produce a lower bitrate file at 22Khz.

Note: lame will only take a 44khz stereo PCM file as a source, so if your source is a voice mail system that uses ADPCM or the like you may need to convert it with something like Switch first.

I guess this ought to be a feature request for switch then, to allow control of sample rate of mp3's to work with flash player, that is what I was joining this board to check into myself.

This seriously sounds like it's more of an issue with Flash player. I may be able to help if that is the case but in any event it would be useful in solving your problem if you could provide samples along with which version of Flash player you are using and make sure you're using the latest version of Switch.

Thanks for the reply, but I wonder what Flash has to do with Switch. As for samples all I could really do is to show the file name of the file that worked: Brian Freeman - Track 21.m4pa that became Brian Freeman - Track21.mp3. I can't show the other because SWITCH showed it couldn't be done; and that's the point of my question.

As for the SWITCH version, I just installed it Tuesday, Version 1.12; I just checked and it is the latest. it is supposed to include the Advanced feature.

Flash is V 7.0.19.0 which I see is old. I'll get a later version and see what happens.

I appreciate all the replys, but am completely confused by the comments on Flash. Does Flash really get involved with SWITCH showing that it "may not be supported". When I try the result is a big X and the statement, "the file could not be opened." Hmmm...yet when I send it to Real Player it plays.

This is really getting to be confuzin' <_< and not very amuzin' :P